The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The most Episcopalian state is...Rhode Island?  (Read 707 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:30:27 PM »
« edited: March 22, 2023, 08:14:48 PM by King of Kensington »

Here's the states where they're at least 3% of the population.

Rhode Island  4%
Connecticut  3%
Maine  3%
Maryland  3%
New Hampshire  3%
Virginia  3%

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »

Source? Let's hear it for Virginia!!

But these numbers don't surprise me, unfortunately. Nor does the fact that Episcopal churches are concentrated in the East and especially New England.

If there's data for Congregationalists, I'd assume they're almost completely exclusive to New England.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 07:44:16 PM »

The Pew religious landscape study:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 07:47:37 PM »

And yes they are:

Congregationalist

Connecticut  5%
Maine  4%
New Hampshire  4%
Massachusetts  3%
Vermont  3%

Less than 1% everywhere else (including Rhode Island).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:16 PM »

But these numbers don't surprise me, unfortunately. Nor does the fact that Episcopal churches are concentrated in the East and especially New England.

If there's data for Congregationalists, I'd assume they're almost completely exclusive to New England.
Weirdly enough I've twice gone primarily to a church that meets in a Congregationalist church (and two different ones) including my current one. But I've never attended an actual Congregationalist service unless you count our joint Good Friday one a few years ago.

But Amy Klobuchar is a Congregationalist so they're not exactly foreign to Minnesota.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:05:06 AM »

Isn't the UCC Congregationalist? They're all over the country.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:56:01 AM »

Sheldon Whitehouse is an Episcopalian, and also perhaps one of the last true “WASPs”, in the narrow sense of that term, to serve at a high level in government.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »

The UCC is the result of mergers between other churches, and is itself a relatively new denomination, founded in 1957. My UCC college chaplain, who is now retired, was a member of one of those churches before the merger. But Congregationalists trace their lineage back to the Puritans, who basically established theocracy in the Massachusetts Bay Colony and that is where their oldest churches are. Obviously they haven't retained much of anything from their Puritan roots, except for elements of the Reformed ecclesiastical polity.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 04:49:14 PM »

DC is the most Episcopalian of the metros...ahead of Boston/NYC/Philly.  I guess that makes sense that DC is more Protestant, has virtually no WWC and Episcopalianism attracts both northeastern and southern elites.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 09:14:22 AM »

DC is the most Episcopalian of the metros...ahead of Boston/NYC/Philly.  I guess that makes sense that DC is more Protestant, has virtually no WWC and Episcopalianism attracts both northeastern and southern elites.

The Washington National Cathedral is an Episcopal church, so that's not too surprising. It was the denomination of some of the Founders, who were forced to estalish a new church post-Independence because the Church of England cut ties with us. But that's all history and most mainline churches are in communion with each other now.

I'm definitely not part of the elite. I basically joined because I agree with Catholics on a lot of things but am totally out of line with them on social issues, for the most part.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 06:37:14 PM »

The UCC is the result of mergers between other churches, and is itself a relatively new denomination, founded in 1957. My UCC college chaplain, who is now retired, was a member of one of those churches before the merger. But Congregationalists trace their lineage back to the Puritans, who basically established theocracy in the Massachusetts Bay Colony and that is where their oldest churches are. Obviously they haven't retained much of anything from their Puritan roots, except for elements of the Reformed ecclesiastical polity.

There is also a smaller conservative Congregationalist body (similar to say the relationship PCA has to PCUSA) known as the Conservative Christian Congregational Conference that adheres more closely to Puritan roots but whose geographic distribution is similar to the UCC. Interestingly, their headquarters is in Minnesota.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 11:24:39 PM »

There is also a smaller conservative Congregationalist body (similar to say the relationship PCA has to PCUSA) known as the Conservative Christian Congregational Conference that adheres more closely to Puritan roots but whose geographic distribution is similar to the UCC. Interestingly, their headquarters is in Minnesota.
I had heard of them but wasn't aware they were headquartered here, huh.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 02:24:42 PM »

It's certainly not surprising that Rhode Island would be the least Congregationalist state in New England, considering its colonial history; it was founded by outcasts form Puritan Massachusetts.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:35 PM »

Meanwhile, 5% of the Senate is Episcopalian, at least according to Wikipedia
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies