Is the primary Safe Trump, now that he’s indicted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is the primary Safe Trump, now that he’s indicted?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the primary Safe Trump, now that he’s indicted?  (Read 511 times)
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2023, 04:49:41 PM »

At this point, Ron DeSantis might as well announce that he’s not running for President in 2024.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 04:50:54 PM »

There's probably a 30% chance that Trump either dies or is medically unfit to campaign by the time the primary contests happen, so it's not safe for him. If he's able to stand and speak then it might as well be Safe Trump.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 04:51:54 PM »

How does Trump plan to run the country from his small prison cell?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 04:52:07 PM »

Likely trump.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 04:58:00 PM »

Same as it always was. Safe Trump.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 05:36:38 PM »

At this point, Ron DeSantis might as well announce that he’s not running for President in 2024.
In DeSantis's case I wouldn't had run in 2024 unless there was a major crisis going on before August, to bash Biden with, because it's really difficult for republicans to beat democrats right now without something major.

Now, why bother at all ?

DeSantis and practically every elected republican would be forced to defend Trump in public or risk the wrath of republican voters.

So I believe right now that the primary is probably over, onwards to the general, the result of which will depend on whether the Biden Administration will keep it together until early October 2024.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 05:37:52 PM »

In DeSantis's case I wouldn't had run in 2024 unless there was a major crisis going on before August, to bash Biden with, because it's really difficult for republicans to beat democrats right now without something major.

Now, why bother at all ?

DeSantis and practically every elected republican would be forced to defend Trump in public or risk the wrath of republican voters.

So I believe right now that the primary is probably over, onwards to the general, the result of which will depend on whether the Biden Administration will keep it together until early October 2024.

Do you think DeSantis still runs?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 05:52:58 PM »

Nothing is ever safe but it was always an uphill batttle for the GOP establishment to knock off the former sitting President. Especially when said Establishment went along with his campaign of saying he actually won.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »

Now, why bother at all ?

The issue, I've heard, is that DeSantis has to leave his position as Florida's governor in Jan 2027. That means he won't have his status as Florida governor to boost his campaign in 2028, as he does now. And there's always the risk that public opinion might turn on him ala Chris Christie from 2012-2016. That's why DeSantis will run now, I suppose
That was never an issue in practice, because the time gap between him stepping down as Florida Governor and the first GOP debate is only 7 months.

As for Chris Christie, he was dead in republican politics the moment he embraced and endorsed Obama after Hurricane Sandy, just days before what most thought was a close presidential election.

He never thought about the long term or the personal, why he endorsed Trump when Trump's son-in-law had a huge personal grudge against Christie ?

Like who would Trump choose in a confrontation ? His favourite daughter or Christie ?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 06:09:16 PM »

Now, why bother at all ?

I wouldn't, at least not before August just to see how the dust settles.

But that was my opinion before, because since the midterms I always thought that Democrats are unbeatable in the 2024 election, absent a major crisis.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 06:14:59 PM »

Now, why bother at all ?

50/50 tbh.
EastwoodS

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 06:19:35 PM »

your logic is backwards lmao. This hurts Trump and how can he run if he's made ineligible to run? which he very well could be, just stop. Stop supporting a man that's made your party electorally non-viable.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 06:46:12 PM »

“I was leaning towards voting for DeSantis, but Trump just got indicted so I’m going to vote for him.”

Who thinks like this?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 06:50:52 AM »

“I was leaning towards voting for DeSantis, but Trump just got indicted so I’m going to vote for him.”

Who thinks like this?

You don’t watch much Fox News do you
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 11:31:49 AM »

Who thinks like this?

Nobody enmeshed in politics and already motivated to vote. But a low info voter who likes DeSantis because they think he fought against Covid restrictions or because he repaired a road Ian destroyed within a week, or a similar anecdote about Trans people or something, and doesn't know much else, may be swayable. It could also motivate Trump supporters who are iffy on regularly voting, to become resolved to turn out.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2023, 11:49:33 AM »

your logic is backwards lmao. This hurts Trump and how can he run if he's made ineligible to run? which he very well could be, just stop. Stop supporting a man that's made your party electorally non-viable.

What? None of this would make him ineligible to run. Be 35+, be a "natural-born citizen", and be a US resident for at least 14 years. That's it as far as eligibility. Nothing about a felony arrest or even a felony conviction would impede Trump's eligibility to be present. A federal conviction for sedition didn't stop Eugene Debs from winning a million votes in 1920.

Anyway the answer is no. The news cycle moves fast and there's no reason to think that this will still be giving Trump the same amount of benefit during primary season a year from now.
EastwoodS

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2023, 05:55:12 PM »

What? None of this would make him ineligible to run. Be 35+, be a "natural-born citizen", and be a US resident for at least 14 years. That's it as far as eligibility. Nothing about a felony arrest or even a felony conviction would impede Trump's eligibility to be present. A federal conviction for sedition didn't stop Eugene Debs from winning a million votes in 1920.

Anyway the answer is no. The news cycle moves fast and there's no reason to think that this will still be giving Trump the same amount of benefit during primary season a year from now.
Hopefully he’s arrested or is too busy in court to be on the campaign trail to run, giving it to someone else
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies