The “TikTok” bill is a sneak attack - criminalizing VPNs, internet privacy (remember SOPA/PIPA?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:23:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The “TikTok” bill is a sneak attack - criminalizing VPNs, internet privacy (remember SOPA/PIPA?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The “TikTok” bill is a sneak attack - criminalizing VPNs, internet privacy (remember SOPA/PIPA?)  (Read 1062 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2023, 08:55:41 PM »
« edited: March 29, 2023, 09:00:22 PM by Blue3 »

The “RESTRICT Act”

contains “insanely broad” language and could lead to other apps or communications services with connections to foreign countries being banned in the U.S., multiple digital rights experts told Motherboard.

The bill could have implications not just for social networks, but potentially security tools such as virtual private networks (VPNs) that consumers use to encrypt and route their traffic, one said. Although the intention of the bill is to target apps or services that pose a threat to national security, these critics worry it may have much wider implications for the First Amendment.

Horrifying, but it makes sense..

Anyone remember SOPA or PIPA?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA

It makes sense, they’re trying again, 11 years later. TikTok and nationalism are the new excuse. Trying to get the old idea (end of Internet liberty/privacy) passed, with shiny new package.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »

It’s over, the American people want Chinese style internet restriction, there is no fighting back now. The ban for tiktok will inevitably lead to things like this and even more restriction, it’s the logical conclusion of banning an app with no actual proof of wrongdoing just because you don’t like it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 09:20:16 PM »

All these "national security" politicians are running this country into the ground. Lifespans went down 2.7 years in the past 2 years, climate change is getting worse, and yet they don't do anything to make us more secure.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »

This is a very interesting bill because all the centrist politicians support it, but when you move outwards to the extremes you see people like AOC and Tucker Carlson being visibly against it.
THKL
Rookie
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 09:55:36 PM »

The “RESTRICT Act”

contains “insanely broad” language and could lead to other apps or communications services with connections to foreign countries being banned in the U.S., multiple digital rights experts told Motherboard.

The bill could have implications not just for social networks, but potentially security tools such as virtual private networks (VPNs) that consumers use to encrypt and route their traffic, one said. Although the intention of the bill is to target apps or services that pose a threat to national security, these critics worry it may have much wider implications for the First Amendment.

It makes sense, they’re trying again, 11 years later. TikTok and nationalism are the new excuse. Trying to get the old idea (end of Internet liberty/privacy) passed, with shiny new package.
If Biden signs this sh**t into law he will officially go down as one of the worst Presidents in US History for completely shredding the First Amendment (the US internet will essentially be no different then Chinas great Firewall) and laying the groundwork for a Far-Right Fascist Republican Police State, 🤢🤮!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 10:19:18 PM »

This is a very interesting bill because all the centrist politicians support it, but when you move outwards to the extremes you see people like AOC and Tucker Carlson being visibly against it.
As usual follow the money. I wonder how many of these corrupt centrists have meta stock?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 10:44:23 PM »

Dumb-dumbs on both sides of the aisle have long been united in ”bipartisan” attempts to break the internet.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 10:47:48 PM »

Makes sense if you look at it that centrist=establishment. Censorship/Media Regulations usually favor them.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:04:06 PM »

But the US is the freest country on the planet. I know it because Fox News told me.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 11:46:00 PM »

The "RESTRICT" Act is hot garbage and hopefully we see it sunk through a massive campaign and outcry from all corners of the internet.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 06:01:18 AM »

"Hey Sawx, why won't you vote for Warner?"

Yeeeah.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 06:27:44 AM »

Makes sense if you look at it that centrist=establishment. Censorship/Media Regulations usually favor them.

Of course. There's nothing more bipartisan in American politics than f**iing over the little guy to fund the excesses of the rich and powerful (see; 2016 bank reform, railroad union vote).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 06:32:30 AM »

They never stop. It’s bills like these that stir sympathy with the 1/6 terrorists.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 06:44:29 AM »

As usual follow the money. I wonder how many of these corrupt centrists have meta stock?

Somewhere OVER 9000
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 06:54:52 AM »

Somewhere OVER 9000

I wonder what the Caiyans think of this.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »

Man, THEY'RE NOT EVEN HIDING THEIR INTENTIONS NOW.

Anyway, even if you ignored the man's long history of arguing against privacy rights, Gestapo Joe has already shown DURING HIS PRESIDENCY that he doesn't consider basic civil liberties to be important things.  Anyone remember that supreme court case in Rhode Island?  You know the one where the local cops went into a man's home while he was away and took his guns without a warrant?  That case?  You know the case where every single supreme court justice sided with the man in question because the abuse of constitutional rights was so over the top no justice could possibly see the other side of the situation?  Yeah Joe Biden not only sided with the Rhode Island cops but was so confident in his toxic masculinity that he made his opposition to the man's rights public and argued for the court to vote against it.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/05/supreme-court-rules-warrantless-home-gun-confiscation-is-unconstitutional-in-9-0-vote/

"In March, the Biden administration urged the Supreme Court to uphold the lower court’s ruling, arguing the actions taken by law enforcement to confiscate the petitioner’s firearms without a warrant were “reasonable.”

“The touchstone of the Fourth Amendment is reasonableness,” the DOJ’s brief stated. “For criminal investigations, this Court has generally incorporated the Warrant Clause into the Fourth Amendment’s overarching reasonableness requirement, but it has not generally done so for searches or seizures objectively premised on justifications other than the investigation of wrongdoing.”

“The ultimate question in this case is therefore not whether the respondent officers’ actions fit within some narrow warrant exception, but instead whether those actions were reasonable. And under all the circumstances here, they were,” the brief added."

Yeah I imagine support is high among Republicans, but let's not fool ourselves the chances of the administration signing this with bullsh*t rationalizations is a bit higher than the administration vetoing this out of partisan spite.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 12:05:35 PM »

I just really hope this sees protests similar to SOPA/PIPA.

If anyone finds petitions, please send here.

We need to get more politicians who are actually young enough to correctly understand the Internet, and the impacts of bills like this, into Congress.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 12:07:23 PM »

We need to get more politicians who are actually young enough to correctly understand the Internet, and the impacts of bills like this, into Congress.
I don’t usually protest, but if anyone knows of a DC based protest against this please send notice. We must stop this overreach!
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 01:13:58 PM »

The “RESTRICT Act”

If they want to ban tiktok they should ban it specifically and state the reasons clearly, not create a blanket law that bans others with it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 01:41:11 PM »

The “RESTRICT Act”

If they want to ban tiktok they should ban it specifically and state the reasons clearly, not create a blanket law that bans others with it.
The problem with that is, they don’t really have a reason beyond speculation. When pressed for any evidence whatsoever of security issues, they at best provide a Buzzfeed article that says there may be the chance someone in China could see a limited amount of data.

That is the standard of evidence our government is going off of for an unprecedented attack on the free expression of nearly 100 million Americans. Of course they can’t say that out loud so they have to play up the mindless rhetoric and lump other vague security stuff in as well (which happens to be just as bad if not even worse than the actual tiktok ban)

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 02:43:56 PM »

Warner is lowkey one of the more odious members of the Senate - helped kill the PRO Act while gleefully hiding behind Manchin and Sinema.

When I talk about "rotating villains", I don't talk about Biden, Schumer, and Jeffries in a smoke room scheming about how to lead progressives on. I talk about the assholes like Warner or Carper or Shaheen who think like Manchin and Sinema but are perfectly willing to hide under their cover and dodge the wrath of the electorate.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 05:16:11 PM »

The “RESTRICT Act”

The alleged problem with TikTok is data privacy.

So pass a law that actually PROTECTS PRIVACY, and have it apply to everyone, TikTok but also Meta and Apple and Google and Microsoft and Police departments and Federal agencies, etc.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 08:19:02 PM »

Disturbing stuff.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »

I don’t usually protest, but if anyone knows of a DC based protest against this please send notice. We must stop this overreach!

I missed this. But I did email my two senators and congressperson today, via their government websites.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 08:46:41 PM »

I missed this. But I did email my two senators and congressperson today, via their government websites.
Great! If enough people email some low level staffer will take note and it could eventually spread upwards. I am guessing most staffers (of the Democratic offices) also are against this anyways.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies