Instances where a better candidate lost the primary?

(1/7) > >>

Redban:
Trump’s probable victory in the 2024 primary naturally provokes the response, “but he won’t win the general”

So I ask: in history - have there been instances where the better candidate lost the primary?

i’m especially curious  about  instances in history where the losing party failed to nominate someone who could have won or, at very least, done significantly better

I won’t consider instances where the winning party could’ve nominated someone who could’ve done better. For example, some people say Hillary would have done better in the South and therefore won by a bigger margin in 2008. But Obama won, so who cares.

I think:

1). Mitt Romney in 2008 would have lost, but he would’ve fared better than McCain in the general. McCain was a foreign policy expert at a time when the economy became the #1 focus, by far. He was too connected to Bush, having voted with Bush over 90% of the time. And his age, height, and disabilities created too much of an unfavorable image contrast to the youthful Obama.  Romney was more distanced from Bush, he had more of an economical background (CEO of Bain Capital), and since he was so handsome, he wouldn’t have been outclassed appearance-wise by Obama

2). I think Ronald Reagan would’ve beaten Carter in 1976. That Reagan was able to take it to a contested convention against an incumbent is a sign that Reagan 1976 was as charismatic as he was  in Reagan 1980. Ford himself didn’t lose by much, and Reagan was a far better candidate than Ford

Any other examples?

Vosem:
Reagan/Ford 1976 is the classic example of this. It vaguely seems to me like McCain beating Bush might've been similar in 2000, but it's difficult to say.

NorCalifornio:
Quote from: Redban on May 24, 2023, 07:28:56 PM

1). Mitt Romney in 2008 would have lost, but he would’ve fared better than McCain in the general. McCain was a foreign policy expert at a time when the economy became the #1 focus, by far. He was too connected to Bush, having voted with Bush over 90% of the time. And his age, height, and disabilities created too much of an unfavorable image contrast to the youthful Obama.  Romney was more distanced from Bush, he had more of an economical background (CEO of Bain Capital), and since he was so handsome, he wouldn’t have been outclassed appearance-wise by Obama

Very surprised you consider this an asset, as it certainly wasn't in 2012. Even other Republicans used Romney's tenure at Bain to accuse him of being a "vulture capitalist" who made money off of layoffs. Those attacks would have resonated even more in 2008.

Mr. Smith:
Bernie Sanders, twice.

the artist formerly known as catmusic:
this never happens!! especially not recently!!

haha how'd that get there

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page