Colorado Springs Mayor race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:55:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado Springs Mayor race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Colorado Springs Mayor race  (Read 1663 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »

Yemi Mobolade (I) 65,791 57.53%
Wayne Williams (R) 48,570 42.47%

https://coloradosprings.gov/may-16-2023-mayoral-run-election-results

(Officially a non partisan race but....)

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:31:42 PM »

The GOP is truly just done in Colorado lol.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »

Williams conceded.   That was quick.

Spectator
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 09:00:27 PM »

A progressive immigrant from Africa won in Colorado Springs… Let that sink in. CO-05 will flip in the next blue wave midterm.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 09:18:09 PM »

HOOOOOLY S***
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 09:20:05 PM »

Chad Polis
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 09:52:16 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2023, 09:58:32 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Colorado is the Republican equivalent of what Florida is for Democrats, except perhaps even worse now because at least Democrats are still somewhat viable for local races down there.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »

This is an absolute shock, this could mean CO-05 could be competitive by the end of the Decade.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 09:57:53 AM »

Is Mobolade really a proxy for the Democrats? He's a ministry leader at an evangelical church, all of his degrees are from evangelical colleges, and he's worked with the Colorado Springs chamber of commerce and small business administration. Maybe he's not part of the Colorado Republican machine, but those things don't scream liberal, either; they seem pretty par for the course for Colorado Springs.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 10:36:52 AM »

This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone who follows Colorado trends. The Springs have been shifting blue for a while now as its population has been growing dramatically. CO-05 went from needing to take in a handful of mountain counties to being not all of El Paso in ten years

When Lamborn retires it’ll probably flip
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 12:46:32 PM »

Jesus. I guess that's pretty much it for Republicans in Colorado.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 05:54:13 PM »

Even though Mobolade is not a Democrat, I love to see Republicans continual collapse in Colorado.

*my off-topic thoughts below*

Colorado is one of the few states (or places in general) that I would move to if I were to ever leave New York. It's beautiful there.

Even though I'm very much an urbanite East Coaster, the rugged Western Rocky Mountain lifestyle is appealing to me, and it's the only state in the Rockies (besides New Mexico) to lean blue.

Hopefully, I will get to visit Colorado sometime soon.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 07:20:49 PM »

A progressive immigrant from Africa won in Colorado Springs… Let that sink in. CO-05 will flip in the next blue wave midterm.

Is Mobolade really a progressive though? I honestly agree that CO-5 is within reach for Democrats in a good year, but I've read his endorsements and campaign website and he doesn't seem like an ideological left winger.

Whether he can be defined as "progressive" may be unimportant in the grand scheme of things though https://gazette.com/election-coverage/yemi-mobolades-victory-marks-seismic-shift-in-colorado-springs-analysis/article_d0afa790-f44a-11ed-a4f2-0bb80c573ff1.html
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »

No one is expecting the new mayor to be a progressive AOC TITAN. He will obviously govern from the CENTER.

But he was clearly the preferred choice of Democratic lean voters and Colorado Springs does not vote that much to the LEFT of El Paso County.

The margin is wide enough that I believe that Mobolade  would have won in a county wide race last Tuesday.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »

No one is expecting the new mayor to be a progressive AOC TITAN. He will obviously govern from the CENTER.

But he was clearly the preferred choice of Democratic lean voters and Colorado Springs does not vote that much to the LEFT of El Paso County.

The margin is wide enough that I believe that Mobolade  would have won in a county wide race last Tuesday.
Colorado Springs almost may as well be El Paso County.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 08:26:03 PM »

There are around 250,000 people in El Paso County outside of Colorado Springs. That is a large chunk of the county. And outside of Colorado Springs does vote a little to the right of the city proper.
DS0816
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 08:35:46 PM »

No one is expecting the new mayor to be a progressive AOC TITAN. …

Alexandria Ocasio–Cortez, when you look at her voting record, is not progressive.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »

The margin is wide enough that I believe that Mobolade  would have won in a county wide race last Tuesday.

It’s interesting that, if anything, Pueblo is going right while El Paso is going left. Especially when both used to be strongholds for the other side.

Trump 2016 was the first Republican to win Pueblo since 1972, and Biden did the best in El Paso since 1964
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 09:19:45 PM »

This is good news. Williams is honestly not so bad as far as Republicans go but it's still good to keep him off the bench. If he won he would have been a good of a recruit for statewide office as Republicans could get out here.

With that said I'm still skeptical about toppling Lamborn any time soon. Jimmie is right that the city is the most liberal part of the county and there's still other territory outside the county to consider. And I imagine there are tons of Mobolade-Lamborn voters out there. The race could maybe flip with a ton of investment in the next cycle but I think if Dems are patient here it will be a lot easier to pick off at the end of the decade.

There are around 250,000 people in El Paso County outside of Colorado Springs. That is a large chunk of the county. And outside of Colorado Springs does vote a little to the right of the city proper.

I'm pretty sure Fort Carson couldn't vote in the Springs's mayoral race and that's definitely to the right of the city.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 08:27:35 AM »

Democrats should recruit an insurance policy candidate in CO-05, decent chance Lamborn has another tough primary andhis potential defeat gives Dems a real opening here.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2023, 01:16:13 PM »

Democrats should recruit an insurance policy candidate in CO-05, decent chance Lamborn has another tough primary andhis potential defeat gives Dems a real opening here.

Lamborn is kind of anonymous and very generic Republican without being a fire breather as well.  People just literally vote for him because he is of the preferred party for the district without being controversial. He is not even anything close to moderate. Just very generic.

The fairly large military presence and large Evangelical zealot base will keep Colorado Springs pretty friendly to the GOP for a city like it for the foreseeable future.

Though I am quite sure Biden will get the city proper of Colorado Springs in 2024 unless its a Republican mini landslide at least.

People under estimate how fast the shift in El Paso County/Colorado Springs has been! Remember El Paso County voted for Trump by like 23 points in 2016 and look it it today 6/7 years later.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2023, 01:24:56 PM »

Lamborn is kind of anonymous and very generic Republican without being a fire breather as well.  People just literally vote for him because he is of the preferred party for the district without being controversial. He is not even anything close to moderate. Just very generic.

The fairly large military presence and large Evangelical zealot base will keep Colorado Springs pretty friendly to the GOP for a city like it for the foreseeable future.

Though I am quite sure Biden will get the city proper of Colorado Springs in 2024 unless its a Republican mini landslide at least.

People under estimate how fast the shift in El Paso County/Colorado Springs has been! Remember El Paso County voted for Trump by like 23 points in 2016 and look it it today 6/7 years later.

What were the 2020 presidential numbers for Colorado Springs if anyone knows? Biden only lost El Paso County as a whole by 11 points.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2023, 01:30:58 PM »

What were the 2020 presidential numbers for Colorado Springs if anyone knows? Biden only lost El Paso County as a whole by 11 points.

I believe Trump won it by three points in 2020 and won it by 16% in 2016.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2023, 01:39:59 PM »

I believe Trump won it by three points in 2020 and won it by 16% in 2016.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd be shocked if it didn't flip next year.

Geez, when would have been the last time Colorado Springs voted for a Democrat for president? LBJ I'd assume.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2023, 02:34:55 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2023, 02:19:29 AM by Peltola for God Empress »

It’s wild to think that Republican could probably, if not likely, have just one congressman from Colorado by the end of the decade.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies