Mr. Morden tribute thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:48:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Mr. Morden tribute thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Mr. Morden tribute thread  (Read 7090 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2023, 04:03:53 PM »
« edited: May 30, 2023, 04:09:32 PM by The Vatnik to Fertilizer Pipeline »

Also, the humorless tweens of this site need to stop whining at Ishan about making that thread. It was funny in context and based on a joke that Morden himself made. Knowing him, I bet he'd be happy that we were getting some enjoyment/humor out of it even after he's gone.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2023, 04:48:36 PM »

Very sad news for someone who spent nearly eighteen years posting, engaging and contributing to the forum. He will be missed. An old school stats geek that I've always had respect for.

RIP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2023, 06:38:12 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2023, 10:01:05 AM by Torie »

Very sad, particularly given he predeceased his mother, so too young, and I thank his mother for letting us know. He was a unique poster here for his self restraint as to opinions, combined with his sense of humor and diplomatic skills (he was so kind in allowing me to take under my wing problem posters without characterizing me as hopelessly naive, which I may well have been), and for correcting my punctuation (you failed to close your second parenthesis there Torie, you naughty one you). May this place remember and honor you in a suitable way, Mr. Morden.  You epitomize a kinder time in a public square gone toxic. So in that sense, your loss is particularly poignant for me.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2023, 08:15:33 PM »

This man wrote over 40,000 posts without once giving a single editorialization on an issue. That alone elevates him to gigachad status.

Terachad.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2023, 09:19:43 PM »

This man wrote over 40,000 posts without once giving a single editorialization on an issue. That alone elevates him to gigachad status.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2023, 09:14:22 AM »

To be honest I didn't really know the guy very well; but just now I decided to look-up his profile to re-familiarize myself with some of his posts I may have seen over the years and he had this joke in his signature by a user named Lunar,

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.

But you should do it.  You can always quit! Smiley

Which had me laughing more than it should have, considering I've never been a moderator. On this forum anyhoo. But it's clear he had a good sense of humor. And I'm glad to see it also looks like he spent some of his time here writing a book! Which is something I aspire to do myself someday.

I didn't know you very well, but I hope you're in a better place and at peace Mr. Morden. Thank you for being apart of this great community.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2023, 02:22:53 PM »

RIP to a forum legend Sad
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2023, 02:42:54 PM »

The thing that always impressed me was his ability to quickly find any kind of obscure Atlas-related event from years back. Somebody would post "there was a poster who did such and such" and he would always reply with a bunch of links from like 2009. To me this is irreplaceable, BRTD comes close - but nobody has quite the depth of knowledge of this obscure forum that he did.

If anybody hasn't read the "Magnum Opus" linked in his signature by the way, then I highly recommend it. I read it back in about 2019, it's very entertaining and illuminates all sorts of nearly forgotten Atlas memes.
CherryBlink
United States
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2023, 05:25:08 PM »

If anybody hasn't read the "Magnum Opus" linked in his signature by the way, then I highly recommend it. I read it back in about 2019, it's very entertaining and illuminates all sorts of nearly forgotten Atlas memes.

How does a person get to the "Magnum Opus" link?  I'd be curious to see it but am not adept at navigating this site.  Thank you!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2023, 05:40:58 PM »

How does a person get to the "Magnum Opus" link?  I'd be curious to see it but am not adept at navigating this site.  Thank you!
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=175586.0
Here.
Btw, congrats on raising such a great son.
CherryBlink
United States
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »

Here.
Btw, congrats on raising such a great son.
[/quote]

Thank you for the link and for the lovely compliment!
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2023, 06:29:04 PM »

If I die and my mom starts posting on this site, please don't start showing her my post history. kthnx
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2023, 08:05:20 PM »

The thing that always impressed me was his ability to quickly find any kind of obscure Atlas-related event from years back. Somebody would post "there was a poster who did such and such" and he would always reply with a bunch of links from like 2009. To me this is irreplaceable, BRTD comes close - but nobody has quite the depth of knowledge of this obscure forum that he did.

I don't think anyone can fill the role he maintained as Forum Lore Curator. His level of recall was unmatched.

Just a great person all around.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2023, 03:00:01 AM »

I can't say I knew him well, but I knew he was one of the most respected members of this forum. When someone has that sort of respect, you sort of afford that individual a similar or even higher level of respect. I can't add much more than what was already said and some said it so well. I can only add that I remember him as one of the most thoughtful people here with a light humorous bent. I wasn't aware that he was an astrophysicist, but that only increases my respect. I've always thought it was one of the best and most admirable jobs in the world (emphasis on "always").

I offer a moment of silence and may he RIP.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2023, 07:56:12 AM »

Rest in peace, Mister Morden. You will be missed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2023, 08:23:16 PM »

My world turned upside down when my mom down I didn't expect her to die when I was so young I know what's it's like if it's true I have avoided this topic because of my mom

I know we all will die we aren't vampires but death is unexpected it's supposed to be unexpected
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2023, 04:56:02 PM »

It's vanishingly rare to have the offline achievements Mr. Morden had together with one of the most flawless and universally beloved online personas in this little corner of the internet. Shows how much I know if we only found out about the former after he left us, but even with what we did know, he was one of a very few posters I aspired to be like without equivocation in any respect. A true Atlas legend, RIP FF.

And seriously, a thank you to his mother for taking time to let us know – you know better than any of us what a blessing the was and it's sad to have only condolences to offer in return. I hope you and yours celebrated his life well.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2023, 06:10:48 PM »

Quoting him on every single “Opinion of Bronz” thread is going to hit different now.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2023, 06:24:29 PM »

He was a great poster.

RIP Sad
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2023, 01:22:05 AM »

Just realized that since my math teacher used to work as an astrophysicist at Cal it's entirely possible he knew Mr. Morden.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »

What else can be said that hasn't been said in some form in this thread already? The fact that he was such a kind, intelligent, analytical, level-headed, and all around quality poster like he was can't be faked. Something of that magnitude can only be accomplished to that degree if one is even outside this online Bubble World a truly good person. Despite my deep personal privacy someone I would have enjoyed to get to know as a person.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2023, 11:43:51 PM »

RIP.

He probably was a cool guy.

Cry
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2023, 10:03:14 AM »

for two weeks now I've been trying to find the right words to post here but every attempt is inadequate because mere words aren't enough to honor Mr. Morden. The best I can do is throw words on the page and hope they convey at least part of the message I'm trying to convey.

Morden was the best of us. He was always clever and kind and exceptionally funny. His jokes never failed to make me laugh. His encyclopedic memory of forum minutia was unparalleled, and it was extremely impressive how he always had the perfect link or quote or fact about forum history to share for every possible situation, casually referencing ancient events even his fellow forum old-timers had long forgotten. I'd be willing to bet that literally every person who joined this website in the last eight years got a majority of their forum "lore" knowledge from Mr. Morden's posts.

He was without a doubt the best moderator to work alongside, and I always appreciated when he and I would be assigned to the same board - I would have definitely lost my mind trying to manage the 2012 Presidential Election board without him

I'm going to miss him so fking much, it's hard for me to even wrap my head around the fact that he's gone. It's not fair that he was taken from this mortal coil so suddenly, with no warning, while still in the prime of his life. It's a frightening reminder of the very fragile nature of human life.

We have lost one of our brightest stars and it won't be the same without him.

Rest in peace, my friend
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2023, 08:56:45 PM »

This is very sad. He was one of the most pleasant posters we had here, and I can't think of a single bad interaction I ever had with him. He was particularly kind to me during some difficult times, and I appreciated him reaching out to me during those times. May he rest in peace.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2023, 04:39:35 AM »

Everyone of us are gonna die its fate, but the question is extend your life like not doing drugs or participate in unprotected sex HIV is still out there, its nothing wrong with abstinance its HIV out there

My mom, grandma and Dad didn't extend their life and JFk, Bobby Kennedy and Dr King did things that didn't extend their life like JFK removing security on back of limo, Bobby going thru kitchen and King waiting til the 1970s or a later time to protest in TN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies