Opinion of this quote on Republican mayors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this quote on Republican mayors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this quote?
Freedom Quote

Horrible Quote

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Opinion of this quote on Republican mayors  (Read 321 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:59:49 PM »

What is your opinion of the quote by the late Staten Island Borough President Guy Molinari, who said New York City will NEVER elect another Republican again:

Expanding on remarks he first made to the Staten Island Advance, Molinari said the election of Mayor Giuliani on the Republican and Liberal lines in 1993 was “an aberration.”

“It’s just a political fact of life,” added Molinari, one of the mayor’s closest allies. “Our base has moved out to New Jersey and Connecticut and been replaced by Democrats.”

A lot of people think that Paul Vallas (Chicago), Rick Caruso (Los Angeles) and Eric Adams (New York City) are Republicans masquerading as Democrats, but they are moderate Democrats who appeal to conservative and moderate voters who live in cities.

Is Molinari's 1999 quote valid? Will Rudy Giuliani and others be the last Republican mayors EVER?

https://nypost.com/1999/03/03/2001-a-race-oddity-molinari-backs-hevesi/
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:53:53 PM »

I don't think it's a freedom quote or a horrible quote, I think that it's just a somewhat accurate (if oversimplified) observation.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 05:24:26 PM »

I don't think it's a freedom quote or a horrible quote, I think that it's just a somewhat accurate (if oversimplified) observation.

So you agree that Giuliani, Schundler, Riordan, etc. are the last Republicans ever to be mayor of those big cities, that they are aberrations, flukes? 

Cities have been Democratic-run since the founding of the country anyway....

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 05:42:07 PM »

Vallas is a lifelong Democrat who was a staffer to a Democratic politician in the 1980s and has run for statewide office twice (lost the gubernatorial primary in 2002 -- incidentally by just one point, 35%-36% -- and was the lieutenant gubernatorial nominee in 2014), both times as a Democrat. Caruso is fairly obviously a crypto-Republican and Adams at least has a history of sometimes supporting Republican politicians, but grouping Vallas in with them strikes me as very odd. I doubt he's voted Republican, at least for President or Governor, in his life.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies