SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:45:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed)  (Read 1210 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2023, 10:07:44 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2023, 10:25:16 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=16104;sa=showPosts

I was going to abstain but then I looked at this posting history and it seems the last Senate related posts was in early July.

Aye

Edit: It also seems that was the only Senate activity in the past year. Posts about the Kansas crisis of last April are on the first page of posts.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 10:13:34 PM »

I would like to go on record that if we are expelling Blairite, we should also attempt to put an end to this proxy voting debacle by expelling NC Yankee.

Right because a Senator suffering from a publicly disclosed work place injury with a posted LOA is totally the same as a Senator who was somehow allowed to be weekended at Bernies for nine months. Roll Eyes

I would love to say what's on my mind right now, but I have to moderate this board.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2023, 10:50:20 PM »

I would like to go on record that if we are expelling Blairite, we should also attempt to put an end to this proxy voting debacle by expelling NC Yankee.

Right because a Senator suffering from a publicly disclosed work place injury with a posted LOA is totally the same as a Senator who was somehow allowed to be weekended at Bernies for nine months. Roll Eyes

I would love to say what's on my mind right now, but I have to moderate this board.

It's nothing against you personally. But either you should have resigned, or we should just accept your absence without the proxy and not be expelling Blairite.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2023, 11:03:37 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2023, 11:07:24 PM »

It's nothing against you personally. But either you should have resigned, or we should just accept your absence without the proxy and not be expelling Blairite.

HOW TF IS THIS NOT PERSONAL?

Blairite made ONE post in the Senate in a whole damn year (voting for WD to be PPT mind you), even while voting in every election in between. For all we know he was intentionally elected by the Dengists in April 2022 to do just that, the same way Xahar was years back (elected for the express purpose of being inactive).

There is no comparison and there is no legitimate equivalence between the two situations.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2023, 11:11:14 PM »

It's not comparable. Yankee also posted a LOA which is what you're supposed to do if you know you aren't going to be able to be online or active for a certain period of time.

Blairite just got burned out and was passive, barely voting in nine months of time.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2023, 11:18:44 PM »

Has Blairite even been in the Senate since January?

I didn't realize he changed seats until someone mentioned he was in Pacific on Discord.

There is no oath in January for the Pacific seat and his At-Large seat expired that month and is currently held by Pyro.
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Senate_(Fifth_Constitution)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2023, 11:25:04 PM »

I didn't realize he changed seats until someone mentioned he was in Pacific on Discord.

There is no oath in January for the Pacific seat and his At-Large seat expired that month and is currently held by Pyro.

I don't think he ever swore in, so he was never in the senate, which means that every vote cast in the past is invalid since january, given we would be a citizen, not a senator.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2023, 11:25:27 PM »

I don't think he ever swore in, so he was never in the senate, which means that every vote cast in the past is invalid since january.

He hasn't cast any in that time period.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2023, 11:27:00 PM »

I don't think he ever swore in, so he was never in the senate, which means that every vote cast in the past is invalid since january.

He hasn't cast any in that time period.

Why was he never recalled or replaced?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2023, 11:27:59 PM »

Expelling Yankee is a completely unserious proposal and another example of how uncharitable the whole issue's been approached this session. I even said I would've counted proxy votes for Blairite, though I should've added he would've needed to have posted some indication of him leaving before that would be considered.

This is long overdue, Blairite's done nothing, and the Pacific would be better served if the FM could simply appoint the person who was just elected to the seat.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2023, 11:29:49 PM »

The Pacific deserves better, and given people recently attacked the senate for being too inactive, this would be a step in the right direction.

Also this does change some things, given if you need a two third majority of the senate (or a majority in the senate), the math would be different depending on having 17 or 18 senators. In this case, the senate had 17 senators, not 18.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2023, 11:30:50 PM »

Can we even expel a senator that has never been a senator in the first place. I mean the position is just vacant.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2023, 11:31:17 PM »

He deleted it at some point since January, but it was there.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2023, 11:32:02 PM »

He deleted it at some point since January, but it was there.
And for march?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2023, 11:33:37 PM »

Its a four month term.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2023, 11:33:59 PM »

Blairite made ONE post in the Senate in a whole damn year (voting for WD to be PPT mind you), even while voting in every election in between. For all we know he was intentionally elected by the Dengists in April 2022 to do just that, the same way Xahar was years back (elected for the express purpose of being inactive).

There is no comparison and there is no legitimate equivalence between the two situations.

It's not personal because I understand your circumstances. If I had your issues, I would have resigned from my office, rather than do what you did.

You clearly didn't intend to just refuse to go to work, you had an unfortunate incident preventing you from doing so. Unfortunately, you probably should have resigned.

If I ever return to the Senate, or any other elected office, I would like to see LOA's become indefinite for situations like yours, quite frankly, as that seems to also have been a problem here, as well as vote thresholds lowered in the Senate rules to account for absent Senators.

That said, you have the right to your opinion, and one thing I think we can both agree on is that that the pending changes to the Senate rules will make it so what happened to you will never happen again, which is a good thing.

What Blarite did is inexcusable and he should be expelled, there's no question there.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2023, 11:34:32 PM »

Okay.

So the vote has to be finished. Just to clarify, does one need 12 or 13 aye votes?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2023, 11:34:37 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2023, 11:38:58 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The Pacific deserves better, and given people recently attacked the senate for being too inactive, this would be a step in the right direction.

Also this does change some things, given if you need a two third majority of the senate (or a majority in the senate), the math would be different depending on having 17 or 18 senators. In this case, the senate had 17 senators, not 18.

Most such votes in Atlasia are of the whole chamber, not of the members or members voting.

Correction: Constitution and rules say of the members for expulsion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »

12 would be 2/3rds of 18 no?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2023, 11:38:59 PM »

The word majority confuses me given if one talks about a regular majority, can you speak about a majority if the other nine is the other majority. For two third majority, it makes it confusing for whether you need over 12 or if 12 is okay.

But i'm going to assume it's 12 unless someone says otherwise.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2023, 11:40:13 PM »

It's clearly a hard count of 12 senators. The same threshold for constitutional amendments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2023, 11:48:00 PM »

It's not personal because I understand your circumstances. If I had your issues, I would have resigned from my office, rather than do what you did.

You clearly didn't intend to just refuse to go to work, you had an unfortunate incident preventing you from doing so. Unfortunately, you probably should have resigned.

If I ever return to the Senate, or any other elected office, I would like to see LOA's become indefinite for situations like yours, quite frankly, as that seems to also have been a problem here, as well as vote thresholds lowered in the Senate rules to account for absent Senators.

That said, you have the right to your opinion, and one thing I think we can both agree on is that that the pending changes to the Senate rules will make it so what happened to you will never happen again, which is a good thing.

What Blarite did is inexcusable and he should be expelled, there's no question there.

You are not going to slither out of this. You made this false equivalency and now you own it.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2023, 11:49:20 PM »

Aye
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61