According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:03:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: According to Pew, only 10% of marriages are interracial. How can we increase that percentage?  (Read 2104 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2023, 08:22:21 PM »

Dr. Umar? Usually I'd lend his ideas credence but my populist anti-credentialism makes me distrust anyone who calls his or her public persona "Doctor".

Sorry!

The guy is big in the Black community and he's gonna give Democrats a lot of problems in the future over interracial marriage and reparations, so he's gonna be a thorn in the Democrats' for years to come.

After 15 years, most people in this country have no idea who Jeremiah Wright is, and he has a much closer connection to any individual famous person than this "Dr. Umar" character does.

Even if it is more prevalent than most liberals would admit, there's really no salience in the Black anti-interracial marriage stances that you see in a lot of Black circles. Liberals will excuse it and swing voters will bury this under a hundred of other juicier culture war topics.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2023, 08:41:04 PM »

The guy is big in the Black community and he's gonna give Democrats a lot of problems in the future over interracial marriage and reparations, so he's gonna be a thorn in the Democrats' for years to come.
False on all accounts.

Most Black people (who even know of him) view Dr. Umar more as a comic than a serious figure. Also, while there are some Black people who are anti-interracial relationships, it is not a widely held viewpoint and definitely not more prevalent compared to people of other races.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2023, 08:50:05 PM »

An easy way to increase the number might be to recognize more discrete racial groups -- we frequently discuss adding a MENA category to the Census, and I believe Florida has considered recognizing a "Lusitanic" category in addition to a Hispanic one. South and East Asians can be broken up from each other.

The more races we have, the more existing marriages can be recognized as interracial, causing the statistic cited in your first post to soar.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »

"We" should not do anything, you authoritarian. Why the heck do you have a yellow avatar?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 09:31:48 PM »

By enlisting Atlas to find me a man, that should bump the percentage up at least a little bit. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2023, 09:35:46 PM »

An easy way to increase the number might be to recognize more discrete racial groups -- we frequently discuss adding a MENA category to the Census, and I believe Florida has considered recognizing a "Lusitanic" category in addition to a Hispanic one. South and East Asians can be broken up from each other.

The more races we have, the more existing marriages can be recognized as interracial, causing the statistic cited in your first post to soar.
But Hispanic is not a separate race on the Census.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »

But Hispanic is not a separate race on the Census.

True (and I believe Lusitanic would also not be a separate race), but the article OP posted cites a particular Pew Research poll as a source, which counts Hispanic marriages to non-Hispanic individuals as interracial. If it were defined the same way the Census does, then a somewhat smaller number of marriages than 10% would be interracial.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »

I am in an interracial marriage and I dont think it matters if it is 1% or 100%.

I’m also in an interracial marriage and believe I should be the only one.

Your move.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2023, 09:53:04 PM »

Dr. Umar? Usually I'd lend his ideas credence but my populist anti-credentialism makes me distrust anyone who calls his or her public persona "Doctor".

Sorry!

I honest to god cannot tell if you're deeply committed to a bit or if you're just genuinely an idiot.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »

False on all accounts.

Most Black people (who even know of him) view Dr. Umar more as a comic than a serious figure. Also, while there are some Black people who are anti-interracial relationships, it is not a widely held viewpoint and definitely not more prevalent compared to people of other races.

He's not a comic when he is on Roland Martin's show or Charlamagne's show...the guy is serious...
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2023, 06:03:15 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2023, 07:33:16 AM by Brandonton, FL »

I dated a girl who was a regular listener of the good Dr. Umar's. And I'm a proud cannibalistic caveson of Yakub, what now Bronz?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »

I dated a girl who was a regular listener of the good Dr. Umar's. And I'm a proud cannibalistic caveson of Yakub, what now Bronz?

It doesn't matter if you are a white leftist, you are still seen as a cannibalistic caveson, so Umar would not like you anyway.

People like Umar are seen as the Black Left, hence why a lot of white Americans are Republicans.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2023, 03:32:44 PM »

People like Umar are seen as the Black Left, hence why a lot of white Americans are Republicans.
Bronz, just stop it please.

Dr. Umar is not even close to being apart of the "Black Left". He's not left wing at all and hates both the Democratic & Republican parties.

I don't know what you're talking about 95% of the time. Sometimes though, you go even further into la-la land.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2023, 05:41:28 PM »

Bronz, just stop it please.

Dr. Umar is not even close to being apart of the "Black Left". He's not left wing at all and hates both the Democratic & Republican parties.

I don't know what you're talking about 95% of the time. Sometimes though, you go even further into la-la land.

He is the Black Left. He is the Black Left that does not vote anymore, or he probably voted for Obama, stayed home in 2016 and voted for Biden begrudgingly.

He hates both parties because he sees both parties being a vessel of white supremacy. He wants an all-black party.....

Umar is no joke.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2023, 05:53:07 PM »

Stop. Just stop it.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2023, 02:50:29 AM »

Whoa whoa let people choose who they marry instead of trying to increase that...

Remember that a large chunk of the US population is living in rural and suburban areas which are overwhelmingly mono-ethnic (usually by choice tbf).

Let people choose who they marry or you're not a proper libertarian...
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »

It doesn't matter if you are a white leftist, you are still seen as a cannibalistic caveson, so Umar would not like you anyway.

This may come as a surprise to you, but most black people have never heard of Dr. Umar. Most black people on the left likely haven't heard of Dr. Umar.

The black leftists I know who have heard of Dr. Umar don't particularly care for him. He certainly has a substantial following, but that following doesn't make up a substantial portion of the black left or black people in general for that matter.

Tacking the black left onto Dr. Umar is a bit like tacking the white right onto Sam Hyde. They only have pull with a fraction of a fraction of internet politics weirdos.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »

So I gotta get this off my chest. American media fixates too much on only one type of interracial relationship, to the detriment of others. Have we all forgotten a tried and tested classic, which I will title "the Jim Webb"? Or its reverse, stemming from the ARVN veterans that came here for freedom after the fall of Saigon?

Image attribution: bustle.com. Source: https://www.bustle.com/articles/94753-who-is-jim-webbs-wife-hong-le-webb-is-said-to-be-his-closest-adviser

This is not to even mention white-Latino, which can never receive any attention since it would involve finally admitting that (many) Latinos are white.
SInNYC

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2023, 12:19:33 PM »

I think it's just a matter of time. America is becoming more heterogeneous and more tolerant every year.

Wrong. Dr. Umar Johnson, who is one of the most beloved Black commentators disagrees with you and the Democratic Party. A lot of Black Democrats think like him, aren't no different than White Republicans.

This is your party, this is what your party is going to have to get votes from in South Carolina, etc.

I have no idea who the heck this Umar guy is, but blacks are not in general against interracial marriage. In the most recent vote repealing the anti-miscegenation laws (MS, 1987), repeal won by a narrow 52-48 statewide but the margin was much larger in black parts of MS. People back then were also making the same claim that you are here.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2023, 12:25:30 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

So I gotta get this off my chest. American media fixates too much on only one type of interracial relationship, to the detriment of others. Have we all forgotten a tried and tested classic, which I will title "the Jim Webb"? Or its reverse, stemming from the ARVN veterans that came here for freedom after the fall of Saigon?

Image attribution: bustle.com. Source: https://www.bustle.com/articles/94753-who-is-jim-webbs-wife-hong-le-webb-is-said-to-be-his-closest-adviser

This is not to even mention white-Latino, which can never receive any attention since it would involve finally admitting that (many) Latinos are white.
I definitely agree that American media focuses primarily on Black-White interracial couples compared to others. But that's also because of the extremely dark racial history between White people and Black people in this country.

Black-White relationships were the most taboo (especially Black men with White women). That stigma still lingers a bit today.

Also, interracial dating statistically is more prevalent in Western states + Hawaii & Alaska than in Eastern states (where most of the American population lives and the center of political power in America).
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2023, 06:00:56 PM by The Arizonan »

What do you think the ideal interracial marriage percentage is? 100%? 10%? Something else?

source

Who cares about this issue? The percentage is going up anyways.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2023, 03:34:45 PM »

People are mostly giving OP sh**t in this thread, but I think it would be a legitimately bad sign for society if the rate of interracial marriage was like 0.2%.

With that said, 10% seems like a reasonably good number, especially given that (at least according to this article from Pew), 17% of new marriages were interracial as of 2017.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »

I'm in a gay AND interracial relationship. I'm here to woke-ify your stats, America.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »

I think it's just a matter of time. America is becoming more heterogeneous and more tolerant every year.

Wrong. Dr. Umar Johnson, who is one of the most beloved Black commentators disagrees with you and the Democratic Party. A lot of Black Democrats think like him, aren't no different than White Republicans.

This is your party, this is what your party is going to have to get votes from in South Carolina, etc.

I have no idea who the heck this Umar guy is, but blacks are not in general against interracial marriage. In the most recent vote repealing the anti-miscegenation laws (MS, 1987), repeal won by a narrow 52-48 statewide but the margin was much larger in black parts of MS. People back then were also making the same claim that you are here.

Umar is a big deal, you are underestimating him, that is the reality of the situation. A lot of blacks are against interracial marriage more than whites. Whites have been taught since 1968 to be colorblind and not see race, when it is different for Blacks.

Most black people HATE white women, and white women-black men pairings....they despise it. Look at how the OJ trial went. Yet white women and black men still mingle, white men and black men, etc. Nothing wrong with it but it still happens.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2023, 02:00:33 PM »

False on all accounts.

I agree with everything except one thing. I suspect 40-50% of black people oppose interracial marriage. Almost all are black women.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies