Why do some album lyric booklets intentionally leave out verses with swearing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:36:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why do some album lyric booklets intentionally leave out verses with swearing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do some album lyric booklets intentionally leave out verses with swearing?  (Read 249 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »

I noticed a few album lyric booklets don't print some verses of songs with swearing in them. For example, the booklet of the Incubus album SCIENCE leaves out the last verse to "Deep Inside". Also, the booklet of the Ting Tings album Sounds from Nowheresville, leaves out the last verse to "Hang It Up". What is the reason for this practice?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 11:00:48 PM »

Glassjaw did this with Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence. I remember this was asked decades ago why, and the answer was interesting: The RIAA's Parental Advisory stickers are based on printed lyrics, not lyrics in the actual songs. Glassjaw didn't want a Parental Advisory sticker because they only appear on RIAA released albums yet wanted the image of a more underground and independent band, so they released it edited to avoid one.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 11:17:50 PM »

Glassjaw did this with Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence. I remember this was asked decades ago why, and the answer was interesting: The RIAA's Parental Advisory stickers are based on printed lyrics, not lyrics in the actual songs. Glassjaw didn't want a Parental Advisory sticker because they only appear on RIAA released albums yet wanted the image of a more underground and independent band, so they released it edited to avoid one.
How do you know Parental Advisory labels are only based on what's in the booklet? Why wouldn't Glassjaw just print none of the lyrics in the booklet (which is what Charli XCX does). I doubt Incubus or the Ting Tings care about having an underground image.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:38:15 PM »

How do you know Parental Advisory labels are only based on what's in the booklet? Why wouldn't Glassjaw just print none of the lyrics in the booklet (which is what Charli XCX does). I doubt Incubus or the Ting Tings care about having an underground image.
That's the answer that the band themselves gave. I can't comment on the others. It's possible they just didn't want to have to press a "clean" version of the album as well.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »

That's the answer that the band themselves gave. I can't comment on the others. It's possible they just didn't want to have to press a "clean" version of the album as well.
What are the specific verses to Glassjaw songs that aren't mentioned in the album's booklet?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies