Vipers and Thieves: an alternate rise and fall of the Whig Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vipers and Thieves: an alternate rise and fall of the Whig Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vipers and Thieves: an alternate rise and fall of the Whig Party  (Read 312 times)
ListMan38
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2023, 02:38:01 AM »

Part 0: Prologue

My Dear Friend Mr Martin Van Buren,

Since May of last year, I trust that you have worked to your fullest to ensure the success of the Democratic campaign. I can state that in all certainty that I and the Democrat machine have worked closely to ensure such to be the case.

Alas, if the reports I have been told are true, this has absolutely not been the case. Supposedly, the Kentuckian's gambit has proven successful beyond what he could possibly foresee, and the Whig candidates' have attained an electoral majority. I reckon that the Kentuckian's gambit was an electoral non-majority, likewise to the corrupt bargain of twelve years ago, and broker a loose deal with the South, Calhoun, and some defection-prone Democrats. However, if the reports are correct, then Harrison has outperformed that scenario altogether.

Do not lose heart, my friend. As you certainly know, I have been slighted by the Kentuckian's schemes previously, and he is no popular man. Someday, somehow, the Whigs will fall just as the Adams Republicans have.

Sincerely,
Andrew Jackson

Diplomat William Henry Harrison (W-OH)/Representative Francis Granger (W-NY): 162 Electoral Votes, 628,254 votes (42.2%)
Vice President Martin Van Buren (D-NY)/Representative Richard Johnson (D-KY): 72 Electoral Votes, 658,132 votes (44.2%)
Senator Hugh White (W-TN)/Senator John Tyler (W-VA): 35 Electoral Votes, 153,307 votes (10.3%)
Senator Daniel Webster (W-MA)/Representative Francis Granger (W-NY): 14 Electoral Votes, 50,024 votes (3.4%)
Senator Willie Mangum (W-NC)/Senator John Tyler (W-VA): 11 Electoral Votes
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 02:48:13 AM »

The Panic of 1837 might have a similar impact on the Whigs as the Panic of 1893 had on Bourbon Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies