Democrats who could fit into European right wing parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:26:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Democrats who could fit into European right wing parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats who could fit into European right wing parties  (Read 1175 times)
AtorBoltox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »

I know one of the least favourite takes of this forum is that 'democrats would be centre right in Europe' and for good reason. With that being said, there are at least some prominent democrats who I think this could accurately apply to, albeit mainly for western and northern europe (can't imagine even the most conservative democrat being in Fidesz). People like Joe Lieberman I could comfortably picture in the moderate wing of the British Tories, same with Michael Bloomberg, who is really only a democrat in the most nominal sense. Can anyone think of any other examples and the 'type' of politician and/or voter this may apply to?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »

An obvious example would be Josh Gottheimer.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 05:38:56 PM »

Joe Manchin's an obvious choice
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 08:40:35 PM »

Sinema, Manchin, Lieberman, Max Baucus, anyone who supports what Macron is doing with France’s retirement age.
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 10:09:16 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2023, 10:44:56 PM by Mr. Ukucasha »

I know one of the least favourite takes of this forum is that 'democrats would be centre right in Europe' and for good reason. With that being said, there are at least some prominent democrats who I think this could accurately apply to, albeit mainly for western and northern europe (can't imagine even the most conservative democrat being in Fidesz). People like Joe Lieberman I could comfortably picture in the moderate wing of the British Tories, same with Michael Bloomberg, who is really only a democrat in the most nominal sense. Can anyone think of any other examples and the 'type' of politician and/or voter this may apply to?

No. Bloomberg was literally endorsed by London's Labour mayor Sadiq Khan during the 2020 Democratic Primaries.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 10:38:57 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2023, 11:01:28 PM by S019 »

With the rise of the far right in much of Europe, I think there would actually be much fewer than many expect. But people like Gottheimer and Bloomberg would probably be ex-Tories who left the party some time after Brexit and are Lib Dems now, maybe they joined ChUK somewhere in between. I honestly could also see Gottheimer be a Centrist New Labour style figure, he did come out of Clinton world and New Labour definitely had its fair share of figures who would be out of place in Labour in general.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 03:08:18 AM »

No. Bloomberg was literally endorsed by London's Labour mayor Sadiq Khan during the 2020 Democratic Primaries.

Khan would certainly be a Democrat in the United States, but that's not the question.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 01:44:55 PM »

I see Jared Polis being part of the "liberal" faction of a European conservative party or being part of a faction that is more economically liberal in a European liberal party.

Also, John Delaney - a former CEO of a publicly traded company would almost certainly be on the right almost anywhere but the United States. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »

About half of them - although that half doesn't really include Manchin.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 05:40:27 PM »

Unless we're counting, say, Fianna Fail or the old DC.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »

AIUI Dan Lipinski, formerly one of the House Democratic Caucus's sh**ttiest most conservative members, would find himself at home in the German Christian Democratic Union. Lipinski self-advertises as the Pope Leo XIII Fellow on Social Thought at the University of Dallas, expressing a strong affiliation for the type of Catholic social teaching common among Christian Democrats. That said it's worth noting Lipinski himself wavers on still identifying as a Democrat given his obvious squabbles ref. the party's liberalization and secularization.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »

Unless we're counting, say, Fianna Fail or the old DC.

Giuseppe Mancini might even be in one of the hilarious microparties who still call themselves DC, especially since the one based in Sicily did quite well at the regionals last year.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 08:28:08 AM »

the current NYC mayor would fit well in the N-VA, in the sense that they both have strong ties to real estate developers with cocaine addictions and are all bluster and no substance.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 12:40:22 PM »

Why not Manchin?

Not that I disagree, just would like some elaboration on that point.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »

Sinema, Manchin, Lieberman, Max Baucus, anyone who supports what Macron is doing with France’s retirement age.

I disagree here. The Social Democratic Party of Germany voted to increase the pension age to 67 about a decade ago. Macron's reform isn't really that radical.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies