KY (Coefficient - Cameron internal): Beshear +2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:49:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY (Coefficient - Cameron internal): Beshear +2
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY (Coefficient - Cameron internal): Beshear +2  (Read 1380 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2023, 09:54:19 AM »

Maybe Beshear will end up losing and I'm not saying he's safe, but it's hard to call him an underdog at this point.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 10:05:22 AM »

I'm hesitant to call this race Lean D, but it seems like it could be a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing year for governorships.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 10:10:31 AM »

This and MS are gonna be close
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »

Not bad, though not that great either, I guess? Weren't early polls in Kentucky always more Democratic-leaning?

Tossup remains tossup.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 01:44:47 PM »

Tossup at best for Democrats. Beshear was up by way more at this time in 2019.
Duke of York

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »

This is also a Republican internal poll. Wouldn't put much faith in it.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »

Not bad, though not that great either, I guess? Weren't early polls in Kentucky always more Democratic-leaning?

Tossup remains tossup.

Generally, yes.  IMO the consensus here is way too high on Beshear.  I'm not saying he can't win, but I don't expect him to win easily.

We tend to put a lot of weight on some pretty old history, and while I get that the "old school Dem" approach can still work occasionally in the Clinton-McCain-Trump states, I've always thought Beshear could also fit in the "only won because his opponent was a crazy person and/or corrupt" category.  In general, these people struggle to hold on for reelection against a Generic R/D unless their initial margin of victory was very large, and Beshear only won by ~5K votes.

It's also possible some people are anticipating a Bradley effect, but the fact that Cameron already won statewide and in a landslide (and against a long-serving white Appalachian Dem) makes that implausible IMO.     
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 02:27:01 PM »

Tossup remains tossup.

Generally, yes.  IMO the consensus here is way too high on Beshear.  I'm not saying he can't win, but I don't expect him to win easily.

We tend to put a lot of weight on some pretty old history, and while I get that the "old school Dem" approach can still work occasionally in the Clinton-McCain-Trump states, I've always thought Beshear could also fit in the "only won because his opponent was a crazy person and/or corrupt" category.  In general, these people struggle to hold on for reelection against a Generic R/D unless their initial margin of victory was very large, and Beshear only won by ~5K votes.

It's also possible some people are anticipating a Bradley effect, but the fact that Cameron already won statewide and in a landslide (and against a long-serving white Appalachian Dem) makes that implausible IMO.     

Sorry for throwing shade, but I distinctly remember you saying the same about Laura Kelly
Spectator
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 02:46:18 PM »

Tossup remains tossup.

Sorry for throwing shade, but I distinctly remember you saying the same about Laura Kelly

I think the big takeaway of people like Laura Kelly, John Bel Edwards, and Roy Cooper holding on in tough states against well-funded credible challengers is that it’s seldom a good bet to guess an incumbent Governor will lose if their approval rating is above water. I think the last Governor that lost despite an approval above water was Bob Ehrlich.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 03:13:18 PM »

Tossup remains tossup.

Yes, I was mildly surprised that she won reelection, but you have to admit it was considerably closer the 2nd time around.  I don't think there's any way Kelly would still be governor without Dobbs. 

There's also a clear Dem trend in Kansas even presidentially, which puts it in a different category IMO.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 03:21:51 PM »

Reeves is only 2 pts ahead too
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 04:10:00 PM »

Why would you release an internal with you trailing by any amount in a state where the partisan lean heavily favors you?

That aside I have a feeling this race might have Blanco vs. Jindal vibes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »

co/efficient is also horrific - they were awful in the midterms and they botched the KS abortion vote last summer by like 20%
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 04:29:22 PM »

co/efficient is also horrific - they were awful in the midterms and they botched the KS abortion vote last summer by like 20%
Issue polling is absolute garbage(not defending this particular pollster, they are obviously trash)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 05:26:38 PM »

You're so optimistic.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 07:01:22 PM »

Honestly, Beshear +2 is a very believable result.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 07:18:45 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2023, 07:31:21 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Provisions ballots always fav Ds, the race was based on Provisions ballots last time in 2019 and Beshesr won, Presley is in it too
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 03:43:12 PM »

Polling was relatively sparse last time but I remember one poll that gave Bevin a like 8 point lead and that made certain people here almost blow up the forum with their smugness. Oops…

Suffice it to say, if Cameron is down by any amount in an internal from a suspect R-leaning pollster, that’s not great for him. But at the same time, polling is often sketchy here and just like in 2019, I won’t make my prediction based primarily on polling.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 04:37:20 PM »

Rs are supposed to sweep all three the fact that it's competitive in 2/3 is bad news these are R22 states MS and KY and they lost AK H and KS Gov the 303 map is 😊 ne and we can win some red states Allred isn't 7 pts back he is five and Beto lost by 11
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies