NJ hassels new mothers for "neglect" because they failed a drug test because they had a bagel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:42:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NJ hassels new mothers for "neglect" because they failed a drug test because they had a bagel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ hassels new mothers for "neglect" because they failed a drug test because they had a bagel  (Read 171 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2023, 06:23:43 AM »

ACLU (so you can calm down red avs)
Two women, represented by the ACLU of New Jersey, filed complaints today with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR) for violations of their civil rights after they were drug tested without their knowledge or informed consent and in the absence of medical necessity upon arriving at the hospital to give birth. The filings for Kaitlin K. and Kate L. allege that Hackensack University Medical Center and Virtua Voorhees Hospital’s practice of drug testing pregnant patients violates New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination on the basis of sex and pregnancy and seeks, among other relief, that both hospitals end this unlawful practice.

Both women’s tests returned positive for opiates based on their consumption of a bagel with poppy seeds the morning they went to the hospital.  Based on these tests , the hospitals called the New Jersey Department of Child Protection and Permanency (DCPP) to report both women for possible abuse or neglect before they even had the chance to parent their newborn children. This led to an invasive, traumatic investigation of each woman’s family that interfered with their first months with their newborns, shattered their trust in medical personnel, and caused fear of further unnecessary scrutiny from the state.

“No one should be subjected to unnecessary and nonconsensual drug tests. Our clients are sending a clear message to hospitals that these testing and reporting policies are unacceptable,” says ACLU-NJ Staff Attorney Molly Linhorst. “Discriminatory testing policies like these upend what should be a time of joy for families, and so often subject them to further trauma and unwarranted investigation by the state.”
other states that do this (or did this in the recent past) include, PA,NY,IL,AL and MD.  We all know the "war on drugs" has been a huge failure, why are we still fighting it?
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 11:55:07 AM »

This is insane.  Meanwhile CPS is totally fine with ignoring actual abuse cases and leaving children in terrible conditions.  Sometimes I wonder how our institutions have failed us so badly
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 12:24:53 PM »

This is insane.  Meanwhile CPS is totally fine with ignoring actual abuse cases and leaving children in terrible conditions.  Sometimes I wonder how our institutions have failed us so badly
From what I've heard, CPS tends to be excessively hard on poor people and ridiculously lenient if you're middle class .
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:22:34 PM »

I don't think this is going to end.

The practice of monitoring criminals, drug addicts and their lying ways is only going to increase.

The bagel story is just a story. If the positive opiate test was caused by bagel's, then surely a drug screening test for the next 12 months at quarterly intervals would be something an innocent person would be happy to agree to.

Opioids stay in your hair for 90 days, so 4 tests a year and you are done.

I like certain civil liberties, and not others. For example, if you only need 8% of the DNA of Americans to solve every cold case in the country, I would propose random roadside DNA testing when alcohol and drug testing take place.

Get as much DNA into the database as possible. Forensic DNA analysis is an amazing scientific tool that is not being utilised as readily and easily as it should.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 08:23:09 PM »

From what I've heard, CPS tends to be excessively hard on poor people and ridiculously lenient if you're middle class .

Poor people shouldn’t have kids
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies