AZ-1: Amish Shah in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:41:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-1: Amish Shah in
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-1: Amish Shah in  (Read 1036 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2023, 06:07:19 PM »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2023/04/03/amish-shah-run-arizona-1st-congressional-district/70073495007/

State Rep. Amish Shah announced Monday he is running for Congress in Arizona's 1st Congressional District.

The seat is held by U.S. Rep. David Schweikert, R-Ariz.

"I'm proud of the overall record (at the State Capitol) in that I've been able to move a lot of legislation, (with the) most number of bills of anyone in my party," Shah, D-Phoenix, said. "The most number of bill votes in committee, most number of bills passed through the chamber, most number of bills signed into law."

He cited as examples legislation that would allow cities to ban fireworks after 11 p.m., that would remove the requirement of an additional special consent form for HIV testing, and that would streamline the system of prior authorizations in Arizona before a medical procedure.

Shah, 45, has been in the Arizona House of Representatives since 2019. He initially represented Legislative District 24 until redistricting last year, and now represents Legislative District 5.

Shah is board certified in emergency room and sports medicine and works at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. He has a master's in public health, and health care policy is one of his areas of expertise. Shah is running on a platform of universal health care and says that access, staffing shortages, and costs are some of the main problems with the current health care system.

Shah is a fantastic recruit, and Schweikert is not a strong incumbent. Barring a GOP wave, or Biden losing Arizona, I think this seat flips.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 06:53:01 PM »

Another Indian doctor going after Schweikert, will be interesting to watch. The McCain people like Schweikert though, not sure if they will vote for a progressive over him.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 10:09:43 PM »

I’m very glad Jevin isn’t running. He’s not a good fit for this district.

Despite being popular in his own LD, Shah has pissed some people off within the D apparatus. He voted in favor of a religious exception for a bill banning LGBTQ+ conversion and against OTC birth control access.

I live in the district and won’t vote for him.

I assume it will be Marlene Galan Woods.

The district will flip in 24 regardless of the D nominee, though.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 07:24:35 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:42:04 PM »

Another Indian doctor going after Schweikert

I was going to make the same observation, lol
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 09:43:26 PM »

Eh I won't miss her. She was the Democratic Trump in 2020, albeit in a much more minor race and her supporters didn't go insane. (For those that don't know, she tried to raise money by crying election fraud despite no evidence.)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 08:03:46 PM »

The former CEO of the Red Cross in Arizona, Kurt Kroemer is in.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 08:53:14 PM »

Despite being popular in his own LD, Shah has pissed some people off within the D apparatus. He voted in favor of a religious exception for a bill banning LGBTQ+ conversion and against OTC birth control access.

As I mentioned here, Marlene Galan Woods is the one to watch and the probable nominee. She just filed.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 09:17:30 PM »

So Democrats will be targeting a House seat in Arizona with... a former TV news anchor who was long a Republican.

The writers can't even try to be original anymore?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 10:54:16 PM »

As I mentioned here, Marlene Galan Woods is the one to watch and the probable nominee. She just filed.

What advantages does she have over the rest of the field that makes her the favorite?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 01:16:24 AM »

What advantages does she have over the rest of the field that makes her the favorite?

1. Her husband was Attorney General so she has connections. She’s raised money for state Ds and was a major force behind Fontes in 22. In short, she knows people and actually was just in DC a few days ago per her Twitter (presumably will be getting blessing from national Ds).

2. To the above post’s point gesturing to Kari Lake, she’s an actor and TV journalist. She is a capable speaker.

3. She fits the district. Unlike Jevin Hodge who is in his 20s and hasn’t done much professionally, she’s older, cultured and affluent — and an ex-moderate Republican, lol. She is the swing AZ-01 voter.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 04:16:36 AM »

Lean D
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: