Impact of generational change on the makeup of the Republican Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:57:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Impact of generational change on the makeup of the Republican Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impact of generational change on the makeup of the Republican Party  (Read 2019 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: April 22, 2023, 01:05:28 PM »

The old die and the young get older. How will generational change affect the Republican party? Now I'm not talking about how the general population changing will affect its ability to win, I'm more talking about within the party itself.

Polls show that Trump consistently does much better with younger Republican primary voters than DeSantis, and vice versa. Younger GOP voters are more likely to be more moderate on social issues, but at the same time are more likely than older Republicans to be invested in the sorts of culture war battles that often begin online.
They are less economically hardliner than older Republicans, and notably they are WAY more isolationist/non-interventionist than older Republicans, having a massive polling divide over Ukraine aid.
Overall with generational change, the party seems to be heading in a more moderate direction in some ways, but a more Trumpy and populist direction in others.

How do you think this will affect the party heading into the future?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 09:18:49 PM »

If we're lucky, the GOP will become a socially and economically moderate, but culturally conservative party. If not, it'll continue down the cooky, reactionary, theocratic, conspiracy driven path that it's currently on.

I'm more curious as to what happens with the Democrats. Does formerly Republican big money donors infiltrate their party pushing them to the right economically, or does it, for better or worse, continue becoming a more progressive party?
While younger GOP voters are more socially and economically moderate, there's no evidence to suggest they're less prone to conspiracies, in fact more evidence suggests they're more likely to believe the election was stolen, and Trumpy candidates in 2022 primaries did better with them
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 08:03:33 AM »

Honestly in my experience, younger Republicans are even bigger freaks than their older counterparts. I think that the party will become more extreme as time goes on.
On certain issues yes.
One interesting factoid is that Tucker Carlson consistently was the only FOX show to do decent with younger audiences. Clearly more Trumpy types speak better to them
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies