Solano County, California Ancestry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Solano County, California Ancestry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Solano County, California Ancestry  (Read 526 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2024, 12:33:33 AM »

I was looking at ancestry via Redistricter and Solano County stood out for having extremely high "other" ancestry. Yolo and Napa Counties also have unusually high "other" numbers too. I looked at the census website and the ACS has it as "European". This is for single ancestry numbers, multiple ancestry numbers have European as minimal.

Is there anything real to this, where the area has an uncommon European ancestry? Or is it just a data error or quirk?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 01:03:52 AM »

I was looking at ancestry via Redistricter and Solano County stood out for having extremely high "other" ancestry. Yolo and Napa Counties also have unusually high "other" numbers too. I looked at the census website and the ACS has it as "European". This is for single ancestry numbers, multiple ancestry numbers have European as minimal.

Is there anything real to this, where the area has an uncommon European ancestry? Or is it just a data error or quirk?

Not that I can think of.  Irish, Italian, German, English would probably be main ones, but may have some Portuguese although I think that is more inland.  They do have a sizeable Jewish community around 5% so some there might identify as other never mind Jewish community tends to come from a variety of countries although mostly Eastern European as vast majority in US are Ashkenazi Jews.  But otherwise cannot think why.
kwabbit

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 01:10:31 AM »

Not that I can think of.  Irish, Italian, German, English would probably be main ones, but may have some Portuguese although I think that is more inland.  They do have a sizeable Jewish community around 5% so some there might identify as other never mind Jewish community tends to come from a variety of countries although mostly Eastern European as vast majority in US are Ashkenazi Jews.  But otherwise cannot think why.

High Jewish ancestry usually results in higher Other, but mainly it goes into Eastern European or a specific group i.e Iranian Jews in Great Neck or Beverly Hills. So it's not Jewish. All of the other ancestries you mentioned were listed. I think somehow the form was botched and large numbers selected European without choosing a sub-ancestry.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 02:51:58 AM »

Is it possibly Azoreans? I know there's a decent sized community in the Valley and maybe they haven't self-IDed as Portuguese for whatever reason.
kwabbit

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »

Is it possibly Azoreans? I know there's a decent sized community in the Valley and maybe they haven't self-IDed as Portuguese for whatever reason.

That could possibly be it, as Azorean is not a separate option on the ACS, but IIRC most Portuguese in the US are Azorean and "other" does not predominate in other parts of the US with significant Portuguese ancestry like RI/Bristol County or the Southern Central Valley.

It's clear from the ancestry map why so many CV Congressmen are Portuguese. I've before wondered why there were so many, but it is the leading White ancestry and the local GOP is built more established Portuguese while the local Dems are built around farm working Latinos.
kwabbit

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 01:46:17 AM »

The same phenomenon occurs in Travis County, Texas, mostly in the Whiter western half, where it's less likely to be from Latinos choosing White other or something like that. ACS also has a similar result.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 07:06:54 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2024, 12:24:13 AM by CentristRepublican »

Ik for a fact that Yuba County, at least, has a not-insignificant population of Punjabi-Mexicans - iirc the descendants of Mexican women who bore children with Punjabi men.

EDIT: Idk if this is still relevant, but I confused Yolo with Yuba - it's Yuba County/City that has Punjabi Americans, not Yolo County.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 05:43:42 PM »

Ik for a fact that Yolo County, at least, has a not-insignificant population of Punjabi-Mexicans - iirc the descendants of Mexican women who bore children with Punjabi men.
That's one of the coolest uniquely American ethnic groups
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies