Dammit, I'm being laid off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:19:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Dammit, I'm being laid off
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dammit, I'm being laid off  (Read 1326 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:34:07 PM »

I still have 60 days to go, and if I stick around until then I'll get severance pay (not sure exactly how much yet but if based on tenure which looks likely I'll get credit for at least 4 years worth, could be pretty nice)...but yeah first time in my life. Sad

At least this is also like literally the lowest unemployment of my life but quite a blow. At least this might allow met to get an office/at least hybrid job again because I missed the social interaction and don't have a lot of work friends anymore, I had so many in my 20s.

Still this is not a pleasant day...blech. Sad
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 06:35:32 PM »

This is your big chance to start the greatest Midwest emo band the world has ever seen! (Should be a low bar.)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:48:26 PM »

Condolences. I hope you make the most out of this.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:13:41 PM »

That sucks man, I'm sorry. What industry do you work in?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 08:14:50 PM »

Sorry friend. The job hunt is a pain in the ass.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:57:41 PM »

That sucks man, I'm sorry. What industry do you work in?
Student loans which is even more of a clusterf[inks] behind the scenes than in reality. The issue being Department of Education has to cut what they're paying, probably due to lack of payments and thus I bet they can't afford my site anymore

I still have quite awhile before I even need to collect unemployment at least and it's literally the lowest unemployment rate of my lifetime.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:11:23 PM »

Join the Navy. 

I have no idea why, but the powers-that-be at the Pentagon raised the max enlistment age to like 45.  I can absolutely see you as an analyst of some sort (HUMINT, SIGINT, ELINT, whatever).  Get you some national security credentials, bruh.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:36:06 PM »

Sorry to hear this BRTD.

I hope you are able to find a new in person job (that is not located in a Trump precinct)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 09:38:43 PM »

Join the Navy.  

I have no idea why, but the powers-that-be at the Pentagon raised the max enlistment age to like 45.  I can absolutely see you as an analyst of some sort (HUMINT, SIGINT, ELINT, whatever).  Get you some national security credentials, bruh.
NO I AM NOT SEEING THE WORD SIGNIT OFF WORK NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I HATE DODMS I HATE THEM SO MUCH

Oh also Yvan eht nioj meme
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 09:40:36 PM »

Join the Navy.  

I have no idea why, but the powers-that-be at the Pentagon raised the max enlistment age to like 45.  I can absolutely see you as an analyst of some sort (HUMINT, SIGINT, ELINT, whatever).  Get you some national security credentials, bruh.

You're GEOINT, though, if I recall, right?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 09:42:00 PM »

Join the Navy.  

You're GEOINT, though, if I recall, right?
Nope. Didn’t get accepted to that one.

I am interning with GAO and I am looking at some DOD Intelligence stuff though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 09:51:37 PM »

So sorry to hear. I was wondering why there would suddenly be budget cuts in Minnesota, but your job is federal.

Praying for a good outcome. New doors will open.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 11:24:03 PM »

Sorry to hear that mate, Capitalist austerity measures hit the public sector as well as the private sector.

Time to brush up on your KSE's, create tailor resumes based upon your future career goals.

Old saying for every door that closes another one opens.

Plus current job environment benefits Labor over Capital, so maybe you could end up better off, especially if you are willing to relocate.

You can do it... plus maybe you can bring a Union into a work environment as well. Wink

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 11:39:07 PM »

that sucks dude, but like you said, best time ever to be looking for a job.  With a good work history, you could have good job in a few days.  Good luck.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 12:07:49 AM »

that sucks dude, but like you said, best time ever to be looking for a job.  With a good work history, you could have good job in a few days.  Good luck.
I've been here almost 5 years and have had multiple cross skillings and worked in training, is that a "good work history"? Most of my previous work was various business call centers. Also some Medicare stuff.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 12:09:27 AM »

I've been here almost 5 years and have had multiple cross skillings and worked in training, is that a "good work history"? Most of my previous work was various business call centers. Also some Medicare stuff.
yes, but I mainly meant just showing up consistently and on time and no long periods of unemployment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 12:10:07 AM »

yes, but I mainly meant just showing up consistently and on time and no long periods of unemployment.
Oh yeah. I haven't been unemployed at any point since 2008.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 12:11:07 AM »

Also found this very encouraging article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/layoff-workers-how-are-they-doing
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 12:34:12 AM »

Always interview like a Pimp.

That's why geography boi didn't get the job.  lol

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 11:26:08 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2023, 08:30:51 AM by Meclazine »

Best of luck in the future.

Getting laid off or losing a contract makes you feel like a turtle tipped on their back with no one helping. It makes you dizzy and you succumb to your own self doubt. However that is the wiring or structure of your brain.

Unfortunately, all humans are wired this way, so in a period where you are working and you know the work is coming to an end, it can make you feel like an imposter. No one wants to feel that way.

I run contracts which start and stop. The stopping process sucks. Ultimately, you can turn it into a positive when you get your next position or contract.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 11:52:14 PM »

So sorry to hear. I was wondering why there would suddenly be budget cuts in Minnesota, but your job is federal.

No offense to BRTD and I wish him great luck but he also did say he was doing literally nothing at work.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2023, 08:44:04 AM »

I'm so sorry buddy Sad

IDK if this is what you're looking for, but this blog has a lot of good resources on resumes, cover letters, etc.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2023, 10:40:02 AM »

I would still try to get a job before your layoff hits.  HR departments have a prejudice toward the long-term unemployed.   The best way to get a job is to have a job.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 01:18:49 PM »

No offense to BRTD and I wish him great luck but he also did say he was doing literally nothing at work.
That was hyperbolic and we have more work now although that's about to end at the time of my end involving accounts mergers. The reason is we got a pay cut from the government and they decided to consolidate the division to only people in Nebraska, Wisconsin and the area around Brownsville, TX. That might sound like an arbitrary grouping, but Nebraska is where the company is headquartered, Wisconsin where the company they bought and are merging accounts was headquartered, and Brownsville is obviously for need of bilingual people, and probably cheaper than the DFW area where we had an HQ.

What hurts though is the excuse given is that additional security requirements next year will require something called a "PIVI card" which needs to be granted in person meaning employees will have to live in accessible distance of a physical office. Except we still have one open in the area and even if it closes at the end of the year which it no doubt will the office in Eau Claire is closer to us than many other spots in Wisconsin. I think they just can't afford our office anymore.

Anyway after checking job listings I'm feeling better. Most even pay the same/better. And I did DoorDash last night as kind of a test...it worked out well, I think I could rely on stuff like that and some other gigs if needed in the interim, although I'm not planning on it coming to that.

I would still try to get a job before your layoff hits.  HR departments have a prejudice toward the long-term unemployed.   The best way to get a job is to have a job.
I probably will and in fact intend to apply for a different job internally that's available remotely, but if I time it right I can start a new job right after getting a large severance package. And even then it wouldn't be long term unemployment if I got a new one in the summer. Also doing things like Capsule Pharmacy and DoorDash not only gives income but can be used to fill employment gaps, it's not traditional employment but it also shows that you're not some Bushie-type who just wants to sit on their ass and do little. So I'm feeling a lot more confident now.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »

Sorry to hear that mate, Capitalist austerity measures hit the public sector as well as the private sector.

Time to brush up on your KSE's, create tailor resumes based upon your future career goals.

Old saying for every door that closes another one opens.

Plus current job environment benefits Labor over Capital, so maybe you could end up better off, especially if you are willing to relocate.

You can do it... plus maybe you can bring a Union into a work environment as well. Wink

How is Biden cancelling/halting student loan payments capitalist austerity?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies