CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:16:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces  (Read 2480 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« on: April 24, 2023, 02:33:21 PM »

Luckily this thread was posted cause this headline is pretty far down on the LA Times and other news sites across the state.

Eh. I hope other Dems don't get scared off into running. I'm not enthused by her or her running in any way.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2023, 04:23:54 PM by Interlocutor »

Seems too early, who's paying attention to 2026 gubernatorial election other than political nerds? However, she'd make a good governor I assume. I'm fairly confident she makes it to the November election then.

If she's the Democratic nominee its hard to see her losing.
It isn't hard to see her losing. There might be two Democratic nominees.

Possible, though unlike in senate races, in every gubernatorial election since the adoption of the jungle primary a Republican made it to the November ballot (however in 2014 and 2022 there was a Democratic incumbent running for reelection without serious inner party opposition).

Yes, the whole "CA jungle primary = impending Solid South style D vs. D GEs for everything statewide" idea really hasn't materialized.  So far it's just been 2016-SEN, 2018-SEN, and 2018-LG that have been Dem only GEs, and that appears to have been the local Dem peak in CA.  

To be fair, 2020 had no statewide races. The only year we can go off of since 2018 is last year which was largely entrenched incumbents. The only race that seemed to challenge that was last years Insurance Commissioner race which was 7700 votes away from being all-Dem.

Unless you're scandal-ridden or a specific case like Feinstein, you're more likely to see these all-Dem GEs with an open seat. I can certainly see 2024-SEN being all-Dem, too early to tell with 2026-GOV and any of the other seats up that year
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 01:06:06 AM »

If Bonta runs, he'd get my immediate support.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies