Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:47:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President  (Read 2232 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: May 19, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »

Catholics seem to be increasingly well-represented among politicians, and as the largest denomination, with a bipartisan and multiracial base, more Catholic presidents would be a safe-money bet.

Since the question is new denominations, I think it's likely to be one of the Pentecostal groups, like Assemblies of God or the Foursquare Church. They might be downscale of mainliners, but being so large in number, upwardly-mobile members tend to get into the professional class and get elected as Republicans.

I'd also count Trump as non-denominational (rather than Presbyterian or Reformed, from his pre-presidential years), although it is, of course, not a denomination.

Trump is technically non-denominational but I would very much consider him a Mainline Protestant.

I think the next "new" denomination for President is certainly going to be either Jewish, Mormon or one of the smaller Evangelical denominations. Though that raises a good question - would I be right in thinking that we've never had an actually Evangelical President? Or would someone like Carter, Clinton or some one else count?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 08:40:46 AM »

Sociologically speaking Mormonism is very obviously a form of Christianity and that is what is relevant to this question. Let's move on.

(Also, the particulars of DeSantis's religious affiliation are apparently weirdly unclear, which I didn't realize.)

Late to this article but it's fascinating. It seems as though one of two things are happening: 1) DeSantis is overly concerned about being boxed in as Catholic and wants to seem broadly Christian for political reasons, or 2) DeSantis isn't actually religious and he and his wife just appear to when it's convenient.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies