IPSOS poll: Brazil is the country with highest share of LGBT+ in the world
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:53:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  IPSOS poll: Brazil is the country with highest share of LGBT+ in the world
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IPSOS poll: Brazil is the country with highest share of LGBT+ in the world  (Read 543 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2023, 04:07:23 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2023, 04:12:04 PM by Red Velvet »

15% of Brazilians identify as LGBT+, the highest of the 30 countries asked by IPSOS.

The % indicates anyone who identify as:

- Homosexual
- Bisexual
- Pansexual
- Asexual
- Transgender
- Non-binary/Genderfluid
- Any gender that isn’t male or female

Considering only Homosexuals + Bisexuals (LGB), Brazil is still the highest:

Most LGB:

1. Brazil - 12% (5% homosexuals + 7% bisexuals)
2. Spain - 11% (6% homosexuals + 5% bisexuals)
3. Netherlands - 10% (3% homosexuals + 7% bisexuals)
4. Colombia - 9% (4% homosexuals + 5% bisexuals)
5. United Kingdom/New Zealand/Australia/Canada - 8% (4% for both homosexuals and bisexuals) and United States - 8% (3% homosexuals + 5% bisexuals)

Least LGB:

1. Japan - 1% (1% bisexuals)
2. Peru/Ireland - 3% (1% homosexuals + 2% bisexuals)
3. South Korea - 4% (1% homosexuals + 3% bisexuals) and Poland - 4% (2% homosexuals + 2% bisexuals)
4. Romania/Sweden - 5% (1% homosexuals + 4% bisexuals) and Italy/Hungary/Portugal/Singapore - 5% (2% homosexuals + 3% bisexuals)

30 country average - 7% (3% homosexuals + 4% bisexuals)

Full report can be found on: https://www.ipsos.com/en/pride-month-2023-9-of-adults-identify-as-lgbt

Switzerland and Thailand were the countries with most people who identify as Transgender.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 04:14:21 PM »

Tsk, tsk, can't see your fellow Global Southerners appreciating that.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »

Eh, the 2021 UK census said that ~4% of the population were LGBT?
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 09:29:46 PM »

I'm not surprised about Brazil, but from a religious and cultural standpoint, it's surprising to me that the majority of openly gay people are in two very Catholic countries. As far as I know, Catholics agree with Eastern Christians on this issue, so homosexuals among them should feel uncomfortable.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 09:33:56 PM »

I'm not surprised about Brazil, but from a religious and cultural standpoint, it's surprising to me that the majority of openly gay people are in two very Catholic countries. As far as I know, Catholics agree with Eastern Christians on this issue, so homosexuals among them should feel uncomfortable.

Its actually the evangelicals in Brazil who are the most anti LGBT
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 11:36:05 PM »

VAI BRASIL CARALHO CAMPEÃO DO MUNDOOOOOO
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 03:17:11 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 03:23:36 AM by Red Velvet »

I feel it’s not that different between USA and Brazil. It’s more the hard evangelicals (protestants) that are anti-gay in both countries, not the general population. Both have similar rates of approval for gay marriage and gay adoption as well according to same ipsos report:

USA: 68% favor gay marriage or civil unions; 17% are against; 15% unsure

Brazil: 66% favor gay marriage or civil unions; 14% are against; 20% unsure

USA: 64% favor adoption by gay parents; 26% are against; 10% unsure

Brazil: 69% favor adoption by gay parents; 22% are against; 9% unsure

Very similar levels of acceptance in both, although somewhat lower than Western Europe (including Spain, which is catholic but still one of the BEST places to be gay tbh!)

It’s completely different logic in Europe, where the protestants are not really associated to hardline cultural conservatism. It’s actually catholics in places like say, Poland/Italy/etc. You’re probably closer to Eastern Europe or to Northern Europe if you think Catholics tend to be the more religious or conservative ones.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 05:18:10 AM »

I am pretty sure a survey like this is too affected by methodological challenges (just look at the disclaimer about online samples for half of the countries surveyed) to be taken as more than a very rough estimate, but I do find it funny that it has Italy as less LGB than average but significantly more T+ than average. It also does not match my experience at all.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 06:15:42 AM »

I am pretty sure a survey like this is too affected by methodological challenges (just look at the disclaimer about online samples for half of the countries surveyed) to be taken as more than a very rough estimate, but I do find it funny that it has Italy as less LGB than average but significantly more T+ than average. It also does not match my experience at all.

We are dealing with margin of error percentages if you break it down by country. Italy scored exactly 0% trans in the last survey two years ago.

Overall it's Gen Z where there isn't proportionally more trans or gays, but rather more gender fluidity and bisexuality than millennials which reflects other surveys.

Dubious data 'collection' methods aside, it does seem that recorded identity is catching up with recorded behaviour with respect to Kinsey et al.

Which is also why we have a resurgent moral panic as non heteronormative identity gets closer to 20% than 10% and generationally speaking outstrips religious identity and perhaps even secular-national identity in some ways.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 09:43:36 AM »

Yes, findings that only 1-3% of the population is non-heterosexual have never really rung true.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »

Yes, findings that only 1-3% of the population is non-heterosexual have never really rung true.
What falls under non-heterosexual expanded over the years. Non-binary wasn’t even a thing, and the definitions were far narrower.
There’s also a looping effect here, introducing a category like non-binary allowed people who didn’t fall under any of the old categories to start identifying as something else.

LGBT twenty years ago was about who you had sex with. It’s far wider than that now
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 10:37:12 AM »

What falls under non-heterosexual expanded over the years. Non-binary wasn’t even a thing, and the definitions were far narrower.
There’s also a looping effect here, introducing a category like non-binary allowed people who didn’t fall under any of the old categories to start identifying as something else.

LGBT twenty years ago was about who you had sex with. It’s far wider than that now

As an active gayer, I can assure you that wasn't what LGBT was about twenty years ago. Rights were not obtained by being defined by 'who we had sex with', that was how opponents defined and othered us, but by who are were, and who we loved.

Laying into a bit of a stereotype here but most sexually active gay men were more than aware of how many 'totally straight' men there are out there.... Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies