The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:00:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island?  (Read 719 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: March 22, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »

Source? Let's hear it for Virginia!!

But these numbers don't surprise me, unfortunately. Nor does the fact that Episcopal churches are concentrated in the East and especially New England.

If there's data for Congregationalists, I'd assume they're almost completely exclusive to New England.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »

Source? Let's hear it for Virginia!!

But these numbers don't surprise me, unfortunately. Nor does the fact that Episcopal churches are concentrated in the East and especially New England.

If there's data for Congregationalists, I'd assume they're almost completely exclusive to New England.

Isn't the UCC Congregationalist? They're all over the country.

The UCC is the result of mergers between other churches, and is itself a relatively new denomination, founded in 1957. My UCC college chaplain, who is now retired, was a member of one of those churches before the merger. But Congregationalists trace their lineage back to the Puritans, who basically established theocracy in the Massachusetts Bay Colony and that is where their oldest churches are. Obviously they haven't retained much of anything from their Puritan roots, except for elements of the Reformed ecclesiastical polity.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:14:22 AM »

DC is the most Episcopalian of the metros...ahead of Boston/NYC/Philly.  I guess that makes sense that DC is more Protestant, has virtually no WWC and Episcopalianism attracts both northeastern and southern elites.

The Washington National Cathedral is an Episcopal church, so that's not too surprising. It was the denomination of some of the Founders, who were forced to estalish a new church post-Independence because the Church of England cut ties with us. But that's all history and most mainline churches are in communion with each other now.

I'm definitely not part of the elite. I basically joined because I agree with Catholics on a lot of things but am totally out of line with them on social issues, for the most part.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies