Idaho is about to become the first state to restrict interstate travel for abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Idaho is about to become the first state to restrict interstate travel for abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Idaho is about to become the first state to restrict interstate travel for abortion  (Read 1912 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:38:43 PM »

Blatantly unconstitutional.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:43:09 PM »

That ad about cops pulling women over in the dead of night was prescient. This is unconstitutional under the Slaughterhouse Cases' interpretation of the Privileges or Immunities Clause and under Saenz v. Roe.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 03:46:28 PM »

That ad about cops pulling women over in the dead of night was prescient. This is unconstitutional under the Slaughterhouse Cases' interpretation of the Privileges or Immunities Clause and under Saenz v. Roe.

Do you have the link to that thread? I'd love to take a look at how many right-wingers confidently assured us that no state would ever try and pass a law restricting interstate travel.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 03:56:28 PM »

I thought that bans don't make people stop doing illegal things?

That's what conservatives and Republicans tell me. What's going on? Huh
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »

Shameful authoritarian garbage.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »

Any "libertarian" that votes for the GOP is a rank authoritarian who's just too embarrassed to call himself a Republican.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:25:34 PM »

Do you have the link to that thread? I'd love to take a look at how many right-wingers confidently assured us that no state would ever try and pass a law restricting interstate travel.

The left just doesn’t understand the right at all.

lmao

#GOPHandmaidsTale is preaching to the choir if I ever saw it. 

Not a single swing voter will ever see anything Meidas Touch produces but they'll rake in millions from resisters for making these silly ads.

Do you deny that this sort of thing is going to happen in states that ban abortion?

Yes

And I'll just leave this nugget of prescience here:

The Republican playbook nowadays is "tell them it won't happen" and then say "it isn't a big deal" when it happpens. They'll DEFINITELY keep telling you it won't happen, right up until it happens.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 04:27:30 PM »

Absolutely unconstitutional and would set a nightmarish precedent that would probably tear the country apart.   Think of if blue states banned traveling to other states to purchase firearms?   It'd basically be the start of forming two different countries for all intents and purposes.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 04:31:11 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 04:39:19 PM by Skill and Chance »

This is unconstitutional under the Slaughterhouse Cases' interpretation of the Privileges or Immunities Clause and under Saenz v. Roe.

Those cases appear to have reinforced a general right to travel between states, but it doesn't look like either of those cases dealt with an adult 3rd party taking a minor out-of-state without their parent/guardian's consent?  That's a very specific situation that could reasonably be construed as kidnapping depending on the exact fact pattern.  Also, note Thomas and Rhenquist dissented from Saenz v. Roe.   That case would likely draw at least 3 dissents today. 

Even while Roe/Casey was still law, a majority of states required parental consent for a minor's abortion.  Casey upheld parental notification while striking down spousal notification.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:31:48 PM »

Let me guess, the BeepBoop response is “lol this is just being proposed” or “lol this won’t be enforced”
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 04:38:05 PM »

Absolutely unconstitutional and would set a nightmarish precedent that would probably tear the country apart.   Think of if blue states banned traveling to other states to purchase firearms?   It'd basically be the start of forming two different countries for all intents and purposes.

I believe a lot of blue states have done that, if I’m not mistaken?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »

I thought that bans don't make people stop doing illegal things?

That's what conservatives and Republicans tell me. What's going on? Huh

The abortion/guns dichotomy in this country is shocking, but nor surprising.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 04:44:03 PM »

The Supreme Court is going to uphold this. Same five justices too.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »

Kavanaugh explicitly called this unconstitutional in his Dobbs concurrence, so if they do that would be an all-time flip-flop.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 04:55:18 PM »

Kavanaugh explicitly called this unconstitutional in his Dobbs concurrence, so if they do that would be an all-time flip-flop.

He could get away with it based on the minor angle, perhaps. Maybe not likely but there’s some room there. At this point I wouldn’t put it past them. Everyone claiming otherwise also claimed we wouldn’t get to this point in the first place.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 04:56:19 PM »

He could get away with it based on the minor angle, perhaps. Maybe not likely but there’s some room there. At this point I wouldn’t put it past them. Everyone claiming otherwise also claimed we wouldn’t get to this point in the first place.

How different is this in practice  from the parental notification laws in place prior to Dobbs?  That's probably what it will come down to.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 06:24:30 PM »

Conservatives are no stranger to hypocrisy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 06:32:40 PM »

I remember with his typical level of disengagement to the real world beep boop repeatedly trumpeted how liberals were just being hysterical over it, and showing and add of a mother and her teenage daughter being stopped and questioned by policeman during a traffic stop would NEVER happen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 06:38:20 PM »

I would respect the hell out any blue avatar if they came on here and admitted they were wrong to be snarky and dismissive our concerns, now they have been proven to be well-founded.

Who am I kidding? They're not even going to click on this thread, much less post on it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 07:12:06 PM »

Do you deny that this sort of thing is going to happen in states that ban abortion?
Yes

Care to comment, OSR?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 07:12:30 PM »

Wonder what a poll would show if you asked parents "Would you support someone being able to legally take your child to another state for a surgery or other medical intervention without your knowledge?"
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 07:13:53 PM »

Wonder what a poll would show if you asked parents "Would you support someone being able to legally take your child to another state for a surgery or other medical intervention without your knowledge?"

Yeah I wonder what would happen if you specifically phrased a poll in a biased way?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:17 PM »

This is blatantly unconstitutional, but the Supreme Court won't care. Welcome to Gilead, people.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:48 PM »

Yeah I wonder what would happen if you specifically phrased a poll in a biased way?

It's only biased in that it frames abortion as just another medical procedure.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 07:29:03 PM »

Yes

Care to comment, OSR?

I refer to Skill and Chance’s post
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies