Jared Polis is a "South Park Democrat"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:34:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Jared Polis is a "South Park Democrat"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jared Polis is a "South Park Democrat"  (Read 698 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2023, 04:12:19 PM »

Years ago, some conservatives started talking about the phenomenon of a "South Park Republican." That would be mostly young people who adopted the irreverent philosophy and beliefs of South Park's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, which often seemed conservative in comparison to the typical Hollywood orthodoxy.

Today, however, Parker and Stone seem to be the exact kinds of people who have flipped their home state of Colorado from red to blue. They both seem to be huge fans of current CO governor Jared Polis AND have, in their own media, moderated. They publicly apologized to Al Gore for their earlier mocking of his climate advocacy. They literally f--ked Donald Trump to death in their first episode dealing with his candidacy. They have mocked Trump supporters and Republicans relentlessly since 2015 at least. They even moderated on their views on LGBT issues; no longer do you hear the f-slur and "gay" thrown around by the kids as insults and one episode seemed to retract an earlier one mocking trans people.

Polis and modern South Park keeps many of the "Don't tread on me," common sense government, small l "libertarian" principles alive and well, however. Polis's response to COVID was responsible, level-headed, and in hindsight has been totally vindicated as maybe the best path any governor took. He has found reasonable middle ground on issues such as guns, and been a staunch advocate for choice when it comes to abortion and gay rights (he himself is a gay man). He has kept Colorado as one of the best, most economically viable states in the nation, attractive to businesses while at the same time a welcoming and reasonable place for individuals and families to settle and find a great quality of life.

In my opinion, this is like the best of both worlds. This is how America could and should be governed going into our future. And if Polis has any presidential ambitions at any point, lord knows I'll be at his side without hesitation. The "South Park Democrat" has replaced the "South Park Republican," from the highest to the lowest levels (as in the creators themselves probably vote D now, as do the remaining fans who weren't scared off by their treatment of Trump), and it's honestly a model for the nation going forward IMO.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »

The question is whether the South Park wing and the Family Guy wing of the Democratic Party can ever coexist.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 03:59:36 AM »

I am of the opinion that the United States of America should not be governed by an animated sitcom's principles.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 04:35:10 AM »

I am of the opinion that the United States of America should not be governed by an animated sitcom's principles.

My political philosophy is based entirely on 1960s and early 1970s Mad Magazine.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 10:28:59 AM »

Jared Polis is too good for America, sadly.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 04:36:18 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2023, 04:42:20 AM by Blue Grit »

GET 'EM, AGNEW

As for the topic at hand though, it's notable that Polis was the only Democratic member of the Liberty caucus. Perhaps his brand of centre-left small-L libertarianism can continue to be supported by the "thought leaders" of our time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 12:07:09 PM »

Awful term. What we need are "Family Guy Democrats"
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 08:34:40 PM »

The question is whether the South Park wing and the Family Guy wing of the Democratic Party can ever coexist.

Of course they can, just handle the Eastern states to the RI-based FG Democrats and the West to the CO-based SP Caucus
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 09:38:57 PM »

Of course they can, just handle the Eastern states to the RI-based FG Democrats and the West to the CO-based SP Caucus
Elegant solution.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 11:56:02 PM »

this literally reads like a dril tweet
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 01:16:57 PM »

Jared Polis is unbelievably based, and will hopefully become President of the United States at some point.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »

I honest to god cannot think of a less flattering description for a member of my own party than "South Park Democrat".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 05:36:15 PM »

I honest to god cannot think of a less flattering description for a member of my own party than "South Park Democrat".
indeed, the left's irrational hatred of South Park makes this a bad PR move for him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 08:58:26 PM »

indeed, the left's irrational hatred of South Park makes this a bad PR move for him.

We love South Park now though, and we kind of always did.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 09:30:28 AM »

We love South Park now though, and we kind of always did.

There's still an affronted, rosary-clutching strain in some left-liberal discussions of the show. I'm obviously happy to engage in affronted rosary-clutching when I think the situation calls for it, and I'm not as huge a fan of Jared Polis as are most people on this forum, but it's not exactly a helpful way for a country's center-left to approach insufficiently genteel art.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 11:37:27 AM »

One person (BRTD) does not constitute a "wing"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies