The biggest difference between Hinduism and Buddhism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:06:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  The biggest difference between Hinduism and Buddhism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The biggest difference between Hinduism and Buddhism  (Read 3002 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2014, 06:32:54 PM by Starwatcher »

These two religions are very similar, having influenced each other over thousands of years. But there are also differences, and this seems to be the biggest one (correct me if I misunderstand):

Q: Who are you, really and truly? Are "you" your body? No, it changes, and most of your cells are replaced every 7 years. Is your true self your mind/personality? No, your personality is different from year to year, even minute to minute. Your personality at 95, 50, 20, and 7 years old are probably very different. So who are you, what is your true self, when you strip everything else away?

Buddhism's Answer: You're nothing. When all of those temporary conditions are stripped away, there's nothing left. Fully realizing this, and being at peace at with this truth, brings serenity and enlightenment, and allows you to escape beyond life's suffering. Give up your desires and attachments.

Hinduism's Answer: You're the Ultimate Reality. When all of those temporary conditions are stripped away, only your atman (personal soul) is left. And your atman is the same as everyone's atman, and is even in fact identified with Brahman (ultimate reality). What you truly crave is infinite being, infinite consciousness, and infinite bliss. But in reality, you are atman, and atman is Brahman... you already have everything you truly want! Just fully realize this truth, it will bring you happiness and enlightenment, and allow you to be liberated from life's cycles of suffering. You already have everything that you truly desire.

Correct?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »

Hinduism being polytheistic and Buddhism being non-theistic seems more basic.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

Correct for Theravada but that's not necessarily right for Mahayana and Vajrayana, whose understandings of identity veer in many cases somewhat closer to that of Hinduism. As is so frequently the case I'll wait for a while to see if anvi wants to get into more detail about this and if he doesn't I can explain further.

I'd say that based on my understanding of the religions the main difference that's theoretically true of all or most Buddhisms is the decoupling of the concept of dharma from notions of caste or social positioning. It's important not to downplay how important the interrelation of these concepts is to most forms of Hinduism. They also differ notably in their understanding of deities--not necessarily their existence (this is a common misunderstanding of Buddhism that, again, is only arguably true of certain strands of Theravada. Most Mahayana and Vajrayana sects are very much polytheistic in the crude sense), but where they stand in the cosmic league tables, as it were.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 07:25:28 PM by Starwatcher »

Hinduism being polytheistic and Buddhism being non-theistic seems more basic.
Hinduism isn't really polytheistic. It's more panentheism/monism. They choose whichever god or idea gives them the best connection to the Ultimate Reality, whether it's through bhakti yoga or jnana yoga or karma yoga or raja yoga.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »

They also differ notably in their understanding of deities--not necessarily their existence (this is a common misunderstanding of Buddhism that, again, is only arguably true of certain strands of Theravada. Most Mahayana and Vajrayana sects are very much polytheistic in the crude sense), but where they stand in the cosmic league tables, as it were.

Dont understand the last sentence.

Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »

They also differ notably in their understanding of deities--not necessarily their existence (this is a common misunderstanding of Buddhism that, again, is only arguably true of certain strands of Theravada. Most Mahayana and Vajrayana sects are very much polytheistic in the crude sense), but where they stand in the cosmic league tables, as it were.

Dont understand the last sentence.

In most forms of Mahayana gods are admitted to exist, but they aren't thought of as anywhere near as powerful or important to the functioning of the cosmos as in Hinduism, and actually being a god is considered less desirable than being human from the point of view of Buddhist practice, since the existence of a god is defined by a false sense of contentedness.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

I know very little about this subject, but the Hinduism part seems right except for the "you already have what you need and all you need to do is realize that" part. I thought that "the point" of Hinduism was to progressively improve/purify the condition of your atman by adhering to the Dharma, and, once your atman is fully "pure," to escape reincarnation and be one with Brahman? Am I just totally wrong here?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 08:02:08 PM by Starwatcher »

I know very little about this subject, but the Hinduism part seems right except for the "you already have what you need and all you need to do is realize that" part. I thought that "the point" of Hinduism was to progressively improve/purify the condition of your atman by adhering to the Dharma, and, once your atman is fully "pure," to escape reincarnation and be one with Brahman? Am I just totally wrong here?
Yes. I know Hinduism much more than Buddhism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satcitananda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita_Vedanta#Identity_of_Atman_and_Brahman

You already have what you really want. But you can only escape reincarnation after fully realizing it and adapting accordingly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »

The thing I've never quite understood about Hinduism and Buddhism is why one should want to end the cycle of reincarnation.  Frankly, if reincarnation were true, experiencing a variety of lives sounds much more preferable, even if some particular incarnations are not preferable.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 09:11:24 PM by Starwatcher »

The thing I've never quite understood about Hinduism and Buddhism is why one should want to end the cycle of reincarnation.  Frankly, if reincarnation were true, experiencing a variety of lives sounds much more preferable, even if some particular incarnations are not preferable.
In the Hindu view, it's perfectly acceptable to live as many lives as you want. They just think that eventually, you'll see that an infinite number of lives without enlightenment would never satisfy what you truly want (and the "good news" in Hinduism is that you already have what you truly want, you just need to fully realize it). Liberation (moksha) is just one of the 4 paths in Hinduism, but all paths are considered valid... the other three being duty (dharma), worldly success (artha), and pleasure (kama, NOT karma). Also, most Hindus and Buddhists don't literally believe in reincarnation, and see it more as a metaphor for how we are really all the same after you strip away all the superficial characteristics of body and personality.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:09 PM »

Also, most Hindus and Buddhists don't literally believe in reincarnation, and see it more as a metaphor for how we are really all the same after you strip away all the superficial characteristics of body and personality.

A lot of people in Southeast Asia are going to be very surprised to see you say that. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:54:13 PM »

Also, most Hindus and Buddhists don't literally believe in reincarnation, and see it more as a metaphor for how we are really all the same after you strip away all the superficial characteristics of body and personality.

A lot of people in Southeast Asia are going to be very surprised to see you say that. 

Well, there's always going to be a disparity between the views of the average person vs. the theologian.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

Oh. btw, does anyone know of any good sources to read up on Buddhist theology (preferably online)? I have a very limited understanding of such things.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »

Well, there's always going to be a disparity between the views of the average person vs. the theologian.

As somebody who aspires to be a theologian, I submit that the views of the average person are of significantly greater relevance in discussions like this, and they're by and large what I've been discussing in this thread so far.
Meursault
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

Why? Few laypeople in any religion know why they believe what they believe.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2014, 09:24:56 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Why? Few laypeople in any religion know why they believe what they believe.

I'll assume you wouldn't like an appeal to populism as an answer to this question so I'll just say that it's because the actions of laypeople generally have more observable results in terms of relations between different religions than do the actions of theologians. A theologian's importance is, with the obvious exceptions like the D.T. Suzukis and Thomas Mertons of the world, more internal to the religion, which means that it's entirely suitable for some types of discussion, just not, I think, this sort of cross-comparison (at least not on a forum ostensibly about politics!). Emphasis on generally, since there are certainly things that theologians, or ordained leaders who may or may not have specifically theological training, can do to influence ecumenism or interfaith relations on their own initiative when they really want to.
Meursault
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »

I don't actually disagree with you; the actions of the masses create a theology, and the theologians come along behind them to tidy it up. But on the other hand, within established religions, the latitude for mass influence is drastically reduced, particularly once people begin believing for no better reason than "tradition". In these cases the theologian counts for far more.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

As somebody who aspires to be a theologian, I submit that the views of the average person are of significantly greater relevance in discussions like this, and they're by and large what I've been discussing in this thread so far.

Of course.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2023, 03:15:52 PM »

Any other thoughts on the fundamental differences between the 3rd and 4th largest religions?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies