SR 115-33: Fair Democracy Amendment (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:44:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 115-33: Fair Democracy Amendment (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SR 115-33: Fair Democracy Amendment (Debating)  (Read 4493 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2023, 09:05:49 PM »
« edited: May 28, 2023, 12:40:32 PM by I'm a Kennedy! I'm not accustomed to tragedy »

AN AMENDMENT
To ensure fair represention in local government

Be It Resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled, that upon ratification by 2/3rds of the Regions, the Constitution shall be amended as follows:

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Fair Democracy Amendment

Section 2. Amendment for electoral reform

Section 4 of the Constitution is hereby amended:

1. No regional-administered election shall admit as eligible voters any person having resided in any other region within the fifty-six days prior to the commencement of the election.

2. In addition, no subregional senate election shall admit as eligible voters any person having resided in any other region within the fifty-six days prior to the commencement of the election.

3. Aside from the exceptions as laid out by this section, no region-wide or subregional election may deny any person the right to vote who would, if a federal election were held concurrently, be eligible to vote in such an election.

4. Term lengths for regional legislators and executives shall not exceed four (4) months.

5. Each legislative body shall elect at least one (1) at-large member. This clause may not be suspended, unless a region adopts a direct democratic system.

Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This Constitutional Amendment removes the possibility of imposing year-long or indefinite term lengths for regional officials, and requires at least one legislator to be elected at-large, unless a region chooses to adopt a direct democratic system.
Sponsor: Scott

The gentleman from Alaska is recognized.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 09:14:04 PM »

Yup, another amendment to undo the damage created by some individuals.

While I generally prefer a hands-off approach to regional governments, the fact of the matter is that the South as it currently exists is an oligarchy. The Senate, the Supreme Court, and the Atlasian people have each affirmed the integrity of our union.

I cannot stress enough that under different circumstances, I would not introduce this amendment. However, it's clear that one of our regions has rejected democracy and disenfranchised its people as a result. While I oppose term limits, there should be no year-long terms for any non-judicial officer in the game.

Let's bring democracy back to the South. Reconstruction 3 is going to be much harder to overcome than the Kansas fiasco, but we have to start somewhere.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 09:19:40 PM »

I think we should go for mandating that all members of regional legislatures to be elected at large rather than just one.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 09:23:57 PM »

I think we should go for mandating that all members of regional legislatures to be elected at large rather than just one.

When I was IDS Emperor (good old days, Yankee!) we had districts and there didn't seem to be any problems at the time. I'm open to eliminating them at this point, though. I'll give other senators the opportunity to read the amendment and give their input - since it's kind of a BFD.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 09:39:10 PM »

When I was IDS Emperor (good old days, Yankee!) we had districts and there didn't seem to be any problems at the time.

Good times!

I'm open to eliminating them at this point, though. I'll give other senators the opportunity to read the amendment and give their input - since it's kind of a BFD.

The At-Large minimum could be raised to 3. The IDS system would be legal under that arrangement.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 09:41:34 PM »

At the same time, with recent events, the argument could be made that all at-large is better for a variety of reasons.

In the time of the IDS, the districts had vastly different political compositions, so rather than compound a lean of the region, they accentuated the existing divides and ensured more diverse representation thus than would be the case now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 10:00:19 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2023, 10:07:40 PM by I'm a Kennedy! I'm not accustomed to tragedy »

I will be deferring to Yankee and LT quite a bit, since it's their region we're trying to fix and both have put tremendous effort into resolving these problems. Here's an amendment that requires all legislators to be elected at-large:           

Quote from: Amendment
Section 2. Amendment for electoral reform

Section 4 of the Constitution is hereby amended:

1. No regional-administered election shall admit as eligible voters any person having resided in any other region within the fifty-six days prior to the commencement of the election.

2. In addition, no subregional senate election shall admit as eligible voters any person having resided in any other region within the fifty-six days prior to the commencement of the election.

3. Aside from the exceptions as laid out by this section, no region-wide or subregional election may deny any person the right to vote who would, if a federal election were held concurrently, be eligible to vote in such an election.

4. Term lengths for all regional legislators and executives shall not exceed four (4) months.

5. Each legislative body shall be composed of only elected at-large members. This clause may not be suspended, unless a region adopts a direct democratic system.

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 10:04:26 PM »

That phrasing leaves he door slightly ajar to non at-large members with the absence of the word "all" or maybe "only".

I can see someone electing two at-large members and saying "the constitutional requirement is satisfied" while then proceeding to elect 4 by districts. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 10:08:38 PM »

That phrasing leaves he door slightly ajar to non at-large members with the absence of the word "all" or maybe "only".

I can see someone electing two at-large members and saying "the constitutional requirement is satisfied" while then proceeding to elect 4 by districts. 

Hopefully the wording here is more clear:

5. Each legislative body shall be composed of only elected at-large members. This clause may not be suspended, unless a region adopts a direct democratic system.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 10:10:35 PM »

A "direct democratic system" is also too vague since having any sort of citizen's initiative system could satisfy the constitutional requirement. A universal legislature of all registered voters or an initiative system without a regional legislature should be options.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »

Let's try this again. Tongue

5. Each legislative body shall be composed of only elected at-large members. This clause may not be suspended, unless a region adopts a universal legislature composed of all registered citizens.

How's this?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 10:19:24 PM »

This looks good.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 10:20:42 PM »

Good, good! The revised amendment is formally submitted. Senators have 24 hours to object.             
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 06:54:36 AM »

I object. I prefer the "at least three members" language.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 07:54:13 AM »

I object. I prefer the "at least three members" language.
Letting the South go back to a 3 at large and 2 subregional system would only further enable supermajorities to be won by the disgraced secessionists who fully intend to abuse them.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2023, 07:56:53 AM »

Objection withdrawn
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2023, 09:42:33 AM »

Change SR 115-32 to 115-33 (counting error), there's a SB 115-32 thread already.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »

Can I add an amendment that would allow for direct democracy at the federal level or would that remain better at a regional level?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2023, 01:49:18 AM »

Can I add an amendment that would allow for direct democracy at the federal level or would that remain better at a regional level?

Yes you can.

It never hurts to propose an amendment, it stimulates debate.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2023, 11:19:03 AM »

Well, this amendment only pertains to what the regions can do. If you want to propose direct democracy at the federal level, I'd introduce a separate resolution.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2023, 12:40:54 PM »

Direct Democracy Amendment

THE  DIRECT DEMOCRACY Amendment; adjusted from the proposed LGC Direct Democracy Act

SECTION I — Title
This legislation may be cited as the Direct Democracy Act.

SECTION II — Power To The People
1. Atlasia shall allow for all those registered to vote to vote on legislation agreed to by the Senate.

SECTION III — Implementation
1. The process of laws will not change, just that the people including the representatives can vote in favor or against in the Ballot box.
2. The overall model will be most similar to the model used in Switzerland as well as introduce a People's Council which will decide on and vote on matters impacting Atlasia once every four months on a date agreed to by the Senate and President.
3. Will introduce weekly Fireside Chats where concerned and/or curious citizens can publicly contact the President's office regarding certain policies or make proposals that can be debated by the senate.
4. Citizens will not be deregistered or face other legal consequences for not voting.

Stature I: Allowing for citizen-ballot iniatives
1. Any registered voter can propose a law but proposals can be nullified if 4/5 of the senate disagrees to it. 

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2023, 12:57:25 PM »

With all due respect, Christian Man, I would rather you introduce a separate resolution, in the legislation thread. That is not relevant to what this amendment is trying to accomplish. Also, you can't simply codify "The overall model will be most similar to the model used in Switzerland" because that is legally baseless.

If you insist on that amendment, I'll object and we'll have a vote on it. But I would implore writing an improved amendment and submitting that to the queue.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2023, 02:03:14 PM »

Tabling my amendment
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 09:36:39 PM »

To add to his point, typically you firmly declare "something is or is not".

Phrases like "Will introduce" should be more like "X will be" or "X shall be"

In this case "the President shall hold weekly fireside chats".

As presently composed, it reads more like an outline for what you will do in a campaign post, rather than an actual bill or constitutional amendment.

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 09:17:25 PM »

There needs to be something explicitly specifying a minimum number of legislators for a legislative chamber. Personally, I feel 4, but do 3 if that is what can pass. The current language doesn't specify a minimum and could allow the South to have a legislative chamber of only 2 members, which favors the SNP even more than the old 3/2 system did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies