MA-Sen 2024: Warren officially running again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-Sen 2024: Warren officially running again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA-Sen 2024: Warren officially running again  (Read 2677 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2023, 10:01:11 AM »

I didn’t see a mega thread for the 2024 U.S. Senate race in MA, so I created one.

While not a surprise, today Elizabeth Warren officially announced she’s running for re-election. Here’s her announcement video:

Worth noting that both Ayanna Pressley and Michelle Wu appear in the video. Both are ambitious politicians in MA, and it seems neither of them will challenge Warren (not that this was expected… but both could be likely candidates in an open seat race).

As for Republicans, I doubt they get a serious candidate here.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »

Endorsed for Senate, President, and leader of the world.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:46:46 AM »

Of course she expects D's to hold onto OH, AZ, MT and wave insurance Mo, FL and WV and 5 seats in H she doesn't want it she expects it so she can pass Millionaire not poor people wealth Tax, the one Gore and Kerry wanted to pass instead Bush W and Trump irresponsible tax cuts 40/35 percent

We want to go back to Clinton budget 40 percent taxes and 28 percent Corporate taxes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »

She's exactly the kind of person that should be in a safe Senate seat. It's a shame her being intelligent rather than charismatic means she's not very electable, especially for the Presidency.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 09:22:38 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 12:08:28 PM by Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins »

Safe D of course. I wonder how much she underperforms Biden by.

In a democratic year in 2018 she did 5 points below Biden 2020

She underperformed Obama by 7 in 2012 but she was facing an incumbent
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:51:55 PM »

Warren now, Warren forever.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 07:06:47 PM »

Warren will be 75 in 2024 and is not a MA native. She should have retired to make room for Joe Kennedy.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 08:07:01 PM »

Warren will be 75 in 2024 and is not a MA native. She should have retired to make room for Joe Kennedy.

Eh, she seems fit and intelligent still. I would be happy seeing her to retire in 2030 though
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 08:41:11 PM »

my view is that 75 is the age you should check out unless you're in a state that risks it going to the other party (why Fritz Hollings stayed longer than he might otherwise have). You don't want to be accused of blocking the path for the next generation
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »

If that's the case, shes making the best choice IMO
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 09:23:31 PM »

the Kennedys in Massachusetts are an institution.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 09:48:57 PM »

true just ask Sen. Kennedy III
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 09:50:40 PM »

Are you a hunchbacked feudal serf hoping your liege lord will ride up on a horse and throw you some paltry coinage in a sack in exchange for your loyal services?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 10:40:56 PM »

I disagree with both. But between a rich nepotism baby whose grandfather was a Nazi sympathizer and Warren the choice is clear.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 08:40:50 AM »

Endorsed. She can at least serve another term. I don't think the GOP comes up with a serious challenger. Safe D, though I predict Biden will do better.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 09:08:35 AM »

Right also the fact that he, as a Kennedy, managed to lose by like 11 points in a Massachusetts Dem primary shows that maybe that family isn't an institution anymore.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 09:10:02 AM »

Right also the fact that he, as a Kennedy, managed to lose by like 11 points in a Massachusetts Dem primary shows that maybe that family isn't an institution anymore.

Yup, just like Bushes aren't anymore in TX. See George P. Bush's AG run.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 10:38:36 AM »

Congrats on making two of the funniest posts in this forum's history back to back in this thread.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 11:36:21 AM »

RFK Jr is thinking about running in 28 for Prez but we won't know until Biden is reelected he's putting his name out there for 28 not 24 because Harris isn't WC, she's a blk FEM
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »

Kennedy must make it through a primary first (he clearly didn't make a strong case for himself last time).
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 01:12:43 PM »

Excellent she's great
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2023, 03:59:13 PM »

Had it been an open seat, we'd be talking a totally different ballgame
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 08:54:41 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 05:18:52 AM by MillennialModerate »

Had it been an open seat, we'd be talking a totally different ballgame

Fact. JK3 would’ve had at minimum 70-75%

I disagree with both. But between a rich nepotism baby whose grandfather was a Nazi sympathizer and Warren the choice is clear.

GREAT Grandfather. And talk about cherry picking. And he wasn’t a sympathizer he just (wrongly) wanted appeasement to avoid losing American lives in a war. And highlighting the sins of Joe Sr and not the sacrafises of Joe Jr, JFK and RFK - amongst others is manipulatively selective.

Are you a hunchbacked feudal serf hoping your liege lord will ride up on a horse and throw you some paltry coinage in a sack in exchange for your loyal services?

Tell me you’re not from Massachusetts without telling me you’re not from Massachusetts.

One fluke primary doesn’t totally erase the Kennedy’s status in Massachusetts. Is it what it once was? No of course not. But they are most certainly still held in very high regard. In a general election enviorment I think even 40-50% of Republicans would vote a Kennedy in this state

In retrospect - I think the tragic passing of JFK Jr is what has allowed the Kennedy dynasty to *somewhat* fade in the consciousness of New Englanders. Had he survived he’s at minimum a Governor (NY) or Senator (NY?) - potentially a President - and making national news headlines at least a dozen times a year.

Back to JK3 and Massachusetts Senate seats: the reality is the 2020 Senate race was flukey. A perfect storm. Markey astutely attatched himself to the far left movement that gained steam via Bernie and then more so following Trumps election.

It was a moment in time where the base of both parties (more so Dems) fostered deep animosity toward those perceived to be insiders or “well connected”

Turnout was another factor - election day was held PRE-Labor day - in the middle of the summer - during a pandemic - with the brunt of the political energy in the state focused on Biden defeating Trump. Thus the highly motivated latte liberal types and the energized young (and misinformed) “defund the police” types were FAR more likely to turnout then the hard working, middle class, blue collar union types that supported Kennedy.  

If we’re being honest - a loss was unquestionably a disaster for JK3 - and Markey did run a brilliant campaign - once again effectively playing the role of political chameleon - at the same time a Kennedy was the only one who could have even mounted a legitimate challenge to a Massachusetts incumbent in such a scenario - And as I said above if JK3 was the incumbent Markey wouldn’t have received 15% of the vote.

………………….

I voted Scott Brown in ‘12 and Warren in ‘18. She has exceeded my expectations in a big way. She has been a great senator - drastically better than our useless other Senator. Thus there is almost no scenario I wouldn’t back Warren in ‘24. (MAYBE If Baker ran AND it’s crystal clear Dems will have 52 seats then **POSSIBLY**)

I do wish she would step aside and allow Kennedy to take the seat. Although my REAL best case scenario would be Warren stay in the Senate and Kennedy replace Markey in ‘26.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:37 PM »

Back to JK3 and Massachusetts Senate seats: the reality is the 2020 Senate race was flukey. A perfect storm. Markey astutely attatched himself to the far left movement that gained steam via Bernie and then more so following Trumps election.

It was a moment in time where the base of both parties (more so Dems) fostered deep animosity toward those perceived to be insiders or “well connected”

That's the best and really only good thing about Trump's election. Well, that and trade reform.

I voted Scott Brown in ‘12

So you voted to give Mitch McConnell another seat. Nice.

Anyway, three facts remain:

1. It doesn't matter whether you think it was a "fluke" or not. Fact is, Kennedy was supposed to crush Markey. When people realized the contest was between a progressive and a pretty face, they voted for the former.

2. Neither Markey or Warren are likely to retire for some time, so Joe Kennedy's Senate hopes are as dead as his overrated granduncle when his brains were blown out.

3. Warren still lied for political gain when her campaign was failing and she got desperate, so I'm pretty much "whatever" about this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 09:22:13 PM »

It's sad that this snake is still one of the best Democrats.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies