Delaware megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:48:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Delaware megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Delaware megathread  (Read 2253 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2023, 10:32:29 AM »

With Carper's retirement official and Carney term-limited we are likely to start seeing movement in the Delaware Democratic primaries very soon.

This could get very competitive - the Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, New Castle County Executive, and prominent state legislators could all get in and run credible campaigns, not to mention any potential self-funders.
Duke of York

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 12:47:46 PM »

Lisa Blunt Rochester will very likely run for senate and Bethany Hall Long probably runs for Governor. I could see Kathy Jennings running as well.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 09:15:54 AM »

Lisa Blunt Rochester will very likely run for senate and Bethany Hall Long probably runs for Governor. I could see Kathy Jennings running as well.

Is she going to be better than Carney? Latter was a pretty bland corporate Dem.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »

Rochester is at least part of the Progressive Caucus, though how progressive idk
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 11:17:39 AM »

Rochester is at least part of the Progressive Caucus, though how progressive idk

She has been labeled a “PINO” (Progressive in Name Only) by RootsAction, which pointed out that she:

-Has not supported Medicare for All and/or the Green New Deal;
-Has voted to increase the military budget instead of decreasing it;
-Has not supported waiving Covid vaccine patents;
-Has taken substantial donations from special interests, including health insurance companies, defense contractors, pharmaceutical companies, pro-Israel lobbies, and fossil fuel lobbies;
-Voted with Republicans in 2018 to weaken banking regulations.

All of which directly contravene core progressive values.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 11:22:56 AM »

Has McBride made any noise about running for office?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »

I don't know if McBride runs for this--but she has very close ties to the Democratic establishment so I wouldn't be surprised if she runs for the open house seat.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 09:12:58 AM »

I was more talking about the gubernatorial race since Rochester looks more likely to enter the senate contest.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 11:27:27 AM »

The chatter I'm hearing seems to be about the Lieutenant Governor Bethany Hall-Long and Attorney General Kathy Jennings. Jennings apparently raised a not-insignificant amount of money for her re-election last year and spent considerably as well to lay the groundwork for this race and could start with a built-in advantage for those reasons alone.
Duke of York

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 11:54:37 AM »

The chatter I'm hearing seems to be about the Lieutenant Governor Bethany Hall-Long and Attorney General Kathy Jennings. Jennings apparently raised a not-insignificant amount of money for her re-election last year and spent considerably as well to lay the groundwork for this race and could start with a built-in advantage for those reasons alone.

I think its likely both of them run.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 06:34:34 PM »

I don't know if McBride runs for this--but she has very close ties to the Democratic establishment so I wouldn't be surprised if she runs for the open house seat.

Not entirely sure why she wouldn't, being the first Transgender member of congress is an opportunity I don't think most people would pass on.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 06:38:21 PM »

Not entirely sure why she wouldn't, being the first Transgender member of congress is an opportunity I don't think most people would pass on.

Especially with the last two years of such open vitriol towards trans individuals it’d be an amazing feat
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 04:40:37 AM »

New Castle County Exceutive Matt Meyer becomes the first major candidate to enter the race.

New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced Tuesday that he will run for governor in 2024, becoming the first candidate to enter the race.

Over the years, Meyer has been a polarizing figure, including to some members of his own party. He has frequently publicly sparred with the county’s police union, which supported his opponent during his bid for county executive reelection in 2020.

Not long into his tenure, the police union representing the New Castle County Police Department filed a lawsuit against Meyer’s administration. It accused Meyer of diminishing the police chief’s power by giving more authority to the county’s top human resources manager on how police are punished for workplace infractions.

County police officers also publicly blasted the county executive on multiple occasions over compensation. (Meyer had repeatedly said that every officer was offered a raise.) Against the advice of the police chief, Meyer in 2021 released body camera footage of a shooting involving county officers in the death of 30-year-old Lymond Moses.

It was the first time the county has ever released such a video. Activists hailed Meyer for this decision.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 09:06:01 PM »

Meyer will probably get it unless an African American jumps into the race.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 11:06:58 PM »

I'm inclined to disagree with separating this one on racial lines.

First off, assuming they jump in, the favorites are Lieutenant Governor Bethany Hall-Long and Attorney General Kathleen Jennings, both of whom are White Women. I expect one or both to jump in, and for Meyer to drop down to the House seat that Lisa Blunt Rochester is vacating for her Senate bid, where he'd be favored.
JMT

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 11:31:10 AM »

Duke of York

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »

I'm inclined to disagree with separating this one on racial lines.

First off, assuming they jump in, the favorites are Lieutenant Governor Bethany Hall-Long and Attorney General Kathleen Jennings, both of whom are White Women. I expect one or both to jump in, and for Meyer to drop down to the House seat that Lisa Blunt Rochester is vacating for her Senate bid, where he'd be favored.

Hall-Long is running.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 05:45:31 AM »

https://whyy.org/articles/eugene-young-john-carney-endorsement-delaware-house-primary/
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 07:32:56 AM »

"Whyy" is my sentiment exactly.
Duke of York

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 08:59:00 AM »

what is your issue with him?
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 09:37:03 AM »

I'd assume Peebs supports McBride, who would be the first transgender member of Congress, over the governor's preferred pick.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 10:15:55 AM »

What Farmlands said. I have nothing in particular against Governor Carney or Mr. Young for that matter, I just support Senator McBride's quest to become Congresswoman McBride.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 04:57:13 AM »

Young got another endorsement https://www.insidernj.com/press-release/u-s-senator-cory-booker-endorses-eugene-young-jr-to-be-the-next-u-s-representative-for-the-great-state-of-delaware/
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 05:57:45 AM »

Well I'm gonna be honest, I think it should be go to the most capable person. Anyone wanna give a brief rundown?

I'm guessing Joe Biden's endorsement would be vital to win?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 02:11:39 PM »

Well I'm gonna be honest, I think it should be go to the most capable person. Anyone wanna give a brief rundown?

I'm guessing Joe Biden's endorsement would be vital to win?
i dont see biden endorsing in primaries
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies