Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:51:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires  (Read 1991 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 17, 2023, 10:07:02 PM »

I had horrible math teachers when I was in high school. Abusive ones too. And manipulate ones.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 09:03:28 AM »

This is a complete disgrace and it’s a huge reason why California has dropped significantly in education rankings over the years .

We should “trust the experts” though

You should know that the US as a whole has always been mediocre when it comes to Mathematics Education. We rank behind freaking Mexico I believe.

Finland, Singapore, and well... every other developed country ( with experts ) have better math education than the US.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 02:52:09 PM »

This is a complete disgrace and it’s a huge reason why California has dropped significantly in education rankings over the years .

We should “trust the experts” though

I am completely agaist delaying algebra, but this is not the reason CA K-12 education is so bad. Their numbers started going bad in the 80s-90s and hit rock bottom in the early 2000s (they were even below FL and several  deep south states). Most would ascribe it to proposition 13.

They are still below FL and TX . This is the ranking of K-12 education by state :

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

Out of the 4 major states :

Florida is ranked 16th
New York is ranked 19th
Texas is ranked 35th
California is ranked 40th

That is embarrassingly bad especially given that CA is also the most “new economy” driven state out of the 4

California only does well economically, because it attracts other people, from other states and countries.

It does horrible at preparing it's own kids.

Then again; one of my math teachers threw a ruler at a student and cursed everyone else.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies