Major British Conservative tells Americans that they have to vote Democrat. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Major British Conservative tells Americans that they have to vote Democrat. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major British Conservative tells Americans that they have to vote Democrat.  (Read 3932 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: July 10, 2004, 10:35:10 AM »

Um problem: there are no "conservatives" in Britain. Even the BNP is leftist on economic issues...

British Conservative, notice the capital C, there is a British party called the Conservative Party. They are in fact conservative though as well.

I haven't yet read the article but it seems it was said by Michael Portillo, a man who has moved a lot towards the left politically over the past few years so I can understand him saying such things.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 11:06:46 AM »

So, if you are against gun control, against abortion, for mandatory school prayer, can you still be a liberal?

If you violate all the tenets of an ideology, you do not hold it... calling yourself one is meaningless.

You are holding them to your American Conservative standards.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:38:10 PM »

If anything this thread demonstrates Portillo's one shortcoming (and possibly the main reason he never managed to rise to become party leader).

That isn't why he never managed to become party leader. It is because of his gay experience as a youth.

We had the Tory Chief Whip Derek Conway speak to us at my school and he didn't say it straight out but it was an obvious implication of why he didn't become the leader. Some of the older Tories like himself are homophobic.....
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 04:30:06 PM »

If anything this thread demonstrates Portillo's one shortcoming (and possibly the main reason he never managed to rise to become party leader).

That isn't why he never managed to become party leader. It is because of his gay experience as a youth.

We had the Tory Chief Whip Derek Conway speak to us at my school and he didn't say it straight out but it was an obvious implication of why he didn't become the leader. Some of the older Tories like himself are homophobic.....

Conway lost his seat (Shrewsbury) in 1997 Smiley
Before finding a nice safe seat in 2001 Sad

I know, I did consider asking him if he had been back to Shrewsbury any time lately......
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies