Hart and Soul
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hart and Soul
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hart and Soul  (Read 4420 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2023, 09:59:42 PM »

"He changed our idea of America . . . that we really could be a kinder nation. Standing up for our ideals at home and defending them abroad."- Joe Biden, 42nd President of the United States

"He spent his life in service to this country, whether it was defending us against the tide of fascism or as a President of infallible integrity. I am honoured to be carrying his legacy today."- Barack Obama, 46th President of the United States

"We might not have been in the same party, but I always respected him. He went out of his way to make you feel welcome, and his fundamental honesty is rare in Washington." -George H. W. Bush, 40th President of the United States

"He . . . he was one of my closest friends. He showed us what we should all aspire to be. A man of unimpeachable integrity, completely honest, and always warm. We are more the poorer without him"- Daniel Inouye, 38th President of the United States

Hart and Soul: The Presidency of Philip Aloysius Hart
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:02:26 PM »

TNO?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 03:39:04 AM »

Not quite. Certain things will come from there, but this is firmly set in our reality.
Duke of York

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 10:59:21 PM »

What a great opening. Please continue this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 08:58:00 PM »

Part 1: The Unlikely Candidate

Chapter 1: Before the Convention

Robert F. Kennedy's assassination threatened to break the Democratic Party into pieces

The assassination of Robert F. Kennedy ripped apart the Democratic Party. His candidacy that had inspired millions with the revival of the 'Kennedy Magic' had been brought to an end the same way his brother's crusade had: at the barrel of an assassin's gun. Suddenly, the party's left wing was left without a champion. Some said McCarthy should automatically get the backing of the Kennedy delegates; he was after all, the closest in policy to Kennedy. Others would go to Humphrey, or perhaps George McGovern if he were to run.

However, as McGovern and Ted Kennedy, along with Birch Bayh sat together in the weeks leading to the convention, they had to have someone who could beat Humphrey. McCarthy was suggested of course, but he and Bobby had never gotten along, and his name was discarded. Ted and George both suggested each other, but both turned it down for their own reasons.

That was when Bayh hit on an idea.

Almost without thinking, he picked up the phone, hoping that the man on the other end would answer. After a few minutes of convincing (which took all of the Indiana Senator's persuasive acumen), he returned to the other Senators. "Gentlemen . . .  I may have our solution."

"Who, Birch?" Ted asked.

"Just make sure you're watching Cronkite for the next few nights."

July 9, 1968
Detroit, Michigan

"I am tonight declaring my candidacy for President to carry forward the ideals that Robert Kennedy gave his life for."-Sen. Hart, with his wife Janey at a small gathering of supporters.

Hart's announcement sent shockwaves through the Democratic Party. Days later, with the Convention getting closer and closer, Ted Kennedy, George McGovern and Cesar Chavez all endorsed the Michigan Senator. Soon after, on the 18th, Birch Bayh announced his endorsement. Instantly, Humphrey's grip on the nomination had weakened. Kennedy's delegates had their man, and Humphrey's supporters became reluctant to attack Hart.

A unique strength Hart brought was that he was universally liked and respected by his fellow Senators. Even those who remained fervently opposed to his policy stances had nothing but respect for his war record and stands on principle. He was called 'The Conscience of the Senate' for a reason.

In addition to the Kennedy delegates, others shifted to support Hart as well. The Michigan delegation swung to their favourite son almost immediately, and he began to draw favourable statements from McCarthy as well. Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye endorsed him soon after.

Hart began to pick up support from unions as well. Walter Reuther announced his endorsement in late July, and the UAW itself followed at the beginning of August. The Hart train was beginning to pick up steam, particularly as he began to lay out concrete policy issues, laying out plans to tackle urban issues and safely withdraw from Vietnam.

All this left McCarthy with an issue to ponder: was Hart becoming better positioned than him to the rest of the country?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 01:06:26 AM »

Eagerly awaiting the next update! Honestly not that familiar with Hart, but a very solid start!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 03:57:29 AM »

Eagerly awaiting the next update! Honestly not that familiar with Hart, but a very solid start!

That's likely because the man was humble to a fault. He would probably hate the idea that I'm even writing this, to be honest.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 05:50:50 PM »

Chapter 2: The Nomination

Hubert Humphrey at a meeting of the Hart campaign. Despite his natural unhappiness about losing the nomination, Humphrey simply couldn't allow Nixon into the Oval Office.

As the date of the Convention drew near, Humphrey was able to sense the momentum shifting. Again, in what would be a recurring problem for Hart's opponents, the man had the respect of just about everyone and the hatred of no one in politics. His humility made him difficult to attack, and even if Humphrey had the mind to come at Hart from the right on the Vietnam War, the man's war record made it almost impossible to tag him as a coward.

Labour was divided between Hart and Humphrey, though increasingly, many felt that the winds were shifting, especially under the more progressive unions. Hart also won endorsements from other figures; Bayard Rustin in particular was outspoken in his support of the Michigan Senator. Support also came from Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, who recalled his time recuperating with Hart in the Percy James Army Hospital after their war wounds.

Again, this made Hart difficult to attack.

However, momentum needed to shift significantly for there to be any major change in the race for the nomination. And then, barely two weeks before the convention, it happened

"I want to thank all my supporters, but today, I will be withdrawing from the race for President, and endorsing a true fighter our our values, Senator Philip Hart!

McCarthy's endorsement had shaken up the race completely. Suddenly, Hart seemed better positioned than even Humphrey to take on Nixon in the fall. It was like a snowball; and Hart was picking up more and more speed as he rolled downhill. The political bosses started getting nervous about Humphrey; even Chicago Mayor Daley was beginning to get cold feet, and went on record saying that Hart would be a terrific candidate.

By the time the Convention arrived, the battle lines were clearly drawn. Progressives, youth and liberal unions were supportive of Hart, while what south delegates who remained supported Humphrey, along with most of the party establishment and the bosses also stuck behind him despite their wavering.

Ultimately though, Humphrey knew that if the Convention went to a second ballot, he was sunk. Momentum was on Hart's side, and once the ball was rolling, it was difficult to stop. For once in his life, the Happy Warrior disappeared, replaced by a pessimism that Humphrey was unused to, and it proved justified.

Philip A. Hart was nominated on the second ballot.

The search for a running mate was easy. There was only one man that he wanted on the ticket with him, though the man likely would've refused if it had been anyone else asking.

The 1968 Democratic ticket

For President: Sen. Philip Hart (D-MI)

For Vice President: Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-HI)

Duke of York

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »

I am loving this so far. I was wondering how Inouye played into this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 10:15:27 PM »

I am loving this so far. I was wondering how Inouye played into this.

Inouye was considered for Vice President by Humphrey in our world. Johnson himself urged Humphrey to select him. However, the final voice was between Ed Muskie or Fred Harris, and he chose Muskie.

Inouye knew he was under consideration, but supposedly would have likely declined because he was content as a Senator. Here, Hart is able to make a personal appeal to him based on their time together in a wartime hospital.

This selection will become very important later on.
Duke of York

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »

I really hope this is continued soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 10:28:09 PM »

I really hope this is continued soon.

It's coming. Just a bit busy elsewhere.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 12:04:15 AM »

Chapter 3: The Campaign, Part 1

"We'd been preparing to face Humphrey or McCarthy, but not Hart . . . every single one of our plans had to be tossed out the window and rewritten. When Inouye came on that made it even tougher, then of course George Wallace had to be George Wallace and throw a wrench into the whole damn thing . . . -Pat Buchanan, 2006 interview

Hart's nomination and then his selection of Inouye as running mate had thrown a massive wrech into the works of the Republican Party. Nixon had been sure he'd be going up against Kennedy after the California primary, and after that, had been preparing to go against Humphrey. Instead, Hart had delivered what was effectively a one-two punch of two war heroes on a single ticket; never something easy to argue against.

A lot of it was also hampered by Nixon's own attitude. Despite his own abrasive manner, Nixon liked and respected Hart for his integrity and wartime service. All this made attempts by the Nixon campaign to attack Hart very difficult. Spiro Agnew made a handful of attacks, but Agnew had a problem of coming off as too aggressive in the attacks, which had the effect of making him look like a schoolyard bully attempting to beat up on the nicest kid in the class.

George Wallace entering the campaign didn't make things easier for Nixon either, though it also complicated Hart's path to victory. Without the Solid South, Hart had to recalibrate his path to victory.

Wihtout the South, our road to victory became what would be the Democratic template for victory to this day . . . Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio. It was a plan that we still follow today-Joe Biden, 1987 interview

Hart doubled down on his core strength in the industrial Midwest. Stops in Michigan's nearby states went up, and the campaign's spending increased there as well. Much of the advertising revolved around Hart's affable personality, attempting to portray him as a kindly figure who would heal the tensions in the country. Even Inouye, despite occupying the tole of the traditional 'attack dog', remained focused on, as it was called, 'The Battle for the Soul of the Nation'.

Even with all this aside, the race was still relatively close. Nixon, in response to Hart's extensive campaigning in the Midwest, doubled down on his law and order rhetoric, which Hart himself noted with some alarm was rather effective. The two candidates were neck and neck the whole way.

Humphrey introducing Hart at a rally in New York City. Hart was slightly nervous about New York possibly going to Nixon, and gave significant attention to the state

An attempts at putting together a debate between the two candidates fell apart quickly. Hart wanted the debate, and so did most of the Democratic Party. For the first time in his life, Hart raised his voice, and demanded a debate with Nixon. Nixon knew how badly the debates had affected his campaign eight years ago, and declined repeated requests.

George Wallace attempted to challenge Hart to a debate, but the Senator shut down the Governor quickly. "I will never give a platform to a man who's views are the opposite of what this nation is built upon." He said during an interview with Drew Pearson. "George Wallace is running on fear. Fear of the Negro, fear of uplifting others. I will have no part in debating such horrific ideas."

Hart's campaign was bolstered more and more as civil rights groups and unions finished lining up behind him. Walter Reuther hit the trail across the Midwest, stumping for Hart on organised labour issues and emphasising the Michigan Senator's backing for them. Civil rights leaders like Bayard Rustin and Roy Wilkins campaigned extensively in black communities across the north and west, while Cesar Chavez, reassured by former Kennedy campaign aides' support of Hart, campaigned across the southwest, particularly among the Hispanic community.

It was to be a three way race then. Hart, Nixon, and Wallace. Three men with very different visions for the country. Hart's optimism clashed with Nixon's hard-bitten pragmatism and Wallace's fearmongering. For a time, Nixon had a large lead, but working-class Democrats had gradually started coming home, along with New Left progressives, African Americans and Hispanics. The more people saw of the humble Hart, the more they liked him.

So Nixon turned to his bag of dirty tricks as the campaign entered its late stages.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:50:15 AM »

Glad to see this continue! Can’t wait to see things backfire in Nixon’s face.
Duke of York

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 03:52:12 PM »

really hope this is continued soon.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 02:24:14 PM »

Just caught up with Ch 2 and 3. Hopefully this gets continued soon but I can be patient!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 07:03:34 PM »

I've had a bad time lately, but will be returning to it. Lot of personal stuff going on.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 08:04:17 PM »

I've had a bad time lately, but will be returning to it. Lot of personal stuff going on.

Take your time with it. Hope you’re doing well!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2023, 02:52:03 AM by GoTfan »

Chapter 4: The Campaign, Part 2. AKA How To Lose An Election In One Easy Step By Richard M. Nixon

"No one could work out what the hell was going on in Nixon's head when he greenlit any of those plans . . . I still maintain that he was determined not to lose another election after 1960. '68 was supposed to be his big comeback. What he did during that campaign though . . . it was beyond the pale."-George H. W. Bush, 2006 interview

As the campaign began to head into its closing stages. Polls were getting closer, Democrats were coming home, and organise labour was rallying to Hart. He might not have been a Kennedy, but her certainly knew how to get people thinking he was one. He had proven uniquely able to unite the coalition between students, labour, African-Americans and everyone else interested in the ticket.

Nixon had begun the campaign reluctant to attack Hart. The man and his running mate were both fellow veterans. What had happened since then had changed his mind. He had to start dipping into his dirty tricks or he would lose the election, and join Adlai Stevenson and William Jennings Bryan in that ignominious group of multiple losers.

He did what he could. The dog-whistling came out. Nixon's Southern Strategy came to the fore and the campaign began attacking Hart on anything they could find. Frustratingly, it was limited, and they knew that the dirty operatives on Hart's side were just waiting to unleash something severe.

It all came to a head on Halloween night, 1968. Lyndon Johnson came on the TV and announced that peace was at hand in Vietnam; that the North and South Vietnamese had agreed to major talks for peace in that troubled part of the world. The breakthrough in the talks was a massive boon for Hart. To a cheering audience in Philadelphia, he praised the President fully for his commitment to peace. Inouye did the same at a campaign stop in Los Angeles.

For Nixon, this was not good news. An end to Vietnam would mean the end of his opportunity to wedge Hart on it, and it had been successful in keeping more conservative Democrats on his side. So, he got desperate.

To this day, no one knows what happened on those phonecalls with Anne Chennault. Some say that Nixon was actively trying to sabotage the talks. Others say that Chennault was acting on her own accord, or that it was Kissinger's doing. It might've stayed hidden too, were it not for one man.

"I don't think Hubert actually said anything to push him over the line. Johnson was not a man who waffled on decision-making; once his mind was made up, it was made up. It would go against Hubert's reputation as well, Happy Warrior that he was."-Walter Mondale, 2006 interview

JOHNSON: Hubert, we didn't exactly get this legally . . .

HUMPHREY: That doesn't matter, Mr President. The American people have a right to know about this.

JOHNSON: Why the f**k would you support releasing this? Ain't you supposed to be the Happy Warrior? You wanted this election decided on policy, I recall.

HUMPHREY: I did Mr President. But something like this . . . it doesn't matter how you acquired it. Release it now, and let the chips fall where they may

JOHNSON: Hubert-

HUMPHREY: Mr President, this is bordering on treason. I'm not saying just dump it anywhere; call a press conference, say the FBI acquired these recordings, then play them for everyone there.

JOHNSON: G**damn it all to hell . . . Lord have mercy on our souls . . .

(This transcript was released as part of the 2007 documentary President Hart)

The next day, with just four days left until the election, Johnson called a press conference. Announcing that the FBI had acquired troubling evidence of Nixon's interference in peace negotiations, he played the recordings for everyone in the room. The result? Saturation coverage. Every single columnist and reporter in the country wanted in on this. It was the scoop of the century; a former Vice President had sabotaged peace negotiations by his own government to win an election.

Sitting in his campaign headquarters, Nixon had only one thing to say.

"F**king hell . . . this is going to be my legacy. I'm f**ked."

BigVic
Australia

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2023, 08:59:37 PM »

good to see this alive
Duke of York

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »

wow what an update. Worth the wait. Look forward to seeing where this goes. I knew from the intro this was going to amazing. Somewhere there is a parallel universe where this is reality. What a wonderful timeline it must be.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2023, 04:32:03 PM »

wow what an update. Worth the wait. Look forward to seeing where this goes. I knew from the intro this was going to amazing. Somewhere there is a parallel universe where this is reality. What a wonderful timeline it must be.

To be honest, we don't know how involved Nixon was in this.

In my opinion though, the Nixon campaign's interference with peace talks by the Johnson Administration was worse than Watergate because it does border on treason. That's not hyperbole either; it skirts dangerously close to how treason is legally defined in the US.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2023, 08:16:35 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2023, 09:35:48 PM by GoTfan »

Chapter 5: Election Night

"Election night, 1968 . . . great night to be a Democrat, that was for sure. We tried to raise objections against the release of the recordings. Why was the administration tapping the phone line of the Vietnamese Ambassador? How exactly had these been obtained? They were feeble at best, and we knew that the media wasn't going to focus on how the recordings were obtained, but what they said."-Pat Buchanan, 2006 interview

The aftermath of the Chennault Tapes, as they became known, destroyed the Nixon campaign in the closing days of the election. George Wallace, running his segregationist candidacy, lambasted both Nixon and Johnson for their "dirty tricks", while Hart himself mostly played down the whole thing, only saying "The truth about the former Vice President has revealed itself."

Hart's wife Janey would later write that Hart himself was usnure about how election night would go. The man was remarkably afraid that the tapes would actually galvanise support for Nixon on the bounds that they had been illegally acquired by the Johnson Administration. Those fears proived unfounded; the Nixon campaign tried to raise the very real point that the only way these recordings could have been made was through a wiretap, but those protests were lost in the noise.

The South Vietnamese government did not ride to Nixon's aid either. Thieu, though enraged by the wiretap, felt he had to remain silent on the matter or risk alienating what he saw as the inevitable Hart Administration. With that, Nixon's last hope to escape the condemnations disappared in a could of smoke.

"The recordings were certainly not legally acquired, but the debate had already been centred on what they said, and the tapes had recorded that the Nixon campaign attempted to interfere with Johnson's peace talks.  Let me be clear on one thing: how Johnson got the recordings is irrelevant. What is relevant is how they revealed a Presidential candidate who effectively committed treason.-Zbigniew Brzezinski, 2010 interview

By the time election night rolled around, Nixon was despondent. The normally fiery man entered a deep depression. After all, 1968 was supposed to be his comeback, where he would ride in on the white horse and restore law and order to the United States; now he was dead in the water. He had begun writing his concession speech the night before, though Agnew begged him to hold off.

While Nixon, along with his wife Pat settled in to watch the results in their adopted home of New York, Hart did the same with Janey in Michigan. When the returns started coming in, the results became apparent almost straight away. The Democrats would hold their majorities in the House and Senate, much to the delight of Hart, while the chaos of the final days of the election benefited the Michigan Senator as well.

States began to be called, and when Illinois fell, Nixon knew that he was finished.

Nixon: Good evening, Philip.

Hart: TO you as well, Richard.

Nixon: I . . . was calling to congratulate you on your victory, Mr President-Elect. You ran an honest campaign and a fair one, considering the circumstances.

Hart: I tried to, Mr Vice President.

Nixon: yes, I know. Send my congratulations to Daniel as well. He'll make an excellent Vice President for you.

Hart: That's why I picked him. Richard, you always were a tough b**tard. I hope the next few years are good to you. Any idea what you'll do now?

Nixon: Go back to law, most likely. Maybe lecture at a few colleges if they'll have me.

Hart: You'd be good at that.

Nixon: I hope so. Sir, if you ever need any advice, don't hesitate to call. My line is always open.

Hart: I might just take you up on that.

Nixon: Well, i'd best go and make my speech now. Goodnight, Mr President-Elect.

Hart: Goodnight, Mr Vice President.

"I would like to thank my wife Janey, my sons and daughters most of all. They have been nothing but supportive throughout this crazy ride. To Daniel Inouye, you'll make an excellent Vice President and a fine partner for the next four years. To Vice President Nixon, you ran an excellent campaign, and I am huimbled by the gracious message you have sent me.

Tonight has shown that America has not given up on idealism. It has not surrendered its optimism. Tonight, the American people voted to end the war in Vietnam, they voted for Civil Rights, they voted to stand up for a better future!

God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America!"

-Excerpt from President-Elect Hart's victory speech in Detroit, Michigan

Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2023, 12:59:38 AM »

Always lovely to see more of this!
Duke of York

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »

what a great update. Somewhere there is a universe where this is reality. What a wonderful world it must be.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies