How did body builder / gym bro types vote in 2020?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ron DeSantis enthusiast:
As a "gym bro" that exercises every day and eats healthy (I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a good body) I would say that our demographics is more republican, but not in a sense that we're conservative of opposing abortion, same-sex marriage etc… we're liberal in that sense, is more of an "anti-woke" sentiment

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ:
Quote from: Ron DeSantis enthusiast on May 13, 2023, 12:37:55 AM

As a "gym bro" that exercises every day and eats healthy (I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a good body) I would say that our demographics is more republican, but not in a sense that we're conservative of opposing abortion, same-sex marriage etc… we're liberal in that sense, is more of an "anti-woke" sentiment

Yeah there's the culture war stuff, there's also a huge emphasis on individual responsibility in gym culture, and you don't need me t tell you which side of politics is better at messaging that.

Ron DeSantis enthusiast:
Quote from: Doug Ford's Developer Buddy™ on May 14, 2023, 10:25:14 AM

Yeah there's the culture war stuff, there's also a huge emphasis on individual responsibility in gym culture, and you don't need me t tell you which side of politics is better at messaging that.

Also gyms are very "masculine" places and there is a right-wing culture about being very "macho" and masculine.

afleitch:
Quote from: Ron DeSantis enthusiast on May 15, 2023, 03:23:49 AM

Quote from: Doug Ford's Developer Buddy™ on May 14, 2023, 10:25:14 AM

Also gyms are very "masculine" places and there is a right-wing culture about being very "macho" and masculine.

It's not really as clear cut as that.

As someone who is a gym regular and a follower of a lot of those 'personalities', actual gym/fitness folk who are interested in training right and eating well and sharing that are more mixed politically.

Younger male influencers, even those clearly on tren are not particularly right leaning in their content and follows.

Slightly more established influencers; people hawking products, seeking sponsorship, people who grandstand for likes or have a podcast crossover tend to be more right wing.

Powerlifting and the 'values' perhaps, within that particular regime is actually an increasingly queer space and is probably to the left of the gym scene in general.

Upper Canada Tory:
This question reminds me of two articles I've read in the past.

There is a PsychologyToday article that does suggest and provide research to back the idea that conservatives tend to be healthier and exercise more. One of the studies cited in the article is correlational and does not provide a causal relationship and, as the article points out,  leaves the definition of terms like 'conservative' and 'liberal' up to interpretation, but it found that conservatives tend to have better self-reported health. Another study found that conservatives were more likely than liberals to use the stairs than the elevator. The article discusses further studies that suggest that people primed to be conservatives are more likely to value personal responsibility and people who self-identify as conservatives are more likely to score highly on conscientiousness.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unique-everybody-else/201902/are-conservatives-healthier-liberals

So in other words, if you take this at information at face value, it does lend credence to the idea that individuals with conservative views would be the ones more likely to go to the gym and work out. At the same time, the author also explains why one of these studies is flawed (I won't go into detail about it here because it would be too much typing, but you can read for yourselves).

Another article discusses a study with a slightly different conclusion though. In this one, the more extreme your political orientation is (either toward the left or the right), the higher your level of fitness is likely to be. Centrists are the least likely to take care of their health, according to this study. The article attributes to this correlation as being due to apathy in life amongst centrists extending to apathy in fitness.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a32284/political-preferene-determines-fitness-level/

So, somewhat interestingly, it may be true that people who take fitness & the gym seriously tend to be Republican voters, or maybe it could be anyone at more hardline ends of the political spectrum, or both (maybe people on hardline ends of the political spectrum take fitness more seriously but conservatives in particular). It's an interesting subject to look into.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page