Laki's 100 Favourite Films Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Laki's 100 Favourite Films Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Laki's 100 Favourite Films Thread  (Read 1055 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »

Well in the veins of John Dule, i'll do the same as he did, and create a similar thread as well. I mostly want it to advertise some of my favourite films and give them the love and attention that they deserve.

One note: my opinions, my experiences. It's what I like or believe to be a good film, not what critics, consensus or what you're supposed to like. Opinions differ and everyones going to have a unique list (if they don't copy paste someone elses, because there are too many good films and too many different styles and tastes).

Also i wanted to do this for some time (its already pre-created for a long time) but apparently i've never done it, so here we go.

Also, don't expect many updates all at once.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2023, 03:25:11 PM by Senator Laki »

100. Después de Lucía (2012)
Alternative Title: After Lucia
Director: Michel Franco

Let's start with n°100. I've seen many films about bullying or unjustified discrimination, and this Mexican film is probably the best one i've seen. It manages to capture the vibe the best without giving in over cinematography qualities, combining a good story with good film art, and films like this unfortunately have to keep being made to make people aware of what it must feel like to be excluded from society.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 03:24:33 PM »

99. 4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile (2007)
Alternative Title: 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Director: Christian Mungiu

The next film in the list is a well acclaimed Romanian film, set in Romania during the eighties and the oppressive Ceaucescu regime. We are following some Romanian students, of whom one gets pregnant and one wants an abortion. Eventually we see in the film how the students will deal with this issue, in a country where abortion is banned. The film also gives a good view on Romania during the 80s. The acting is well done. The cinematography great, and the overlying tone of the film is dark and depressive. I think it's a well made film and it belongs in my list.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »

98. The Revenant (2015)
Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu

A good film that I could vibe with, a story that kept it interesting for me, and with amazing cinematography. I quite liked this one.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:34:02 PM »

97. Song of the Sea (2014)
Director: Tomm Moore

Beautiful animated film, where I in particular got engaged with the story, while also being impressed with the animation style. I absolutely loved the animation here. Beautiful well designed. Also, i like that it isn't an overactive animation film or one that specifically caters to one age group, like many today are.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »

I like such historic movies and impressed by how this guy survived despite an bear attack and despite winter conditions

And also magnificent photography and images
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 01:01:22 AM »

The Revenant is EXCELLENT and underappreciated in many film nerd social circles. Glad to see it here.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 05:15:47 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFh5KXEm_9U

Also excellent CGI
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 10:32:12 PM »

96. Yeopgijeogin Geunyeo (2001)
Alternative Title: My Sassy Girl / 엽기적인 그녀
Director: Kwak Jae-yong

Next is a somewhat now forgotten South Korean romcom film, and one i've seen quite a while ago. I enjoyed this one a lot. Good, genuinely fun. A very good and excellent film that deserves more attention.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 10:37:16 PM »

95. Majo no Takkyûbin (1989)
Alternative Title: Kiki's Delivery Service /  魔女の宅急便
Director: Hayao Miyazaki

Kiki's Delivery Service is an excellent anime film from the well known Studio Ghibli directed by Miyazaki. Whereas My Neighbor Totoro is perhaps the ultimate feel good film for toddlers, this one has more that same vibe but for elementary school children instead. And just like Totoro where sometimes you experience that "nothing happens but the vibes" vibe, the same applies here as well. It has less plot than later Miyazaki films such as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle, but that of course can be a good thing. This one is a rightful classic that maybe sometimes is forgotten due to the sheer general quality of Miyazakis other films and the good quality in output generally from Japan's most legendary animation studio.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 10:41:41 PM »

I like such historic movies and impressed by how this guy survived despite an bear attack and despite winter conditions

And also magnificent photography and images

The Revenant is EXCELLENT and underappreciated in many film nerd social circles. Glad to see it here.

Thanks for the comments, i like that more people appreciate it. I've seen that sometimes it gets the label overrated (among some) but I disagree with that. So i'm glad to see these comments.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 09:28:53 PM »

94. The Thing (1982)
Alternative Title: John Carpenter's The Thing
Director: John Carpenter

It's been a while ago since i've seen this one but I remember absolutely loving it. A great horror flick that is a rightful classic and that every or at least every horror fan should at least have seen once.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 09:30:58 PM »

93. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Director: Martin Scorsese

This one grew a bit on me, especially after rewatching it first. It's a bit long but it gets never boring which is important for a long film. It's a fun rise & fall story that is iconic and deserves to be in my top 100. Great acting performances too.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 04:38:18 AM »

92. Stand By Me (1986)
Director: Rob Reiner

Great coming-of-age classic from the 1980's with a good engaging story. I really liked this film. It also has great acting performances with a young Will Wheaton and a young River Phoenix in the cast. A rightful American classic.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 04:41:04 AM »

91. The Guest (2014)
Director: Adam Wingard

Enjoyable action/thriller flick, being more well known among cult film circles than in critics film circles. Good acting performances by Dan Stevens and Maika Monroe, a bit unfortunate that the latter has been unnoticed in recent years because she definitely has a lot of talent. Very enjoyable and fun film. And great cinematography, good story as well. Been a while though since i've last seen it.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 08:57:16 PM »

90. Lilya 4-Ever (2002)
Alternative Title: Lilja-4-Ever
Director: Lukas Moodysson

Coming of age film about human trafficking and sex slavery set in the former USSR but produced by Sweden. Very good but depressive film that deserves a spot in my top 100.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2023, 09:02:01 PM »

89. Grave (2017)
Alternative Title: Raw
Director: Julia Ducourneau

Great psychological horror film set in France, with again a relatively young but stellar cast. Great cinematography and good story. Especially like the atmosphere and vibes of this film.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2023, 05:02:31 PM »

I knew it as 'Raw' and I thought it was great too. Pretty gross, but very intriguing. I wouldn't really call it a horror film though. It's more like if David Cronenberg were to ever make a coming-of-age drama film.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 01:26:07 AM »

I knew it as 'Raw' and I thought it was great too. Pretty gross, but very intriguing. I wouldn't really call it a horror film though. It's more like if David Cronenberg were to ever make a coming-of-age drama film.

Psychological "horror" is something most horror fans would not classify as horror. Raw is the English title. And agreed.

Glad you liked the film.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2023, 03:43:13 AM »

88. Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011)
Alternative Titles: جدایی نادر از سیمین, A Separation
Director: Asghar Farhadi

Excellent Iranian family / divorce drama with great acting and great storywriting that I really got engaged into. Not everyone knows that Iran has great films, but this is definitely a film you can give a shot and that will rarely disappoint people.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2023, 03:46:08 AM »

87. Le trou (1960)
Director: Jacques Becker

This older French film might be the best prison escape (attempt) film i've seen so far though A Man Escaped which is also an older French film is also a great one. And Escape from Alcatraz and The Shawshank Redemption are great prison films too. Great story, love that the scenes take their time to make you really feel part of the attempted escape here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 02:39:43 PM »

86. Ai no mukidashi (2008)
Alternative Titles: Love Exposure / 愛のむきだし
Director: Sion Sono

This is a 4 hour long Japanese epic film that is mindblowing and absolutely crazy and never was bored with. Lots of genres are fused together in what was a great movie experience with the typical Japanese vibes centered on themes such as love and religion. Great one.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 02:44:16 PM »

85. Waves (2019)
Director: Trey Edward Shults

This is a tragic American film that was a real good effort to tell a good story with the nuances. There is room for a lot of emotions, and is kind of a period film, with good and bad events, similarly to how waves behave, hence the title. Acting is superb. Cinematography is superb as well. A bit of an underrated and overlooked American film set in South Florida.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2023, 03:27:29 PM »

84. Beach Rats (2017)
Director: Eliza Hittman

This is a film set in New York or one of its districts about a young man looking for his identity, being lost and searching for himself. In terms of theme, maybe not the most original, but I really especially liked the atmosphere, setting and in particular the dark grit style of filming. Well made film!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2023, 03:31:50 PM »

83. The Lighthouse (2019)
Director: Robert Eggers

I'm a sucker for style, and this film directed by Robert Eggers (a promising director who has also directed The VVitch and The Northman) is no exception to that. The film has a good unsettling and eerie atmosphere which attracts me, and the plot is despite being slow-moving engaging enough for me to be invested in the story. Also proof that actors like Robert Pattinson & Willem Dafoe know for what projects they have to sign for, given they frequently appear in films i like. Pattinson also is an example of someone who managed to shake off that child actor vibe. A great film.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies