Which was more likely (1972)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:27:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which was more likely (1972)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In a world where George Wallace didn't get shot in 1972, which presidential ticket that year was most possible or least impossible to ever have occurred?
Wallace/Chisholm '72
Chisholm/Wallace '72
Both equally possible/equally impossible
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which was more likely (1972)?  (Read 685 times)
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2023, 11:33:39 PM »

Remember that Wallace had already started to begin his decades-long endeavor of "reforming" his image by the time he started his 1972 campaign.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 09:06:15 PM »

If he wasn't shot, neither. If he was, but won anyway, I could in some bizarro world see him pick Chisholm as a pivot to his reformed image and simply because he personally would be fond of her after her hospital visit to him.

But even then, tiny chance.
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 09:47:26 PM »

If he wasn't shot, neither. If he was, but won anyway, I could in some bizarro world see him pick Chisholm as a pivot to his reformed image and simply because he personally would be fond of her after her hospital visit to him.

I didn't even know about that before I posted this lol. That happened?

I mean, it honestly didn't surprise me to read it, considering everything I know about what the state of the Union was in the 1970s, but still... that happened?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 01:47:21 AM »

I didn't even know about that before I posted this lol. That happened?

I mean, it honestly didn't surprise me to read it, considering everything I know about what the state of the Union was in the 1970s, but still... that happened?
yep, a very interesting story.

https://www.buttonmuseum.org/buttons/wallace-and-chisholm-all-us

When Wallace was shot and paralyzed, cutting his campaign short, Chisholm visited him in the hospital. Chisholm later said that Wallace was surprised to see her. He was so touched by the political risk she took in visiting a vocal segregationist that he cried.

To characterize their connection as a friendship might be a stretch, but Chisholm’s gesture of compassion made an impression on Wallace. He later helped Chisholm bring Southern congressmen around on the issue of extending minimum wage protections to domestic workers.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 09:46:06 PM »

It would not have happened.

George Wallace did not dislike George McGovern.  And George McGovern wanted George Wallace's endorsement.  Up until election day, McGovern asked Wallace to at least state who he voted for.  Wallace likely voted for McGovern, as Nixon was his enemy and was seeking to put him in jail for corruption.  But he told McGovern at one point.  "Well, George, I wish you all the best but if I did that, my people would never accept it, and if you accepted (my endorsement), your people would never accept it."  McGovern's response to this was a degree of agreement. 

If he would not even give a perfunctory endorsement to McGovern out of concerns with his base, why would anyone think he'd pick Chisholm?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies