FBI seizes Eric Adams' phone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:07:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI seizes Eric Adams' phone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FBI seizes Eric Adams' phone  (Read 918 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2023, 03:33:02 PM »

Even though he himself is not directly a suspect as noted, it's extremely bad optics. Luckily for him is that there's he's got plently of time until the next election. The question is only when the investigation is completed and how it exactly ends for him.

That may not be so lucky for him, given that he's not even halfway through his term yet; if he's indicted & it's bad, Hochul will come under a lot of pressure to remove him from office.

If he's indicted, yes, though otherwise I meant people may not remember or care anymore in 2025 as long as he's not indicted.

What does that have to do with Hochul? She's the governor and can't remove a mayor from office. Of course, in case he's under indictment, she'll probably call for his resignation, but he wouldn't be under any obligation to follow through. Otherwise I guess the city council as legislative body could remove him?

Yes, she can:

Section 9. Removal of mayor.

The mayor may be removed from office by the governor upon charges and after service upon him of a copy of the charges and an opportunity to be heard in his defense. Pending the preparation and disposition of charges, the governor may suspend the mayor for a period not exceeding thirty days.

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/newyorkcity/latest/NYCcharter/0-0-0-5717

Indeed, impeachment doesn't even exist in NYC & the City Council has no authority or means whatsoever by which they could affect the continuation of Adams' tenure in office; the Mayor can only be removed mid-term by the Governor unilaterally after being suspended for up-to-30 days while being given a chance to respond to the Governor's charges. Cuomo famously held this over BdB's head during their everlasting dick-measuring contest.
Yeesh what a stupid system. Imagine if New York elects a Republican Governor.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2023, 03:38:36 PM »

Even though he himself is not directly a suspect as noted, it's extremely bad optics. Luckily for him is that there's he's got plently of time until the next election. The question is only when the investigation is completed and how it exactly ends for him.

That may not be so lucky for him, given that he's not even halfway through his term yet; if he's indicted & it's bad, Hochul will come under a lot of pressure to remove him from office.

If he's indicted, yes, though otherwise I meant people may not remember or care anymore in 2025 as long as he's not indicted.

What does that have to do with Hochul? She's the governor and can't remove a mayor from office. Of course, in case he's under indictment, she'll probably call for his resignation, but he wouldn't be under any obligation to follow through. Otherwise I guess the city council as legislative body could remove him?

Yes, she can:

The mayor may be removed from office by the governor upon charges and after service upon him of a copy of the charges and an opportunity to be heard in his defense. Pending the preparation and disposition of charges, the governor may suspend the mayor for a period not exceeding thirty days.

Indeed, impeachment doesn't even exist in NYC & the City Council has no authority or means whatsoever by which they could affect the continuation of Adams' tenure in office; the Mayor can only be removed mid-term by the Governor unilaterally after being suspended for up-to-30 days while being given a chance to respond to the Governor's charges. Cuomo famously held this over BdB's head during their everlasting dick-measuring contest.

Yeesh what a stupid system. Imagine if New York elects a Republican Governor.

Such a Gov. would presumably be incentivized not to remove a normal Mayor by the next-in-line Public Advocate (usually) being to the Mayor's left & a special being held within 90 days.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2023, 03:51:45 PM »

Yes, she can:

Thanks for this one, that's interesting. I freely admit that I never heard of that rule.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2023, 12:15:35 PM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2023, 04:42:12 PM »

I'd day he is implicated now...
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2023, 04:54:42 PM »

I would be shocked if Hochul actually removes him from office.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2023, 06:27:51 PM »

First in the line of succession is the NYC Public Advocate, right?

So there’s a chance this whole thing somehow turns into a Jumaane Williams come-back story.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 06:30:15 PM »

So there’s a chance this whole thing somehow turns into a Jumaane Williams come-back story.

The chance of him being indicted is not great, and the chance of him being removed from office less so.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2023, 06:40:57 PM »

The chance of him being indicted is not great, and the chance of him being removed from office less so.

No, it's very good; the FBI doesn't secure a federal judge's authorization to seize the phone of the mayor of the largest city in the country off him on the street in the middle of broad daylight as a first investigative step. The chance of Hochul removing him without the indictment being very bad & the public pressure on her to remove him being very loud, OTOH...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2023, 06:43:49 PM »

Do you know the history of New York politicians? It's very common.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2023, 06:46:54 PM »

In 1 month, this guy is gonna be my mayor. Ugh....
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies