How did body builder / gym bro types vote in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:04:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How did body builder / gym bro types vote in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did body builder / gym bro types vote in 2020?  (Read 2082 times)
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2023, 05:22:09 AM »

After my workout, this question entered my head. Of course these guys have to be GOP leaning right? Even the minorities. But of course, I think it'd be interesting for people to give their take on this!

What do you think?

I think :

White male gymbros : likely-safe R
white female gymgals : tossup-lean R

Black male gymbro : lean-likely R
black female gymbro : tossup-lean D

Hispanics : Same as Whites
Asian males same as whites
Asian females same as black women
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 10:21:07 PM »

This is just not true. They're both giving around 80-90% of their vote to the democrats
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:38:13 PM »

White male gymbros : lean to likely R
white female gymgals : lean D

Black male gymbro : likely to Safe D
black female gymbro : Safe D

Hispanics : gymbros are tossups to lean D. Gymgals are Likely to Safe D
Asian males: Lean to likely D
Asian females: Safe D
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 11:39:49 PM »

White male gymbros : safe R
Gay white male gymbros: safe D
white female gymgals : tilt D

Black male gymbro : likely D
black female gymbro : safe D

Hispanics : Didn't vote
Asian males: Lean D
Asian females: Likely D
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 07:20:37 AM »

There are different types of gym bros-

- Bodybuilders
- Powerlifters
- Crossfitters
- Functional/Yoga
- Bouldering
- Lead Climbing
- Parkour/Obstacles
- Gymnastics/Breakdancing/Acrobatics
- Pure Track/Field types
- Various types of Fighting (mixed(MMA, jujitsu), eastern (karate,shotokhan,taekwondo), western(wrestling,boxing).
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 12:37:55 AM »

As a "gym bro" that exercises every day and eats healthy (I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a good body) I would say that our demographics is more republican, but not in a sense that we're conservative of opposing abortion, same-sex marriage etc… we're liberal in that sense, is more of an "anti-woke" sentiment
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 10:25:14 AM »

As a "gym bro" that exercises every day and eats healthy (I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a good body) I would say that our demographics is more republican, but not in a sense that we're conservative of opposing abortion, same-sex marriage etc… we're liberal in that sense, is more of an "anti-woke" sentiment

Yeah there's the culture war stuff, there's also a huge emphasis on individual responsibility in gym culture, and you don't need me t tell you which side of politics is better at messaging that.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 03:23:49 AM »

Yeah there's the culture war stuff, there's also a huge emphasis on individual responsibility in gym culture, and you don't need me t tell you which side of politics is better at messaging that.
Also gyms are very "masculine" places and there is a right-wing culture about being very "macho" and masculine.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 08:44:46 AM »

Also gyms are very "masculine" places and there is a right-wing culture about being very "macho" and masculine.

It's not really as clear cut as that.

As someone who is a gym regular and a follower of a lot of those 'personalities', actual gym/fitness folk who are interested in training right and eating well and sharing that are more mixed politically.

Younger male influencers, even those clearly on tren are not particularly right leaning in their content and follows.

Slightly more established influencers; people hawking products, seeking sponsorship, people who grandstand for likes or have a podcast crossover tend to be more right wing.

Powerlifting and the 'values' perhaps, within that particular regime is actually an increasingly queer space and is probably to the left of the gym scene in general.
Make Canada Boring Again
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 11:06:18 AM »

This question reminds me of two articles I've read in the past.

There is a PsychologyToday article that does suggest and provide research to back the idea that conservatives tend to be healthier and exercise more. One of the studies cited in the article is correlational and does not provide a causal relationship and, as the article points out,  leaves the definition of terms like 'conservative' and 'liberal' up to interpretation, but it found that conservatives tend to have better self-reported health. Another study found that conservatives were more likely than liberals to use the stairs than the elevator. The article discusses further studies that suggest that people primed to be conservatives are more likely to value personal responsibility and people who self-identify as conservatives are more likely to score highly on conscientiousness.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unique-everybody-else/201902/are-conservatives-healthier-liberals

So in other words, if you take this at information at face value, it does lend credence to the idea that individuals with conservative views would be the ones more likely to go to the gym and work out. At the same time, the author also explains why one of these studies is flawed (I won't go into detail about it here because it would be too much typing, but you can read for yourselves).

Another article discusses a study with a slightly different conclusion though. In this one, the more extreme your political orientation is (either toward the left or the right), the higher your level of fitness is likely to be. Centrists are the least likely to take care of their health, according to this study. The article attributes to this correlation as being due to apathy in life amongst centrists extending to apathy in fitness.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a32284/political-preferene-determines-fitness-level/

So, somewhat interestingly, it may be true that people who take fitness & the gym seriously tend to be Republican voters, or maybe it could be anyone at more hardline ends of the political spectrum, or both (maybe people on hardline ends of the political spectrum take fitness more seriously but conservatives in particular). It's an interesting subject to look into.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 05:34:07 AM »

This is just not true. They're both giving around 80-90% of their vote to the democrats
Honestly someone has to be voting for the GOP. The 10%
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 05:37:17 AM »

Black female gymbro might be around 95% Dem. Black male gymbro might be around 75-80% Dem.
There is a huge gender gap in the black vote.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 05:41:50 AM »

Black female gymbro might be around 95% Dem. Black male gymbro might be around 75-80% Dem.
Especially younger ones right? The gap between young (18-24) black men and women is the largest its been for them afaik.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 05:43:39 AM »

Especially younger ones right? The gap between young (18-24) black men and women is the largest its been for them afaik.
That would not surprise me at all.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 05:46:37 AM »

I'll try to find some info on this.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 05:52:29 AM »

I'll try to find some info on this.
It will be interesting to see what you can find.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 05:17:08 AM »

Democrats because they're young. If you didn't vote for Biden, you ain't young.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 10:48:03 PM »

Matched with an Asian gymgal on Bumble, I'll have to ask her for you guys.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 06:58:17 AM »

What about Jim bros though
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 12:17:15 PM »

A lot of gym bro types are gay.... and definitely not Republican. Maybe this is just my experience as one of them. Also as others have said disproportionately young and non-white. Most of them probably don't vote. But also I will say a lot of them are relatively well informed, health or science oriented, and often educated actually so these are not groups that the modern Republican party appeals to.

If you look at trends of health generally the healthier areas of the country are strongly Democratic.

But as others have said this is a group that would normally average strongly Democratic based on demographics but probably is more right leaning relative to the norm.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies