Why are third trimester abortions controversial? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are third trimester abortions controversial? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are third trimester abortions controversial?  (Read 995 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: March 28, 2023, 08:13:17 PM »

There is a deep seated repulsion at the killing of babies.  In ancient history this could at times be overcome by appeals to the needs of the community. Today it is more often argued for by appeals to needs which are (at least on the face of it) more personal in nature. But many people are hard to convince.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 10:38:11 PM »

There is a deep seated repulsion at the killing of babies.  In ancient history this could at times be overcome by appeals to the needs of the community. Today it is more often argued for by appeals to needs which are (at least on the face of it) more personal in nature. But many people are hard to convince.

Sadly, I'm not sure this is correct. 

Even setting aside abortion, anti-infanticide cultures were few and far between over human history. Off the top of my head, places that consistently condemned it for at least ~1000 years: ancient Egyptians, ancient Israel, Christianized Europe from Roman Emperor Valentinian on, and Arabia after the Islamic conquest.  Ancient China outlawed it briefly, but the overall trend was toward it becoming more and more socially acceptable over time there.

Consistent opposition to pre-birth abortion since ancient times is basically just Christians, Muslims, and a few Greco-Roman stoics here and there (they were in a deep minority). 

All this is important to keep in mind.  But I believe that if you look at most of these societies where infanticide could be anywhere from tolerated to, in certain cases, obligatory, infants' lives are usually considered valuable and worthy of care and protection. But unlike in societies governed by a Christian or similar attitude, this value is not absolutized by institutions or social convention, and so may at times be set aside due to countervailing circumstances or cultural commitments. Political demands (in the broadest sense: the good of the community, cult, family, etc.) can overcome personal sentiment where that sentiment is not protected by law or religion.  In those contexts where the deaths of infants appear to be treated casually, it is probably in fact marked by severe cognitive dissonance.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 11:18:42 PM »

It's odd to show up in a thread planning to make a great point, and discover that Pete Buttigieg already made it three years ago.  Ah well.

Women don't make it all the way to their third trimester and then suddenly decide one day, "Nah, I've changed my mind; off to the clinic I go!"  And I have to wonder how many pro-lifers think they do?

Most women do not make such a decision, which is why the number of 3rd trimester abortions is much smaller than earlier on in the pregnancy.   But is it hard to imagine that some delay making a decision or continue to be conflicted about it?  Women also experience changes in circumstance, like the end or beginning of a relationship, that change what decision seems right or possible.  There are also a small number of women who do not realize they are pregnant until they are far along.   These are some of the reasons women have abortion late in pregnancy, along with fetal diagnoses of disabilities or fatal conditions, or threats to the mother's health. None of these should be assumed to be a flippant choice on the part of the women, but at the same time we should consider the child's life to be intrinsically worthy of protection when weighing what should be allowed and what shouldn't.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 12:48:05 PM »

Because this is a baby, not a clump of cells.

You had more than enough time to abort.  Should be limited to the first trimester.

Do you honestly believe that women who get abortions in the 3rd trimester are doing so electively?

I would hope not.  Regardless, anything post viability should only be allowed in very limited circumstances.  It should not be a choice when a living being is involved

The woman who is carrying the fetus is also a living being. Why should her rights be subjugated to that of something yet unborn, that has only potential at that point?

Which has more value to society, the fully grown woman who holds a job and pays taxes and who perhaps studies courses at college to become a vet, supports her church...or the potential life she is carrying?

And crying "you're killing babies" and "God this and God that..." doesn't cut it with me. Women in society are far more productive and needed than the fetus they are carrying and they should be treated as such.

The baby has more productive potential due to having more potential years of life ahead.

(Making life and death decisions on this basis is generally not such a great idea.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies