DeSantis’ Reedy Creek board says Disney stripped its power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:30:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis’ Reedy Creek board says Disney stripped its power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DeSantis’ Reedy Creek board says Disney stripped its power  (Read 1572 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2023, 03:49:34 PM »

Disney did a really good job here

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ handpicked board overseeing Disney World’s government services is gearing up for a potential legal battle over a 30-year development agreement they say effectively renders them powerless to manage the entertainment giant’s future growth in Central Florida.

Ahead of an expected state takeover, the Walt Disney Co. quietly pushed through the pact and restrictive covenants that would tie the hands of future board members for decades, according to a legal presentation by the district’s lawyers on Wednesday.

“This essentially makes Disney the government,” board member Ron Peri said. “This board loses, for practical purposes, the majority of its ability to do anything beyond maintaining the roads and maintaining basic infrastructure.”

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »

I got sick of Disney by the time I was a teenager, and I can't help but cringe a little at certain "Disney adults," but suddenly I love Disney and want to do everything I can to support them. I got nice deal on Disney+ with my Hulu bundle and I certainly won't be cancelling it!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 04:23:59 PM »

Disney's lawers vs Republicans trying to embrace cancel culture, I wonder who's going to win that....
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 04:33:45 PM »

Utterly humiliating, and there is no winning scenario for him here. Either he retreats and just can't bring up his most public "win" in the campaign, or he tries for extralegal measures and likely loses even harder. Well deserved!
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 04:45:55 PM »

Among other things, a “declaration of restrictive covenants” spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

What.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 04:48:20 PM »

Among other things, a “declaration of restrictive covenants” spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

What.

Holy crap DeSantis is an actual buffoon.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 04:54:26 PM »

$795 an hour to pay hired lawyers to lose against something legally agreed to before Red Tide Ron took over. Going to be millions, possibly billions by the time they give up. Poor elderly Floridians.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 05:29:35 PM »

Disney has far too much power and needs to be split up.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 05:36:20 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 05:40:03 PM by Person Man »

I got sick of Disney by the time I was a teenager, and I can't help but cringe a little at certain "Disney adults," but suddenly I love Disney and want to do everything I can to support them. I got nice deal on Disney+ with my Hulu bundle and I certainly won't be cancelling it!

We had the Floridian annual special in 2001 or something after it expired, I’ve never went back despite having had moved back for 2 years in Tampa, 2 years in Orlando, and 2 years in Jacksonville.

Maybe I’ll take my kids one day? But I’d rather spend the 3 grand for a week at the contemporary or 5 k at the swan on a family road trip through the Alps or across Britain or maybe even a trip to Tenerife!
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 06:09:20 PM »

Wasting money to own the cons.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »

It's what, $30 extra per year to add on Disney+ if you already have Hulu? That's hardly a waste of money unless you literally don't watch anything the whole year.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 06:19:33 PM »

It's what, $30 extra per year to add on Disney+ if you already have Hulu? That's hardly a waste of money unless you literally don't watch anything the whole year.

I have Disney+ and you're right that I don't think Disney+ is a waste of money. But getting Disney+ if you don't actually want it just because you want to own the cons is a waste of money.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 06:21:59 PM »

I agree that Disney is too powerful and has more than their fair share of faults as a corporation, but I just cannot avoid enjoying the schadenfreude they are offering me in their conflicts with Rhonda Santis and coming out the victor.

Don't f*** with the Mouse.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 07:47:19 PM »

I agree that Disney is too powerful and has more than their fair share of faults as a corporation, but I just cannot avoid enjoying the schadenfreude they are offering me in their conflicts with Rhonda Santis and coming out the victor.

Don't f*** with the Mouse.

I mean, is it easier as a society  to deal with Disney or the Republican Party?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 08:31:02 PM »

What.
That’s the “rule against perpetuities.” It’s an old common law thing. When you convey property rights to someone else, you can’t actually put in conditions that last “forever.” Whatever strings you attach in the deed are only good if they must vest, if at all, not later than 21 years after some life in being at the time of the conveyance. So lawyers drafting this stuff put in the silly clause about the stipulation lasting as long as 21 years after the death of the last living relative of some celebrity.

I’m doing a bad job explaining it. Property law was my worst subject in law school.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 09:24:06 PM »

What.

Ron “Robespierre had the right idea” DeSantis
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 10:45:05 PM »

Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 11:07:12 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 11:15:16 PM by Christian Man Stands With The French Protestors »

I wasn't opposed to the idea because a corporation shouldn't have the right to own government land but this is turning out to be a real dumpster fire. Reminds me of something that a Communist would do.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 11:12:28 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 06:07:38 PM by Command of what? There's no one here. »

I'm not going to actively support a conglomerate's efforts to evade oversight by legitimate state authorities, but I can't exactly say I'm sorry for DeSantis here.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 11:17:10 AM »

Not a Lawyer in Florida but I doubt these agreements end up standing.

Quite the troll job though.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 11:24:21 AM »

It was all done legally. Disney is not stupid and made sure they didn't leave any loose ends. Going to court is only a waste of taxpayer dollars.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 11:25:33 AM »

I would not, personally, bet against the legal success of the Walt Disney Company. Bad track record there.
johnzaharoff

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »

It was all done legally. Disney is not stupid and made sure they didn't leave any loose ends. Going to court is only a waste of taxpayer dollars.

There are several potential legal problems hre. Rule against perpetuities etc.

The Trump admin couldn't in its closing days come to an agreement with the Trump organization on not regulating them until the death of Charles's grandson that would bind the Biden Admin.

I expect Disney expects these agreements to fail. Instead they want to play for time.

Also as for the taxpayer thing, I do wonder if the Board could raise a tax and effectively cause Disney to pay both sides legal fees.  
johnzaharoff

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 11:35:18 AM »

I would not, personally, bet against the legal success of the Walt Disney Company. Bad track record there.

While true, they are not undefeated.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Disney-loses-legal-battle-in-Albany-over-6-3-17522272.php#:~:text=ALBANY%20%E2%80%93%20New%20York's%20second%2Dhighest,it%20now%20owes%20the%20state.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/12/09/4-times-disney-was-sued-and-lost/
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »

There are several potential legal problems hre. Rule against perpetuities etc.

The Trump admin couldn't in its closing days come to an agreement with the Trump organization on not regulating them until the death of Charles's grandson that would bind the Biden Admin.

I expect Disney expects these agreements to fail. Instead they want to play for time.

Also as for the taxpayer thing, I do wonder if the Board could raise a tax and effectively cause Disney to pay both sides legal fees.  

The former Trump Administration has nothing to do with this and such an agreement would not even be legal. For a private company on the other hand the board of the district used their authority pre-transition to approve agreements and they did it in compliance with the Sunshine Law. The agreement is even perpetual because technically (as morbid as it sounds) King Charles the III's descendants could pass away at any time just like anyone else. And raising taxes just because DeSantis didn't get his way is absurd to say the least.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies