6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: 6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville  (Read 7588 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2023, 08:12:21 PM »

So at what point are we going to start putting the blame on the American voter?

The ones who continue to support the politicians who advocate for more guns and looser gun laws.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2023, 08:23:01 PM »

I've been doing that for a long time.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2023, 08:32:55 PM »

The ones who continue to support the politicians who advocate for more guns and looser gun laws.

How can you expect them to prioritize fixing this - with the paranoia that the government solution will end up being an overreach, like a total gun ban - when there are more important issues to worry about, such as stopping woke and the open border?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2023, 09:23:03 PM »

1. So what would be an effective deterrent for school shooters?

There is no "deterring" them. They're criminally insane and they intend to die while committing their killings.
So Fergie’s point is moot

How? If anything, Dule's argument affirms my point. I'm literally saying that the death penalty won't deter them. If there is no deterring school shooters, then implementing harsher punishment is pointless.
Just because it won’t deter them, that doesn’t change the fact that they still need to be appropriately punished for their crimes.

Why is the death penalty more appropriate than life in prison?
Because they took the lives of multiple children.

How would you construct an evidentiary standard that would allow for the execution of mass shooters but avoid wrongful executions with 100% accuracy?
Is there any case where someone was wrongly incarcerated for a school shooting?

So you would say that the death penalty should apply only to mass shootings and nothing else?

I don't hold this position myself, but "exceptionalist" views on the death penalty (only for mass shootings/child murders/crimes committed in wartime/etc.) aren't really that unusual, especially in other countries.

Sure, but my next question was going to be how we define a "mass shooting." When we think of this term, we generally think of a psychopath stalking from room to room with an assault rifle gunning people down, caught on camera from multiple angles, and publishing a manifesto taking credit for the attack. I understand that there's really no credible question of guilt in such cases. But how do we parse out a statutory distinction between that and, say, a drive-by gang shooting with no surveillance footage, in which guilt is not as certain?

Similar to that, when you see people with a tweet or a story about a count of mass shootings in America, it typically uses a much broader definition of a mass shooting than what comes to most of our minds when we hear the term.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2023, 09:27:01 PM »

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »

What is this graph intended to prove? That having more guns, in the short run, increases deaths from guns?

That’s kind of a truism, no?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2023, 10:03:38 PM »

Republicans are the problem.

They think drag shows are dangerous to children but couldn’t give a single F about guns being used shoot kids.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2023, 11:17:08 PM »

ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2023, 11:34:58 PM »

Minutes before the attack, the shooter sent a suicide note and warning on Instagram to a middle school basketball teammate.  The two had apparently had little to no contact as adults.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/she-checked-her-instagram-she-didnt-expect-a-message-from-the-covenant-school-shooter
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2023, 11:44:55 PM »

Murdoch knows what he's doing.  He always does.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2023, 12:01:20 AM »

Murdoch knows what he's doing.  He always does.

The police even said they're investigating the link between the shooter's gender identity and the school's beliefs as a potential motive.  It's probably imprudent for the news to present that as fact at this point (and the headline is worded to provoke), but that motivation certainly seems like the Occam's Razor explanation at this point.

Honestly, as a Christian in the Nashville area, I feel in my gut that my community was the victim of a hate crime.  And, from talking with others on social media and at a worship and prayer gathering tonight, I'm not alone in that feeling.  BUT, I love how the local community has all come together over the last 36 hours.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2023, 12:09:53 AM »

Honestly, as a Christian in the Nashville area, I feel in my gut that my community was the victim of a hate crime.

Being bigoted / intolerant against bigotry / intolerance itself is not comparable to actual bigotry / intolerance. What happened is TERRIBLE, I would never claim otherwise. BUT if the shooter was hateful of the school for how it was bigoted towards them or other LGBTQ people years ago, then that would not classify as a hate crime IMO. In the same way that discriminating against racists isn't the same as discriminating against a racial group.

Just how I feel. Others may disagree.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2023, 12:15:48 AM »

What is this graph intended to prove? That having more guns, in the short run, increases deaths from guns?

That’s kind of a truism, no?

But isn’t the whole Republican argument that reduce the availability/legality of guns wouldn’t reduce the amount of gun violence because then “only criminals would have guns”?  

And that the fact that the US is a huge outlier in gun violence is not due to gun ownership but other sociatal factors?

Why don’t all the criminals still have guns in all the countries where civilian ownership is illegal?

In fact, the US is right on the regression line of the graph (at least I assume it is a regression line?).  This would somewhat suggest that the US has exactly the number of gun deaths that our rate of gun ownership would suggest when compared to other countries, and thus the US really isn’t any different than those other countries -except- with respect to gun ownership.  I.e. there’s no large positive residual left to be explained by other factors.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2023, 12:24:13 AM »

Two of the three adults killed were personal friends of Maria Lee, wife to Governor Bill Lee

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11913789/Tennessee-Governor-reveals-Nashville-school-shooting-victim-Cindy-Peak-wifes-best-friend.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=social-twitter_dailymailus
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2023, 12:41:19 AM »

This detail from this WP article is really vague, but potentially very disturbing:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/28/nashville-school-shooter/

Drake, the police chief, said investigators had interviewed the shooter’s parents. Hale was receiving a “doctor’s care for an emotional disorder,” Drake told reporters at a news briefing; he did not elaborate on what that disorder was or the nature of the treatment.

Did Hale’s parent believe that being trans was an “emotional disorder”? If so, how exactly were they being “treated” for it?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2023, 09:20:43 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/28/politics/washington-reaction-gun-control-nashville/index.html

Speaker McCarthy says nothing as I said it's not just a 303 map it's a 538 a blue wave hasn't materialized yet but probably especially since Trump may lose a few states will inevitable be the Nominee 303/125. Users especially blue avatars are stuck at 303

A Speaker is different than Party Majority or Minority Leader he is the third in line to Prez that's why with 5 seats he won't be speaker but 1*

Hakeem Jeffries will be Speaker in 25/27 119 th Congress
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »

I hope Hale becomes a Great Villain of LGBT History. This was foreseeable and avoidable, whether the proximate motive had anything to do with gender or not.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2023, 11:10:23 AM »

This detail from this WP article is really vague, but potentially very disturbing:

Drake, the police chief, said investigators had interviewed the shooter’s parents. Hale was receiving a “doctor’s care for an emotional disorder,” Drake told reporters at a news briefing; he did not elaborate on what that disorder was or the nature of the treatment.

Did Hale’s parent believe that being trans was an “emotional disorder”? If so, how exactly were they being “treated” for it?

Right, because someone who killed six innocent people clearly didn’t have an emotional disorder…
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2023, 11:15:32 AM »

...  Honestly, as a Christian in the Nashville area, I feel in my gut that my community was the victim of a hate crime.  And, from talking with others on social media and at a worship and prayer gathering tonight, I'm not alone in that feeling.  BUT, I love how the local community has all come together over the last 36 hours.

I have not seen you post this much in a mass shooting thread, ever.
Like most conservatives, they only tend to give a ____ when it hits "near home."
And they only tend to think about crime and violence as "hate crimes," when it touches their own identity or way of life.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2023, 12:04:36 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 12:08:14 PM by Your False god Won't Save You »

Right, because someone who killed six innocent people clearly didn’t have an emotional disorder…

She was also almost 30 years old. It seems pretty outrageous to assume that parental acceptance was the immediate cause of this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2023, 12:07:21 PM »

Gov. Katie Hobb’s press secretary, Josselyn Berry, has resigned hours after posting a controversial tweet that appeared to encourage gun violence just hours after a mass shooting at an elementary school in Tennessee.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »

Gov. Katie Hobb’s press secretary, Josselyn Berry, has resigned hours after posting a controversial tweet that appeared to encourage gun violence just hours after a mass shooting at an elementary school in Tennessee.

She posted a tweet showing a gifs pointing guns and says she does that to transphobes.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2023, 02:23:10 PM »

As I've said in other threads, the worst part of this is that we all know absolutely nothing will change. Once we collectively decided that allowing deranged, violent sociopaths to get their hands on their tools of murder was a far higher priority than protecting the lives of children after Sandy Hook there was no turning back
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2023, 02:50:09 PM »

Wait I'm confused, do we need to ban trans people from the military because they're weak and frail, or because they're too aggressive? Conservatives want to have it both ways.

Trump is such an evil man.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2023, 02:54:22 PM »

Wait I'm confused, do we need to ban trans people from the military because they're weak and frail, or because they're too aggressive? Conservatives want to have it both ways.

Trump is such an evil man.
What he's saying is their mental weakness is what leads to their physical outburts and aggression.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies