DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system  (Read 898 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2023, 12:03:26 PM »

The real solution is to impose a maximum wage on lawyers. As a lawyer I would happily support a maximum wage. Most lawyers are sickenly money-crazed.

I think the opposite would be a more effective reform - make their base salary so absurdly high that there's basically no incentive for them to take on frivolous lawsuits.
What kind of threshold do you think would be suitable for this approach?

Probably $1,000,000? I dunno, I think you could probably have an economist actually crunch the numbers on it to find out what the optimal salary would be.
If a base salary of a lawyer is a million dollars, then they would be in the top 1% of households.

Yes, they would.

We should pay members of Congress $1M salaries for the same reason. Pay them enough that it becomes absolutely pointless to try and bribe them.

Right, because as we know, once humans reach a certain level of wealth they just stop wanting more.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2023, 12:07:24 PM »

The real solution is to impose a maximum wage on lawyers. As a lawyer I would happily support a maximum wage. Most lawyers are sickenly money-crazed.

I think the opposite would be a more effective reform - make their base salary so absurdly high that there's basically no incentive for them to take on frivolous lawsuits.

Probably $1,000,000? I dunno, I think you could probably have an economist actually crunch the numbers on it to find out what the optimal salary would be.
If a base salary of a lawyer is a million dollars, then they would be in the top 1% of households.

Yes, they would.

We should pay members of Congress $1M salaries for the same reason. Pay them enough that it becomes absolutely pointless to try and bribe them.

Right, because as we know, once humans reach a certain level of wealth they just stop wanting more.

The left is so incoherent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 03:21:52 PM »

Yes, they would.

You guys really think a member of Congress earning a million dollars a year would be just as easy to bribe as one earning a bit over 200k? As noted, individual levels of greed will obviously being affected by one's income regardless in certain circumstances. Or put another way, isn't it a lot easier to suborn a member of Congress earning a bit over 200k a year when over 90% of them have to maintain dual households for their job?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 03:25:25 PM »

You're right, that's why a millionaire is just as likely to commit an armed robbery as someone living in poverty.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »

Those who have time and the stomach for it should read this depressing story about a surgeon in Texas who murdered and maimed patients because he was upset a woman rejected him.

The surviving, now disabled of course, plaintiffs sued and won, but thanks to tort reforms Texas passed in the early aughts, their remedies were minimal.

Republicans are harsher on rape victims seeking abortions than doctors who kill and maim their patients. Deeply disturbing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 03:35:05 PM »

You're right, that's why a millionaire is just as likely to commit an armed robbery as someone living in poverty.

Millionaires steal all the time. They just do it using different means.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »

Yes, they would.

You guys really think a member of Congress earning a million dollars a year would be just as easy to bribe as one earning a bit over 200k? As noted, individual levels of greed will obviously being affected by one's income regardless in certain circumstances. Or put another way, isn't it a lot easier to suborn a member of Congress earning a bit over 200k a year when over 90% of them have to maintain dual households for their job?

200k is big money. Anyone who thinks that is not enough live comfortably is an asshole.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 04:17:27 PM »

200k is big money. Anyone who thinks that is not enough live comfortably is an asshole.

It's hard for me to comprehend how out-of-touch someone would have to be to think that a $200k salary is so inherently low that anyone earning it will still be tempted to seek bribes, but someone earning $1,000,000 won't. The problem is not the salary. It's the venal leeches themselves.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 04:28:59 PM »

It's hard for me to comprehend how out-of-touch someone would have to be to think that a $200k salary is so inherently low that anyone earning it will still be tempted to seek bribes, but someone earning $1,000,000 won't. The problem is not the salary. It's the venal leeches themselves.

It's crazy.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 04:37:23 PM »

I saw the thread title, and I was excited. I thought DeSantis was promoting the ever-underrepresented Torte cakes - would have been "in-character" for him. Deeply disappointing that it's just more bigotry (also something in-character), oh well.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 04:41:05 PM »

Those who have time and the stomach for it should read this depressing story about a surgeon in Texas who murdered and maimed patients because he was upset a woman rejected him.

The surviving, now disabled of course, plaintiffs sued and won, but thanks to tort reforms Texas passed in the early aughts, their remedies were minimal.

Republicans are harsher on rape victims seeking abortions than doctors who kill and maim their patients. Deeply disturbing.

Yeah, basically has to be gross negligence which is almost impossible to achieve, then it's capped and your lawyer gets a cut. So most lawyers don't want to do medical malpractice in Texas because they don't like winning and still having people absolutly furious as them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 06:29:38 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 05:41:39 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Sorry to break into stereotypes here, but I wonder if Palm Beach County regrets voting for him now.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:53 PM »

The litigious nature of the average American meat blob must be reined in. Good to see DeSantis is trying to stop lawyers from further enriching themselves.
I actually agree that this seems to be one good thing.

But that's also making me rethink my ideas on tort reform Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies