Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:08:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates  (Read 722 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« on: March 23, 2023, 09:22:48 PM »

Why the arbitrary age 56 cutoff?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 02:48:11 PM »

Unlike a lot of folks here, I think the main job of a veep is to take over leadership of the party once the POTUS can no longer run.  Hence, I think it's important not to pick anybody who's too old to reliably run two presidential campaigns.  To be fair, though, I could probably push that age limit back to 60.

Disagree. The main job of the Vice President is to be able to take over the presidency at a moments notice. Political considerations are secondary. I am not against a younger VP, lord knows we need younger leadership in this country, but an arbitrary cutoff line excludes many people who would be very good at the job.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »

Hypothetically she will need a white old man, preferably a governor from a mild blue state.

Problem is there aren't any.
Phil Murphy comes to mind but republicans came awfully close for the New Jersey governorship.

Polis is too young.
Inslee is too vulnerable to attack due to Seattle.
I wouldn't touch an Illinois governor just for the chances he gets a criminal record.

So that leaves white old senators from states republicans can't hope to win races in, like Blumenthal.

How about Tim Walz? Not that old, would be 64 in 2028*, but a two term governor of a purpleish state who also spent 12 years in the House.

* I am assuming a Harris run would be in 2028 because Biden is 99% likely to be the 2024 Dem candidate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies