Idea: chamber of Congress filled with representatives from each Native American reservation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:37:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Idea: chamber of Congress filled with representatives from each Native American reservation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idea: chamber of Congress filled with representatives from each Native American reservation  (Read 6815 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2023, 05:17:14 PM »

Essentially, it is like the Senate, but instead of 2 Senators/state, it is 2 representatives/reservation.

Only people currently enrolled as a member of a specific tribe vote in these races.

Each representative of a reservation serves a six-year term (like the Senate), and each reservation is randomly assigned two class numbers (I, II, or III), which indicates when their representatives are up for reelection (just like the Senate).

How would a chamber like this impact politics? What issues would become more prominent in political discussion should a chamber like this be implemented? Would Native Americans become more of a swing demographic, rather than being overwhelmingly Democratic?
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 07:49:34 PM »

Doesn't New Zealand have something similar to this with it's Maori population?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 07:54:42 PM »

New Zealand has distinct seats for its Moari population.
Imagine if Native Americans had their own set of House seats, basically.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 08:02:17 PM »

Just to be clear, in this hypothetical, Native Americans would vote in both House races AND for representatives of their own tribe.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 09:59:21 PM »

Questions of whether the chamber's apportionment is fair would immediately come up, for one thing. A lot of reservations have very small numbers of enrolled members (literally like 100-200 total). Others have well over 100,000.

If you think the population difference between California and Wyoming is extreme, take a look at the Navajo Nation vs. the United Auburn Indian Community.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 04:58:00 AM »

Questions of whether the chamber's apportionment is fair would immediately come up, for one thing. A lot of reservations have very small numbers of enrolled members (literally like 100-200 total). Others have well over 100,000.

If you think the population difference between California and Wyoming is extreme, take a look at the Navajo Nation vs. the United Auburn Indian Community.

This would be structured like the Senate; each tribe would get 2 representatives. The same questions of fairness the Senate would have would apply to this chamber, too.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 04:33:43 AM »

Just to be clear, in this hypothetical, Native Americans would vote in both House races AND for representatives of their own tribe.

In New Zealand, Maori get to choose to either be an eligible voter in the Maori seats or normal seats, but not both.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »

The Cherokee may be entitled to a tribal delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives under the 1835 Treaty of New Echota.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 08:07:06 PM »

That would be quite abit of (additional) representatives ... would it not?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 10:18:31 AM »

That would be quite abit of (additional) representatives ... would it not?

The U.S. government recognizes 574 Native American tribes
TimeUnit2027
Rookie
British Indian Ocean Territory

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 02:13:00 PM »

Not bad idea honestly.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 09:17:02 AM »

The Cherokee may be entitled to a tribal delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives under the 1835 Treaty of New Echota.

Uhh we never respected any of our treaties with the natives. I don't see why we would here.

You'd need a minimum limit since 200 or so people getting one rep is a bit too much. Maybe top ten or 15 tribes get a rep?
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »

Uhh we never respected any of our treaties with the natives. I don't see why we would here.

You'd need a minimum limit since 200 or so people getting one rep is a bit too much. Maybe top ten or 15 tribes get a rep?

Agreed. The tribe closest to me has literally a double-digit number of members living on the rez and about the same number living elsewhere. There's no reason they should elect two representatives to a national chamber.

Instead of excluding smaller tribes, I could see maybe "bundling" them into regional constituencies.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 02:20:49 AM »

Agreed. The tribe closest to me has literally a double-digit number of members living on the rez and about the same number living elsewhere. There's no reason they should elect two representatives to a national chamber.

Instead of excluding smaller tribes, I could see maybe "bundling" them into regional constituencies.

They might not take being bundled with a tribe that they potentially hate very well.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 06:12:34 PM »

They might not take being bundled with a tribe that they potentially hate very well.

And I doubt they would take being excluded altogether well. There's no perfect solutions here.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 05:05:01 AM »

And I doubt they would take being excluded altogether well. There's no perfect solutions here.
Toss them a choice. Be given a rep but with other tribes (like list them all) or waiver their rep but get an honorary rep.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies