Neurodivergent members of Talk Elections.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Neurodivergent members of Talk Elections.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: I am. Are you?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Neurodivergent members of Talk Elections.  (Read 1470 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 08:10:10 AM »

If the majority of the forum is neurodivergent, does that term even make sense ?

Kinda like asking if black people are really a minority while in a black church in Atlanta.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »

Social phobia, Asperger's Syndrome (or whatever it's now called) and depression have all been diagnosed. Also have characteristics of OCD and ADHD.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2023, 03:08:05 AM »

If the majority of the forum is neurodivergent, does that term even make sense ?

Kinda like asking if black people are really a minority while in a black church in Atlanta.
I mean giving the expanding defintion of neurodivergency i'm not sure if by the standards of contempary pyschiatry the majority of the global population isn't neurodivergent.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2023, 05:38:10 AM »

At this point, I wonder what the f**k I don't have lmao
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2023, 11:55:01 AM »

yes i'm gay
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2023, 05:46:59 PM »

Yeah, I got diagnosed with Autism at the age of 3.

I generally seem to function quite well, but I do have traits and weaknesses that do appear.

I didn't really discuss it for a good quarter of a century, but in the last year I've really opened up about it for the first time. And autism does I believe explain a lot of my personality, a lot of my positive features but also a lot of my problems.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2023, 06:27:35 PM »

Yeah being autistic and having ADHD has affected me a lot. I think in the last few years - I've learned how to be more social and the like during the past few years but I still have baggage from the past which makes people treat me differently.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2023, 03:13:21 PM »

Diagnosed with Asperger's back in, like, 2004-05, when I was 3. I spent, like, 14-15 years as a literal neurodivergent minor, and now not even my neurodivergence is a minor.

Asperger's is now known as "high-functioning autism".  I know, because I have it. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2023, 03:22:16 PM »

Diagnosed with Asperger's back in, like, 2004-05, when I was 3. I spent, like, 14-15 years as a literal neurodivergent minor, and now not even my neurodivergence is a minor.

If you don't mind me asking, how does it affect you in life?
Working is... a struggle. I lasted two months at the Amazon sort center before I couldn't take it anymore. I was starting to get the hang of being a Walgreens temp, but flunked the pre-employment questionnaire for a permanent position because I was too honest with my answers. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just take the L and see about going on disability.

I feel you on that one.  Personally, I'm definitely capable of working; one might even say that certain jobs are "right up my alley". 

The thing is, nobody seems to want to take a chance and employ me.  Even when I apply for the "up my alley" jobs, companies will acknowledge receiving my application...then they never get back to me. 

I'm not sure why this is; perhaps something about me rubs them the wrong way? Or maybe they think that if they employed someone who is "disabled", they'd have to spend extra money on the old "reasonable accommodations"...and don't want to do it because of that. 

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat.  At this point, I've pretty much said "F it, I'll do my own thing".  So I'm self-employed, LOL. 
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2023, 03:25:26 PM »

Asperger's is now known as "high-functioning autism".  I know, because I have it. 
Yeah, but I was calling it what it was called then. I call it autism most of the time myself.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2023, 03:28:42 PM »

Yeah, but I was calling it what it was called then. I call it autism most of the time myself.

Ah, OK. 
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2023, 03:30:59 PM »

I have been diagnosed with a lot of mental illnesses... I am "not well" to use the old phrase.

I've tried to kill myself too many times and I've paid a terrible price along the way.

I have social anxiety, I don't like being around people most of the time, I have hardly any social life to speak of, and there seems to be no future ahead for me except going to see my counselors and weekly therapist.

I'm surprised so many here are bravely and honestly being open about themselves, it does make you feel less alone...

Such highly intelligent people on this forum, very knowledgable, and very passionate about what they believe in.  Smile
FairBol
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2023, 03:36:16 PM »

I have been diagnosed with a lot of mental illnesses... I am "not well" to use the old phrase.

I've tried to kill myself too many times and I've paid a terrible price along the way.

I have social anxiety, I don't like being around people most of the time, I have hardly any social life to speak of, and there seems to be no future ahead for me except going to see my counselors and weekly therapist.

I'm surprised so many here are bravely and honestly being open about themselves, it does make you feel less alone...

Such highly intelligent people on this forum, very knowledgable, and very passionate about what they believe in.  Smile

Damn.  Hang in there; it gets better, I promise.  Smiley
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2023, 05:02:07 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, how does it affect you in life?
Working is... a struggle. I lasted two months at the Amazon sort center before I couldn't take it anymore. I was starting to get the hang of being a Walgreens temp, but flunked the pre-employment questionnaire for a permanent position because I was too honest with my answers. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just take the L and see about going on disability.

I feel you on that one.  Personally, I'm definitely capable of working; one might even say that certain jobs are "right up my alley". 

The thing is, nobody seems to want to take a chance and employ me.  Even when I apply for the "up my alley" jobs, companies will acknowledge receiving my application...then they never get back to me. 

I'm not sure why this is; perhaps something about me rubs them the wrong way? Or maybe they think that if they employed someone who is "disabled", they'd have to spend extra money on the old "reasonable accommodations"...and don't want to do it because of that. 

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat.  At this point, I've pretty much said "F it, I'll do my own thing".  So I'm self-employed, LOL. 

Yeah in my case, working's fine as long as it's not customer services, and I don't have any particular issues getting a job (I guess because I pass well enough that it doesn't bother the recruiter, and I don't tell employers I have it until I get the job, given I don't really need any particular accomodations and I know it would just be used to discriminate against me).

My issues due to autism have mostly been linked to comorbidities (stuff like OCD, anxiety, depression, addictions) and horrible experiences dating (I pass well enough to get friends and jobs, but I'm autistic enough that it really turns women off, in my experience they don't tolerate it).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2023, 04:11:32 PM »

....and a great movie reviewer. Your writing style is sublime. You need to work for a magazine.

I really appreciate you saying that, Meclazine. I wasn't sure anybody really would enjoy my film thread posts-I was just jumping on the bandwagon Dule/Laki started-but I'm glad you and others seem to enjoy them.

I would love to be a film critic for a living, but I have no idea how to go about that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies