According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:42:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage?  (Read 2084 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« on: March 30, 2023, 12:10:30 AM »

I don't understand the premise of this question.

Interracial marriages don't need to increase or decrease. People can date and marry who they want. Let things happen naturally. Nothing should be forced to happen.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 12:16:07 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 01:09:27 AM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

But marriages in general are down too. Perhaps then, this suggests interracial couples prefer sticking to partnerships?
EDIT: Yeah, like you said, marriages in general are down - so that also means intraracial (same-race) marriages as well.

Also, NOT all relationships are marriages or will lead to one. In fact, casual dating and hookups are way up especially among younger people. Many of those relationships or "situationships" are interracial.

Further, some people are in committed relationships but either aren't married yet or don't want to marry at all.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:41:04 PM »

The guy is big in the Black community and he's gonna give Democrats a lot of problems in the future over interracial marriage and reparations, so he's gonna be a thorn in the Democrats' for years to come.
False on all accounts.

Most Black people (who even know of him) view Dr. Umar more as a comic than a serious figure. Also, while there are some Black people who are anti-interracial relationships, it is not a widely held viewpoint and definitely not more prevalent compared to people of other races.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 03:32:44 PM »

People like Umar are seen as the Black Left, hence why a lot of white Americans are Republicans.
Bronz, just stop it please.

Dr. Umar is not even close to being apart of the "Black Left". He's not left wing at all and hates both the Democratic & Republican parties.

I don't know what you're talking about 95% of the time. Sometimes though, you go even further into la-la land.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 05:53:07 PM »

Stop. Just stop it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2023, 12:25:30 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

So I gotta get this off my chest. American media fixates too much on only one type of interracial relationship, to the detriment of others. Have we all forgotten a tried and tested classic, which I will title "the Jim Webb"? Or its reverse, stemming from the ARVN veterans that came here for freedom after the fall of Saigon?

Image attribution: bustle.com. Source: https://www.bustle.com/articles/94753-who-is-jim-webbs-wife-hong-le-webb-is-said-to-be-his-closest-adviser

This is not to even mention white-Latino, which can never receive any attention since it would involve finally admitting that (many) Latinos are white.
I definitely agree that American media focuses primarily on Black-White interracial couples compared to others. But that's also because of the extremely dark racial history between White people and Black people in this country.

Black-White relationships were the most taboo (especially Black men with White women). That stigma still lingers a bit today.

Also, interracial dating statistically is more prevalent in Western states + Hawaii & Alaska than in Eastern states (where most of the American population lives and the center of political power in America).
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »

I agree with everything except one thing. I suspect 40-50% of black people oppose interracial marriage. Almost all are black women.
40-50%? What are you basing that on?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 05:40:18 PM »

I agree with everything except one thing. I suspect 40-50% of black people oppose interracial marriage. Almost all are black women.
40-50%? What are you basing that on?

A lot of black women HATE white women and white women taking their black men. OJ was a catalyst. There is a reason why people look down on interracial marriages, but people should let people be, but that is the world we live in today.
Um, multiple things:

*I wasn't talking to you but to Pres. Mike lol.

*I wasn't talking about Black women but specifically his statement of "40-50% of Black people oppose interracial marriage".

*Some Black women being opposed to Black men-White women relationships was a thing long before OJ.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 08:50:51 PM »

Personal observation and what I've been told.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4465800/

7/10 of black women are unmarried. The percentage of black women who will never marry is much higher than the percentage of black men who will never marry.

A certain percentage of black men will only date/marry white women. Much higher than white men who exclusivily date black women. Or black women who date white men.

This is a well recorded phenomenon. So from personal observation, what I've been told by my black friends, and numerous jokes from the black comedians like Key and Peele, I suspect almost all black women oppose interacial marriage.Thus 40-50% of the black population, give or take. Could be 30 could be 60.

In fact, I would argue percentage wise more black people oppose interacial marriage than white people....
I'll preface by saying that I'm a Black man, so I have a good insight into this.

Most Black people regardless of gender are not against interracial relationships. However, due to the racial history of America, traditional American/Western beauty standards and the dating hierarchy, some Black women disapprove of Black men dating White women (and other non-Black women).

"40-50% of Black people" are NOT opposed to IR dating but this is a complex convo though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies