what is your local mythological beast (if your area has one) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:10:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  what is your local mythological beast (if your area has one) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what is your local mythological beast (if your area has one)  (Read 555 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: March 23, 2023, 12:16:07 PM »

I Googled this out of curiosity because the only mythical creature I heard about growing up other than Bigfoot and such was the Jersey Devil, but I only read about that creature in little coffee table books at the vacation houses we'd rent in the summer. Interesting stuff, and I've always been captivated by these sorts of paranormal legends.

Anyway, apparently there's a creature called a Squonk that supposedly lives in the woods in Northern PA:

This bit from Wikipedia shattered my heart:

Unlike many mythological creatures, the supposed physical characteristics of the squonk remain unchanged from the original written account, which states:

The squonk is of a very retiring disposition, generally traveling about at twilight and dusk. Because of its misfitting skin, which is covered with warts and moles, it is always unhappy...Hunters who are good at tracking are able to follow a squonk by its tear-stained trail, for the animal weeps constantly. When cornered and escape seems impossible, or when surprised and frightened, it may even dissolve itself in tears.

— William T. Cox, "The Squonk", Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods (1910)[1]

This guy and I are kindred spirits. New favorite cryptid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies