Missouri House gives initial approval to budget that defunds public libraries and pre-K
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:39:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Missouri House gives initial approval to budget that defunds public libraries and pre-K
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Missouri House gives initial approval to budget that defunds public libraries and pre-K  (Read 484 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2023, 03:22:00 PM »

https://www.kcur.org/politics-elections-and-government/2023-03-29/missouri-house-gives-initial-approval-to-45-6-billion-state-budget-that-defunds-libraries
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 03:23:04 PM »

Pre-K "education" is glorified babysitting. This is fine.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 03:36:55 PM »

I don’t think us suburbanites understand truly just how devastating this really is. Libraries (much like churches) serve as centers of community in small towns across this country. They are sources of entertainment and education and bring families together through community events.

This sham legislation is a stab in the back to rural communities from the Bootheel to Nodaway, and is only possible by a party even on extracting the resources of the youngest Americans to give to their parasitic voters. Truly a shame!

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »

Why defund public libraries?
What a horrible idea.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 03:46:10 PM »

This is far more radical than any Democratic cities that slightly cut police budgets.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 03:46:48 PM »

I don’t think us suburbanites understand truly just how devastating this really is. Libraries (much like churches) serve as centers of community in small towns across this country. They are sources of entertainment and education and bring families together through community events.

This sham legislation is a stab in the back to rural communities from the Bootheel to Nodaway, and is only possible by a party even on extracting the resources of the youngest Americans to give to their parasitic voters. Truly a shame!

What even are you these days?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 03:48:22 PM »

What a horrible idea.

I've bolded the word that would make an ideas-above-realities revolutionary American "conservative" think it was a good idea to do so.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 03:57:08 PM »

What even are you these days?
Someone concerned about the forces leeching off America while killing our liberties, our country, and our world.

Am I wrong in how I describe libraries or Republicans? If you are confused about the avatar, I am probably changing it soon back to green anyways.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 04:41:26 PM »

What a horrible idea.

Who needs libraries when you have Fox News and Newsmax to get your education?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 04:55:02 PM »

I don't feel bad for them, personally. They voted for this and they're getting it.
weatheriscool
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »

The republican party needs the population to be dumb and uneducated to win elections. This party is disgusting. People should be voting straight ticket democrat in the next election.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »

From what I understand, the library provision is likely to be removed in the Senate. But we're living in very scary times either way.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 05:10:42 PM »

It probably depends on the child, but it definitely fast-tracked me in kindergarten to already know how to read and do basic math after learning it in a Catholic preschool. And even more broadly than that, being used to a classroom setting meant that I didn't spend the first week crying like some of my classmates who'd been at home all along did.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 05:16:31 PM »

It probably depends on the child, but it definitely fast-tracked me in kindergarten to already know how to read and do basic math after learning it in a Catholic preschool. And even more broadly than that, being used to a classroom setting meant that I didn't spend the first week crying like some of my classmates who'd been at home all along did.

I went into kindergarten being able to read despite not attending preschool. I was one of three kids in my class who could do that. While the rest of the kids were studying the alphabet, I was reading in a beanbag in the corner. I guess it depends on the preschool too; wherever those other brats were going, they definitely weren't learning anything valuable.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »

I went into kindergarten being able to read despite not attending preschool. I was one of three kids in my class who could do that. While the rest of the kids were studying the alphabet, I was reading in a beanbag in the corner. I guess it depends on the preschool too; wherever those other brats were going, they definitely weren't learning anything valuable.

I'm sure the cream rises to the top in the long run.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 05:38:02 PM »

What a horrible idea.

If you close public libraries down, controversies as to what is in them are mooted. Moot is the most beautiful four letter word in the English language, stolen like so much of what is beautiful in English from French via the Teutonic Normans. All very confusing that, but I digress.

The central NYC public library could be converted into very expensive condos, and the Guttenberg bible sitting in there under glass worth in excess of 100 million, sold. You sell all the NYC libraries, and the goodies therein, and it might pay off the NYC debt. And then you could repeal the NYC municipal income tax.

One could access the Library of Congress on one's laptop to read something, for those select few who are actually interested in reading.

What is there not to like?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 05:42:59 PM »

What a horrible idea.

If you close public libraries down, controversies as to what is in them are mooted. Moot is the most beautiful four letter word in the English language, stolen like so much of what is beautiful in English from French via the Teutonic Normans. All very confusing that, but I digress.

The central NYC public library could be converted into very expensive condos, and the Guttenberg bible sitting in there under glass worth in excess of 100 million, sold. You sell all the NYC libraries, and the goodies therein, and it might pay off the NYC debt. And then you could repeal the NYC municipal income tax.

One could access the Library of Congress on one's laptop to read something, for those select few who are actually interested in reading.

I have to assume either this is satire or you simply don't understand what it is you're talking about.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 05:56:37 PM »

What a horrible idea.

I have to assume either this is satire or you simply don't understand what it is you're talking about.

Those seem to be the twin possibilities.

But I do know about the palatial NYC central public library and its Guttenberg Bible and estimated value in all events. Check it out next time you dare to venture into the center of the universe (at least for the number of  illegal dispensaries if nothing else) from its interstices.

Hope that helps.

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 07:23:39 PM »

Having lived in a small town, this falls into the same realm of truth as the liberal idea that public schools are the backbone of our democracy -- which is to say that it is completely false. Small towns do not need government run libraries to survive. And if they think they do, they are more than welcome to use their own funds to pay for them.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 07:43:34 PM »

Missouri has been waging a war against its public library system for years now. Large blow to upward (geographic) mobility. Very sad to see.

State sponsored daycare is also, in fact, fine.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 07:56:56 PM »

And if they think they do, they are more than welcome to use their own funds to pay for them.

What funds?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 08:00:06 PM »

And if they think they do, they are more than welcome to use their own funds to pay for them.

What funds?

Municipal funds (or charity donations, but I was referring to municipal funds/actions by cities and townships in the original post).
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 08:03:23 PM »

Having lived in a small town, this falls into the same realm of truth as the liberal idea that public schools are the backbone of our democracy -- which is to say that it is completely false...

Lmao. Since when and where did "a well educated public is the backbone of democracy" get somehow misconstrued into being exclusively about public schools?

...Small towns do not need government run libraries to survive. And if they think they do, they are more than welcome to use their own funds to pay for them.

Damn bro, which public library hurt you?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 08:12:26 PM »

Having lived in a small town, this falls into the same realm of truth as the liberal idea that public schools are the backbone of our democracy -- which is to say that it is completely false...

Lmao. Since when and where did "a well educated public is the backbone of democracy" get somehow misconstrued into being exclusively about public schools?

...Small towns do not need government run libraries to survive. And if they think they do, they are more than welcome to use their own funds to pay for them.

1. https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/weingarten-schools-are-key-in-the-fight-to-save-democracy/

2. Don't be dumb.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 08:17:32 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 08:23:22 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

1. https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/weingarten-schools-are-key-in-the-fight-to-save-democracy/

2. Don't be dumb.

People's World... is a Marxist and American leftist national daily online news publication.

>marxists
>being liberal

pick one

2. Cope and seethe
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies