Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:35:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Next Christian Denomination to Be Elected President  (Read 2131 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2023, 11:01:02 PM »

Sociologically speaking Mormonism is very obviously a form of Christianity and that is what is relevant to this question. Let's move on.

(Also, the particulars of DeSantis's religious affiliation are apparently weirdly unclear, which I didn't realize.)

That is kind of odd.  Is he like shying away from being a Catholic due to how heavily Protestant the GOP primary electorate is?...  I mean, as previously stated, we literally nominated a frickin' Mormon 10+ years ago, lol ... I doubt being a Catholic is that big of a deal.

Also kind of hilarious that he got married at Disney World.  I am surprised he has not had a crassly public "remarriage" to his wife somewhere else yet.

I believe the answer to your first question is yes. Biden is Catholic, and the Catholic Church may be "pro-life" but is also inconveniently anti-death penalty, relatively pro-immigration and "ethnic," and the current Pope is not exactly a right-wing capitalist. 

Plus there is still residual anti-Catholicism in the South believe it or not. I've been told firsthand that the Pope is the anti-Christ by certain evangelicals... We may not be in 1928 anymore, but DeSantis being able to present himself more as an evangelical than a Catholic is probably something he's calculated as being in his favor for the primary. If he somehow won the nomination, wouldn't be surprised if he embraced his Catholicism however in an attempt to appeal to Hispanics and other ethnic minorities.

As for the Disney World thing, I didn't know that. It IS hilarious, and makes the whole feud seem oddly personal.  It's funny to think of DeSantis as one of those weird Disney adults who now is like a jilted lover lol.
so...would the South actually prefer me over Catholicism? Because that would be pretty lol.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2023, 11:50:56 PM »

Sociologically speaking Mormonism is very obviously a form of Christianity and that is what is relevant to this question. Let's move on.

(Also, the particulars of DeSantis's religious affiliation are apparently weirdly unclear, which I didn't realize.)

That is kind of odd.  Is he like shying away from being a Catholic due to how heavily Protestant the GOP primary electorate is?...  I mean, as previously stated, we literally nominated a frickin' Mormon 10+ years ago, lol ... I doubt being a Catholic is that big of a deal.

Also kind of hilarious that he got married at Disney World.  I am surprised he has not had a crassly public "remarriage" to his wife somewhere else yet.

I believe the answer to your first question is yes. Biden is Catholic, and the Catholic Church may be "pro-life" but is also inconveniently anti-death penalty, relatively pro-immigration and "ethnic," and the current Pope is not exactly a right-wing capitalist. 

Plus there is still residual anti-Catholicism in the South believe it or not. I've been told firsthand that the Pope is the anti-Christ by certain evangelicals... We may not be in 1928 anymore, but DeSantis being able to present himself more as an evangelical than a Catholic is probably something he's calculated as being in his favor for the primary. If he somehow won the nomination, wouldn't be surprised if he embraced his Catholicism however in an attempt to appeal to Hispanics and other ethnic minorities.

As for the Disney World thing, I didn't know that. It IS hilarious, and makes the whole feud seem oddly personal.  It's funny to think of DeSantis as one of those weird Disney adults who now is like a jilted lover lol.
so...would the South actually prefer me over Catholicism? Because that would be pretty lol.

Sorry, no dice. The South will take a conservative Catholic over a liberal Protestant every time.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 08:40:46 AM »

Late to this article but it's fascinating. It seems as though one of two things are happening: 1) DeSantis is overly concerned about being boxed in as Catholic and wants to seem broadly Christian for political reasons, or 2) DeSantis isn't actually religious and he and his wife just appear to when it's convenient.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2023, 12:05:18 AM »

Sorry, no dice. The South will take a conservative Catholic over a liberal Protestant every time.

Or even a conservative Mormon over a liberal Protestant, as demonstrated in 2012.

Then again, many thought Obama was a Muslim. Not to mention that other thing regarding Obama’s identity that’s historically been an issue in the South.

Still probably true though, as the South would likely have voted Republican even in a Mitt Romney vs. Al Gore race in 2012.

CelestialAlchemy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »

As someone raised in Mormonism and having a complicated relationship with it, I'd be surprised if a Mormon president was elected anytime soon, by either part. Romney was the best shot at that, but couldn't quite make it.

My guess is that a Lutheran or potentially a Pentecostal or maybe even Eastern Orthodox could be elected (perhaps in a few decades as one of those TradCaths who decided that Francis was too liberal?)

A Jewish president is much more likely than any of those but Lutheran or Pentecostal though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies