should middle schoolers be able to wear "Lets go Brandon" shirts at school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:22:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should middle schoolers be able to wear "Lets go Brandon" shirts at school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: should middle schoolers be able to wear "Lets go Brandon" shirts at school?
yes, of course

yeah, probably

no, because you shouldn't advertise politics in school

no, because you shouldn't advertise politics that are not approved by the school

you just don't get it dead0

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: should middle schoolers be able to wear "Lets go Brandon" shirts at school?  (Read 2743 times)
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2023, 07:11:20 PM »

Yes, students, much like everyone else, should be allowed to freely express their opinions and wear what they like, whether or not other people like it. School dress codes are a load of crap anyway.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2023, 09:40:41 PM »

No but they should be allowed to wear a shirt that says Trump 2024 or I hate Joe Biden or Make America Great Again. The Let’s Go Brandon slogan is a substitute for the F word.
but it's not the F word.  Should all euphemisms for the F word be banned?

Yes?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2023, 10:26:28 AM »

No but they should be allowed to wear a shirt that says Trump 2024 or I hate Joe Biden or Make America Great Again. The Let’s Go Brandon slogan is a substitute for the F word.
but it's not the F word.  Should all euphemisms for the F word be banned?

Yes?
Yes I think so. It’s not appropriate for school. I’d also have said the same thing to one of the “Buck Fush” shirts.
what should the punishment be for saying "Lets Go Brandon"?  Is it the same for saying "frigging" or "mother trucker"?  What about "shucks" or "dern"?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2023, 12:05:21 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2023, 07:35:06 PM »

what should the punishment be for saying "Lets Go Brandon"? 
Are we still talking about dress codes here, or just words? The general punishment for wearing clothes that don't fit the dress code would be having to change. Maybe if it's a regular problem adding more teeth to it.

I can remember my middle school banning Fudpucker's shirts, even though that's a real restaurant in Florida (?) because everyone knew that it was a substitute for the F-word and was wearing them to be edgy.

Is it the same for saying "frigging" or "mother trucker"?  What about "shucks" or "dern"?
Whether we're talking about shirts or just saying the words, I would assume we'd treat it the same as if the shirt or just a person said the word they're substituting, assuming they knew that it meant that. (For example, I never knew shucks was a substitute for ... sh**t?)

I can remember a teacher in 9th grade busting a classmate for saying "effing" and telling him to watch his language from now on or she'd send him to an assistant principal. He complied.
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2023, 03:06:39 AM »

As long as they don't wear BLM shirts or anything with political slogans I'm fine with it.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »

As a middle school teacher, I would prefer that political paraphernalia of any kind are kept home. It is hard to enforce it at the school itself (for a whole host of reasons), but whenever someone does wear something political, it almost always leads to problems. It is sad that that is the case, but it just is. Kids can be cruel, and may use something that they do not truly understand to hurt another student that they do not like.

It is for this reason that I have banned *all* political paraphernalia from our East Coast/Washington, DC trip—I don't need to deal with a big blow up 3,000 miles away from home. The trip is not technically a school sponsored trip, so they can either follow my rules on that or stay home. Luckily there has been no pushback on that rule and if there was, I really would not care.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2023, 08:08:07 PM »

As a middle school teacher, I would prefer that political paraphernalia of any kind are kept home. It is hard to enforce it at the school itself (for a whole host of reasons), but whenever someone does wear something political, it almost always leads to problems. It is sad that that is the case, but it just is. Kids can be cruel, and may use something that they do not truly understand to hurt another student that they do not like.

It is for this reason that I have banned *all* political paraphernalia from our East Coast/Washington, DC trip—I don't need to deal with a big blow up 3,000 miles away from home. The trip is not technically a school sponsored trip, so they can either follow my rules on that or stay home. Luckily there has been no pushback on that rule and if there was, I really would not care.

That's illegal.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2023, 01:00:02 PM »

At least for middle schoolers, don't most of them prevent kids from T-shirts advertising alcohols? (No wearing a Jack Daniels t-shirt or a Budweiser shirt or etc) Seems like that'd be a similar parallel of just not appropriate for that sort of environment. That said, I'd have less of an issue with it if it were high schoolers.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2023, 02:07:15 PM »

A classroom should be a setting that promotes respect and self-discipline. Children can't be expected to learn in a chaotic environment in which their peers look like slobs. Logo t-shirts of any kind should be unacceptable.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2023, 07:54:38 PM »

No. While I'd normally be OK with kids wearing shirts that express their political opinions, "Let's Go Brandon" essentially serves as a substitute for the "F" word, which is forbidden in schools. If they want, these students can wear other shirts that indicate their opposition to the Biden Administration, such as "Trump 2024 - Make America Great Again".
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2023, 01:37:01 PM »

Yeah, who cares? All the effort spent dress coding students is effort better spent elsewhere.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »

this website bans profanity so we remain safe for schools, should the title of this thread with a profanity in it be edited?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies