Men and women are just different, can't you agree? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:24:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Men and women are just different, can't you agree? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Men and women are just different, can't you agree?  (Read 1813 times)
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« on: May 07, 2023, 09:29:21 PM »

Women like different things than men. Gender is wired that way, or am I outdated in some aspects?

There is no conformity among women or men as groups. There are stereotypes which are somewhat based in reality, but they do not equate a full description of these groups. Without conformity it is hard to say "men and women are different" because of their interests. I'm a dude; I hate sports, I hate beer, I want my soap to smell like fruit and vanilla, I cry at movies, I like being the little spoon, I like cooking and cleaning, I'm interested in the arts, I like clothing and fashion, sometimes I like messing around with makeup or gender-bendy outfits. I'm still a dude.

Biology is a thing, of course. Males and females have different equipment. But that's a sex topic, not a gender topic.

Gender being a social construct has more to do with the assumed roles of men and women. It doesn't mean that being male is a social construct - it means that the societal expectation of "being a man" is something we created, that has little to do with biology. What about being born male means I should like beer instead of a fruity drink? What about being born male means I should be allowed to wear blue but not pink? What about being born male means I should have to hide my emotions and toughen up? I understand that there are arguments for why we might have been predisposed to create these gender norms, but in 2023, what is their purpose? And even if it's a predisposition - it was still created. And these things change at rapid pace; remember how 10 years ago it was considered completely scandalous for men to wear skinny jeans? Now every straight dude of every political affiliation is wearing them. If there's an ever-changing set of rules and expectations, how are these not things we have created?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies