CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CA-GOV 2026: Kounalakis (D) announces  (Read 2270 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2023, 04:23:54 PM by Interlocutor »

Seems too early, who's paying attention to 2026 gubernatorial election other than political nerds? However, she'd make a good governor I assume. I'm fairly confident she makes it to the November election then.

If she's the Democratic nominee its hard to see her losing.
It isn't hard to see her losing. There might be two Democratic nominees.

Possible, though unlike in senate races, in every gubernatorial election since the adoption of the jungle primary a Republican made it to the November ballot (however in 2014 and 2022 there was a Democratic incumbent running for reelection without serious inner party opposition).

Yes, the whole "CA jungle primary = impending Solid South style D vs. D GEs for everything statewide" idea really hasn't materialized.  So far it's just been 2016-SEN, 2018-SEN, and 2018-LG that have been Dem only GEs, and that appears to have been the local Dem peak in CA.  

To be fair, 2020 had no statewide races. The only year we can go off of since 2018 is last year which was largely entrenched incumbents. The only race that seemed to challenge that was last years Insurance Commissioner race which was 7700 votes away from being all-Dem.

Unless you're scandal-ridden or a specific case like Feinstein, you're more likely to see these all-Dem GEs with an open seat. I can certainly see 2024-SEN being all-Dem, too early to tell with 2026-GOV and any of the other seats up that year
JMT

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 08:15:05 PM »

xavier110
United States
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »

Vom… EK is one of my least favorite politicians in California, and that’s saying something.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2023, 09:52:26 AM »

Vom… EK is one of my least favorite politicians in California, and that’s saying something.

Didn't realize she's said or done enough for anyone to have such a strong opinion of her.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »

She's announcing three and a half years in advance because she'll need three and a half years for Californians to be informed of her existence.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 06:22:34 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2023, 11:58:34 PM by xavier110 »

Didn't realize she's said or done enough for anyone to have such a strong opinion of her.

For me it’s more her personal situation. Entitlement? There’s enough reporting on her father effectively buying her into office
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2023, 06:39:16 PM »

Never voted for her when I had the chance. People like her are precisely why I left the party.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »

Hillary just endorsed Kounalakis. Not sure her endorsement matter that much in terms of votes, though may help with raising money and expanding ressources.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2023, 02:06:23 PM »

Hillary just endorsed Kounalakis. Not sure her endorsement matter that much in terms of votes, though may help with raising money and expanding ressources.

Hillary's endorsement is likely to cost Kounalakis votes. Other than her husband, Hillary Clinton is currently the least popular person in the Democratic Party.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »

Is Ro Khanna running for governor?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2023, 02:10:14 PM »

Hillary's endorsement is likely to cost Kounalakis votes. Other than her husband, Hillary Clinton is currently the least popular person in the Democratic Party.

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »

Joe Manchin would like to have a word
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2023, 11:47:50 PM »

Few days old but Bonta likely:
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 01:06:06 AM »

If Bonta runs, he'd get my immediate support.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »

Also week-old but relevant news:

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »

Honestly the campaign starts way too early. Why are they annoucing or making moves in public right now? It's not even half a year since Newsom was inaugurated for his second term.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2023, 02:43:15 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2023, 03:17:39 PM by Peltola for God Empress »

Honestly the campaign starts way too early. Why are they annoucing or making moves in public right now? It's not even half a year since Newsom was inaugurated for his second term.

I think Koulanakis’s plan was to announce early to catch people off guard and get support around her. She’s also from a lot of wealth so she can probably afford and extended campaign where others would struggle to keep up with her spending
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »

unrelated to the 2026 race but still pretty big news, At the convention Newsom's speech was interrupted by protests about him failing to support a single payer model in California. He ran on it in 2018 and 2010 when he first ran for LG and last year a bill to implement a system had huge momentum and was killed at the last minute Newsom ignored it the entire time and expanded medical to undocumented Californians and called it universal healthcare despite it not being free and providing minimal coverage.  Newsom did a good job playing it off at the moment he was confronted but he was visibly shaken and cancelled all of his appearances that day after citing he didn't want to be embarrassed twice.
https://fox40.com/news/california-connection/demonstrators-pressure-newsom-on-single-payer-healthcare-system-at-state-partys-convention/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MFOsnfSFDU&

Yee gave a speech at the convention too and announced she was running, she also got an award from PDA (progressive democrats of America). Most progressives at the event told me they like Yee a lot some just have an issue with her stance on nuclear. Eleni had quite a bit of support at the convention too, mostly from moderates she may be the establishment pick in this race which makes sense given her history.

Right now the field is
IN:
Betty Yee, Eleni Kounalakis 

Considering: Villaraigosa, Bonta, Khanna
of the potential candidates I like Yee, Khanna and Bonta but im definitely gonna let the race develop more before I pick a horse in the race.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »

Eventhogh I don't live in CA I am so glad Newsom is gone he didn't make the reforms in 2T as Gov time for someone else
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »

It won’t have much of an effect in California.
JMT

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2024, 05:08:29 AM »

Looks like Toni Atkins is running. Even though this election isn’t till 2026, she’ll be the fourth major Democratic candidate to join the race:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies